BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > Sound is important, but how important really?

05-14-2018, 10:46 AM   #1
norMcal
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Porsche GT4 & 2013 VW GTI

Sound is important, but how important really?

A lot of the debate around the M2 Competition is about the sound of the S55, or lack thereof. So I ask myself, is it really that important? Of course we all love a great soundtrack from our cars, no doubt about it. If I had it my way I would have a GT3, or a V10 Lambo, or a Maserati in my stable, and the sound alone would be worth the price of admission. But here are a couple of observations I've made regarding engine sound.

My DD (VW GTI) and my track toy/recreational vehicle (e46 M3) vary greatly in sound. And admittedly the sound of the e46 M3 with euro headers and modified muffler adds a lot to the driving pleasure, as far as it "feeling" faster, but in reality it isn't one bit faster because of the sound. So yes, it does add a certain value to the senses. However, does that mean I don't appreciate the performance, torque, dynamics of the GTI? No, absolutely not. Even though it sounds like an ordinary car, I don't find myself wishing it sounded different. It makes up for it with that turbo torque and ultimately the performance is what makes this car what it is.

My second observation is from a friend of mine's last two cars. He was leasing a Maserati the last few years, which is arguably one of the most glorious sounding cars on the market. However, he wanted a sportier car again and decided on a 991 GTS. He struggled with that decision for a long time. The sound was high on his list of criteria, yet he ended up going for the 991.2 turbo GTS, and not the 991.1 N/A GTS. Why? Because ultimately the performance was what mattered. And 3 months later he has no regrets and that is from a person who had a fabulous sounding car and did not want to give that up.

I've driven both his cars, and had the pleasure of even driving the GTS on track recently. The way I see it, once you have a car that performs like this, you forget about the sound, or lack thereof. Yes, it would be an added bonus to have both, but performance > sound.

So I don't buy the arguments that one would take a regular M2 over an M2C because of the sound is bogus IMHO. Ultimate I will chose the better performing car, as long as I can still hear the engine and it's not an electric vehicle.
Appreciate 2
      05-14-2018, 11:01 AM   #2
Pilot-Z
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Thank you ^^^^
Appreciate 1
norMcal284.50
      05-14-2018, 11:12 AM   #3
m20e3087
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87

Garage List
2019 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by norMcal View Post
A lot of the debate around the M2 Competition is about the sound of the S55, or lack thereof. So I ask myself, is it really that important? Of course we all love a great soundtrack from our cars, no doubt about it. If I had it my way I would have a GT3, or a V10 Lambo, or a Maserati in my stable, and the sound alone would be worth the price of admission. But here are a couple of observations I've made regarding engine sound.
My DD (VW GTI) and my track toy/recreational vehicle (e46 M3) vary greatly in sound. And admittedly the sound of the e46 M3 with euro headers and modified muffler adds a lot to the driving pleasure, as far as it "feeling" faster, but in reality it isn't one bit faster because of the sound. So yes, it does add a certain value to the senses. However, does that mean I don't appreciate the performance, torque, dynamics of the GTI? No, absolutely not. Even though it sounds like an ordinary car, I don't find myself wishing it sounded different. It makes up for it with that turbo torque and ultimately the performance is what makes this car what it is.
My second observation is from a friend of mine's last two cars. He was leasing a Maserati the last few years, which is arguably one of the most glorious sounding cars on the market. However, he wanted a sportier car again and decided on a 991 GTS. He struggled with that decision for a long time. The sound was high on his list of criteria, yet he ended up going for the 991.2 turbo GTS, and not the 991.1 N/A GTS. Why? Because ultimately the performance was what mattered. And 3 months later he has no regrets and that is from a person who had a fabulous sounding car and did not want to give that up.
I've driven both his cars, and had the pleasure of even driving the GTS on track recently. The way I see it, once you have a car that performs like this, you forget about the sound, or lack thereof. Yes, it would be an added bonus to have both, but performance > sound.
So I don't buy the arguments that one would take a regular M2 over an M2C because of the sound is bogus IMHO. Ultimate I will chose the better performing car, as long as I can still hear the engine and it's not an electric vehicle.
I was thinking the same this morning lol. If I really hate the sound, will slap on a MPE and call it a day.
Appreciate 1
norMcal284.50
      05-14-2018, 11:12 AM   #4
M3_WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Exhaust sound is a moot point. Completely subjective. Plus there are some really good aftermarket setups for the M4. You can make the S55 sound mean as hell.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2018, 11:15 AM   #5
HODLM
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2/AW/6MT; '16 X5 Hybrid

Let us N55'ers hang on to something...is that too much too ask!?!

And yes, the S55 does sound like a Hershey squirt
Appreciate 4
kfscoll208.50
boostm3683.00
krizze924.00
      05-14-2018, 11:20 AM   #6
norMcal
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_WC View Post
Exhaust sound is a moot point. Completely subjective. Plus there are some really good aftermarket setups for the M4. You can make the S55 sound mean as hell.
Very true! Which is why I am not worried about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HODLM View Post
Let us N55'ers hang on to something...is that too much too ask!?!
LOL, yes, have at it.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2018, 11:22 AM   #7
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

The S55 can sound different, with many different exhausts. I sound like a broken record posting this, but if one wants a deeper tone... key thing is switching to a single path exhaust like the N55 M2. A single path mid pipe synchronizes the exhaust from the two turbos.

AA signiture exhaust
Appreciate 1
seis-speed2426.00
      05-14-2018, 11:26 AM   #8
alscks0414
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: MY18 X3 M40i, MY18 M3 ZCP

At this point where price is opened for M2C (at least Canadian market), I would say I can give up the sound for all other great options (seats and side mirrors especially) with such price gap.

It is true that stock N55 does sound better than S55 M3, M4. Even if you are putting MPE or aftermarket exhaust on both, N55 will still sound better.

However, considering M2C comes with better fuel system and way better tune potential compared to N55... I have to say that I wish I have delayed my order for 6 more months and get M2C as I just got my M2 last year December...

It is what it is, now I am just waiting for G80. But I will make sure that I am getting competition by the time. (lesson that I have learned) So that I would not regret and order the one with better engine output from factory.
Small facelift and cosmetic feature changes won't bother me much.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2018, 11:37 AM   #9
M2_Purist
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LCI

Sound is very important to most, as evident by the uproar w/ F1 going turbo again, the 718 Boxster/Cayman 4 cylinder turbo debacle, and a vast majority of auto enthusiasts either customizing or replacing their intakes and exhausts despite very modest performance gains.

Definitely very subjective, but it matters to most.
Appreciate 1
krizze924.00
      05-14-2018, 11:39 AM   #10
CSBM5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Comp, 2011 M3, etc

Subjective -- of course. There's something about the wail of my S65 at 8000rpms through its Dinan exhaust and the intake wail out the hood intake vent that is just magical. There won't ever be a super high revving naturally aspirated V8 coming out of BMW again, so I plan to keep this one a long time. Same with the S62 in the E39 M5 -- amazing soundtrack. No need in either of these for synthesized exhaust noise to be played through the sound system.

When we get the M2C, the first thing I'll do it is code out the active sound. My wife hasn't even heard an active sound setup but already wants it coded out just on principle . That it isn't an option in iDrive to shut off the fake noise is simply poor design imo.

Re S55...way back when the F80 was just out in 2014, I was at a BMWCCA autox event at the Perf Center. I was in the pits attending to my E90 M3, checking pressures, rechecking lug bolt torque, etc, and I heard this wicked sounded braaaatttt, braaatttt, going on in the background. I didn't actively pay attention to it at first, but my mind was thinking back to my motocross days in the 1970s, and I was thinking big bore 2-strokes: Maico 501? Yamaha SC500? Penton 400? Good thoughts, wicked sounding engine revving out hard through the gears multiple times continued, memories of racing guys on these back then, getting pelted with dirt and rocks from a friend's Penton 400, etc...about that time the F80 M3 comes into view with Mike Renner just getting on it good, pre-running the course for the day. That brought me back to the present. F80 M3, M-performance exhaust...sounded great to me. It is what it is. Not an S85 or S65 wail but a whole different chorus.

M2C on order for my wife; coding asd off planned, hopefully won't need M-perf exhaust.

Regards,
Chuck
2007 E91 328i Silver, slushbox, Eibach fr/E93 M3 rear sway bars, ARC-8
Appreciate 1
norMcal284.50
      05-14-2018, 11:49 AM   #11
Romo
Lieutenant Colonel
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: GR Yaris GT4RS

How important?

Wel, you could ask Porsche 981 vs 718 owners

On PH they spammed over 80 pages on this subject

Have fun;

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/...=231&t=1727665
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2018, 11:52 AM   #12
hellrotm
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romo View Post
How important?

Wel, you could ask Porsche 981 vs 718 owners
That is probably one of the most drastic changes. NA flat 6 to turbo 4. Night and day difference.
Appreciate 2
norMcal284.50
dmboone254970.50
      05-14-2018, 11:58 AM   #13
Romo
Lieutenant Colonel
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: GR Yaris GT4RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJetE90 View Post
That is probably one of the most drastic changes. NA flat 6 to turbo 4. Night and day difference.
Yes I know, but sound is what is all about, nobody on PH comes with that argument, it is all about sound on how good/bad it is.

You could argue if Porsche came with a F6 turbo if the the sound would be better.

Anyway; I'm glad there are still 6IL engines available
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2018, 12:06 PM   #14
hellrotm
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romo View Post
Yes I know, but sound is what is all about, nobody on PH comes with that argument, it is all about sound on how good/bad it is.

You could argue if Porsche came with a F6 turbo if the the sound would be better.

Anyway; I'm glad there are still 6IL engines available
Porsche moving from the na flat 6, is like the uproar from M5 owners with the S85 V10 or M3 owners with the S65 V8.

NA to turbo was drastic. AMG did well to minimize the damage. Next up...turbo to hybrid and/or full electric.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2018, 12:18 PM   #15
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Not important if you're deaf. Kidding aside, we can objectively say the n55 sounds better. Does the s55 sound like shit? The honest answer is not most of the time, it sounds decent, but yes sometimes it can fart in a tin can especially at high RPMs. I believe that's due to the wastegate being open? The n55 however is not immune to this effect either, it farts too. Even the n54 did the same. I think the main difference is when neither of them are farting the n55 sounds deeper and full whereas the s55 isn't as deep sounding and tends to be thinned out a bit if that makes sense.

Bottom line, you give up some good harmonics for some serious performance. If that's no big deal to you great, if it matters too much to you than stick to the n55. Just be thankful it doesn't sound as terrible as a 718 and move on.
Appreciate 1
      05-14-2018, 12:22 PM   #16
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 981 Cayman GTS

Garage List
Sound is very important to me but not to the extent that I would make my car buying decision solely based on it. At the end of the day overall performance outweighs the sound for me as well (if it didn't, I would be driving an N55 M2 today). I wouldn't argue how good the N55 sounds compared to S55. The difference is pretty significant IMO. However, I think BMW did a good job on improving the sound of S55 over the years through several software updates and changing the muffler design on the Competition Package. It still doesn't sound amazing but much better than when F80/82 first came out in 2014. I have seen several companies (including some industry leaders) try to come up with various solutions to fix the S55 sound in the past 4 years and some of them provided real improvements (as posted above). My take based on all this is you can improve the sound of S55 but can never perfect it. It is what it is and I'm ok with it.

P.S. Here's how my M4 ZCP sounds on free revving with MPE (Sport+, no additional exhaust mods). Again, it doesn't sound anywhere near perfect but I'm happy with it and actually quite like it.

Appreciate 6
Tag17910.00
norMcal284.50
ChrisK4449.00
seis-speed2426.00
dmboone254970.50
      05-14-2018, 12:32 PM   #17
gandapanda
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 18 M2 & 19 Sentra

Garage List
I think sound becomes important as your daily commute and roads become boring. Living in the Midwest most of my life, that has been my experience.

Plus I'm just a sour N55 owner.

S
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2018, 12:53 PM   #18
norMcal
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cntzl View Post
Sound is very important to me but not to the extent that I would make my car buying decision solely based on it. At the end of the day overall performance outweighs the sound for me as well
[VIDEO]
That is exactly my point and you said it possible better than me.
Appreciate 1
M-Pilot4859.00
      05-14-2018, 01:28 PM   #19
Cavpilot2k
Chief Warrant Officer
Rep
Drives: like a damn lunatic

It's very important, but by itself not important enough to determine what model I will get.
Appreciate 1
kfscoll208.50
      05-14-2018, 02:17 PM   #20
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cntzl View Post
Sound is very important to me but not to the extent that I would make my car buying decision solely based on it. At the end of the day overall performance outweighs the sound for me as well (if it didn't, I would be driving an N55 M2 today). I wouldn't argue how good the N55 sounds compared to S55. The difference is pretty significant IMO. However, I think BMW did a good job on improving the sound of S55 over the years through several software updates and changing the muffler design on the Competition Package. It still doesn't sound amazing but much better than when F80/82 first came out in 2014. I have seen several companies (including some industry leaders) try to come up with various solutions to fix the S55 sound in the past 4 years and some of them provided real improvements (as posted above). My take based on all this is you can improve the sound of S55 but can never perfect it. It is what it is and I'm ok with it.
P.S. Here's how my M4 ZCP sounds on free revving with MPE (Sport+, no additional exhaust mods). Again, it doesn't sound anywhere near perfect but I'm happy with it and actually quite like it.
[VIDEO]

+1

As a long time BMW fan/owner, it drives me crazy how people get wrapped up in the exhaust note and only the exhaust. I don't drive any car with my ear right next to the exhaust tips or follow behind it down the road. The sound in cabin is lovely mix of exhaust, engine, tires, squirrels, squeaks, etc. Gee, did I forget to ASD - no i'll code that out

BMW hasn't let me down yet, and I expect the M2C will satisfy my need for speed just as my M2 did.
Poochie9099.00
      05-14-2018, 02:19 PM   #21
CSBM5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Comp, 2011 M3, etc

I'm far more worried about the other reported M2 sounds -- window and door seal creaks and interior rattles. THAT would mar the experience of a 2019 M2 Competition imo.
2007 E91 328i Silver, slushbox, Eibach fr/E93 M3 rear sway bars, ARC-8
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2018, 02:26 PM   #22
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSBM5 View Post
I'm far more worried about the other reported M2 sounds -- window and door seal creaks and interior rattles. THAT would mar the experience of a 2019 M2 Competition imo.
I had zero rattles in my 2017 M2.
CSBM52695.50