F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > 435i xDrive 6mt Launch question
proTUNING Freaks

05-15-2018, 11:28 PM   #1
obscurD
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i M Performance Edit

435i xDrive 6mt Launch question

So I recently bought a 2015 435i xdrive 6spd M performance edition, mppk, mpe, basically all the m goodies. I tried launching it for the first time last weekend. Sport + pushed in the clutch put it in first gear revved to about 3500-4000 rpm dropped the clutch and it gave a huge clunk didn't stall or anything just didn't really feel good for the car. So I re clutched put it in neutral and haven't attempted since lol.

Am I doing something wrong? Is launching an xdrive car a bad idea?

Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks here is a pic of her!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-15-2018, 11:44 PM   #2
the dope steez
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: F30 335i M-Sport

Firstly I would never drop the clutch ie completely drop it, especially at that RPM it's just too low and since you won't be generating any wheel spin the car will bog. If you don't stall it, it will come off the line but not quickly.

It's very tricky to launch these cars and I wouldn't do it often because it's not great for the clutch/drivetrain if you do it repeatedly.

You need to rev up higher, ie 4500 rpm at least, get the clutch to just before it's engagement point and let it out briskly but not completely drop it.

Tough part is it takes practice, and more the practice you get the harder it is on the car haha. Keep at it though and you'll get it.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2018, 07:33 AM   #3
bmw5858
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: bmw 340i 2018

Another thing you want to do is taking off the traction control completely. In sport+ you still have some traction control on, this affect the car when you launch as the car dont want the car to spin so it cut off the power.

Another great thing you could do it buy the Clutch bump stop from BMS. cost 10$ and it's day and night. It reduce the delay when you press the clutch completely. you know the dead spot when you press the clutch all the way and just release it slowly to get the friction point, well that point is far haha so it remove this dead spot, really worth it!

That as The dope Steez said, you need to launch at least at 4500 rpm. went to the drag and tried every way to launch with the Manuel transmission and MPPSK (Also having a jb4 on my 340i X drive) best result is to launch that high. As he said, dont do this every day, it's not that great BUT, it will not break the car if you do it couple time in the year.

Last advice... practice! Best way to get to it! You are from Montreal, we are couple next to you that are going to the drag in napierville. Might want to join us next time! Add me on Facebook if you want : Alexandre Lafond-deschamps

See ya
Appreciate 0