E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Bolt-On Straight Axle Back / Muffler Delete???

05-15-2018, 01:28 PM   #1
Tempxst
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Bolt-On Straight Axle Back / Muffler Delete???

I've been looking around and noticed there are some cars with axle back options that are basically a bolt on muffler delete. Flange going to tips replacing the muffler.

I've been considering a muffler delete very soon on my E90 because I like the sound clips I've seen flooding the internet. However if I want to sell the car in the future and upgrade I don't want to have to pay someone to weld the muffler back on.

Is there any option like this for my model (06 330i)? I took a look and it's almost all one piece up to the cats...anyone else know of something alternative to getting the muffler chopped of that I could do?
      05-16-2018, 12:14 PM   #2
atmosphericM
Basic Bimmer
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 328i 6MT ///M

Garage List
Nothing like that exists for our cars and you already know why. People achieve louder exhaust and pleasant (to them) sounds via chop off the muffler and weld a pipe + tips to it for one reason, cost effectiveness. If you wanted to avoid welding, you could have a shop cut off the muffler, but instead of welding a muffler delete section on, they could fab one up that can be "bolted on" via an exhaust clamp just as the PE muffler is "bolted on" (see image below). That way you could easily swap back and forth between the muffler delete section and the muffler. For this, the clamp size you'd want is 63.5mm and a proper style clamp can be had at Pelicanparts.com or elsewhere - part no. 18307536425.

Last edited by atmosphericM; 05-16-2018 at 12:20 PM..
Appreciate 1
Noir883.00
      05-17-2018, 09:55 AM   #3
Tempxst
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Thank you for the reply. So this would be just chopping the muffler off, and then when wanting to put it back on using a clamp rather than having flanges welded on either side?

I've seen some people have an exhaust cutout valve added right before the muffler so they can remotely open/close the exhaust valve basically having an on-command muffler delete. Not sure how much more this would cost me.
      05-17-2018, 10:38 AM   #4
atmosphericM
Basic Bimmer
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Correct. But I wouldn't just chop the muffler off and run it that way. You'll want them to fab up an extension of pipe + tips that you can clamp to the pipe so that the exhaust gasses leave behind the bumper and not under the car. Flanges are one way to connect exhaust pipes, sleeve clamps are another. Sleeve clamps are the BMW way. Flanges might work too if you'd rather go that route, but it might cost more, and you'd also need to ensure that there is room for the flanges. A gasket would also be required with flanges.

Exhaust cut-out is an idea, however when I had one way back in my younger years, it leaked a little. They also aren't cheap. Finally, I don't like the idea of exhaust gas flowing underneath the car. In other words, I'm not a fan of cutouts. If you like the sound of muffler delete just delete it. The process will also allow you to get some nice exhaust tips, of your choosing, which will give the car a more aggressive look from the rear.
Appreciate 1
Noir883.00
      05-17-2018, 03:12 PM   #5
Tempxst
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by atmosphericM View Post
Correct. But I wouldn't just chop the muffler off and run it that way. You'll want them to fab up an extension of pipe + tips that you can clamp to the pipe so that the exhaust gasses leave behind the bumper and not under the car. Flanges are one way to connect exhaust pipes, sleeve clamps are another. Sleeve clamps are the BMW way. Flanges might work too if you'd rather go that route, but it might cost more, and you'd also need to ensure that there is room for the flanges. A gasket would also be required with flanges.

Exhaust cut-out is an idea, however when I had one way back in my younger years, it leaked a little. They also aren't cheap. Finally, I don't like the idea of exhaust gas flowing underneath the car. In other words, I'm not a fan of cutouts. If you like the sound of muffler delete just delete it. The process will also allow you to get some nice exhaust tips, of your choosing, which will give the car a more aggressive look from the rear.
Thank you for this response, I agree I too am kind of skeptical of just leaving the cutout under the vehicle leaking gases. I think after the information you have both given me on here I'm just going to get it deleted and if I don't end up liking it just having it put back on. I don't have doubt that I won't enjoy it but when I go to sell the car I'll just have to end up spending the little bit to get the muffler back on or go with the sleeve/clamps.

When you had such done did you have any leaking with clamps and/or a sleeve? Seems like the easiest way to go about it in the "hot-swappable" way I want to achieve. How well would the clamps hold gases in for something like this?

Thanks again
      05-18-2018, 09:20 AM   #6
atmosphericM
Basic Bimmer
United_States
Rep

Garage List
The clamps work just fine as long as you install them carefully and torque to the appropriate level. The BMW Performance Exhaust uses clamps and they work just fine (that's what I have, and that's what is in the photo I posted earlier). Just cut your stock muffler off in the same exact spot as you see the cut in the photo posted above and then use a clamp to attach the delete section, or OE muffler back on.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2018, 12:49 AM   #7
Big Mexican Women
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 528i

muffler delete isnt the greatest sound and it will drone at lower engine speeds. i'd suggest deleting your secondary cats and replacing your stock muffler with a resonator instead.
Appreciate 0