E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > E92 AC Compressor grind

05-14-2018, 10:36 PM   #1
av.auto
Rep
Drives: BR Racing 135i

E92 AC Compressor grind

So in September of 2017, my serpentine belt shredded (due to worn motor mounts and subframe interference), and ever since then, my ac compressor has made a grinding sound when turned on.

It still blows cold, but the compressor also seems to vibrate the car and affect the drivability at times (causes the engine to bog down sometimes from start, rough shifts due to rpm dropping suddenly. Also, 6MT).

When I got new motor mounts replaced recently (belt shredded twice more after September, only realized it was due to motor mounts at this point -.-), I had asked my mechanic about the sound/vibration. My guess was that shreds of belt made their way into the compressor housing somehow, and the mechanic said the problem seems to be internal to the compressor and I could keep using it, but it may fail eventually.

Is there anything I can do other than replacing the unit altogether?
Appreciate 0