F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Drivetrain Malfunction Warning
proTUNING Freaks

05-17-2018, 06:04 PM   #1
EPMDPRO
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Drivetrain Malfunction Warning

Just passing on the results of changing spark plugs at 58,000 miles after having a drivetrain malfunction when I occasionally went WOT. I was able to clear warning after restarting, was not able to capture CEL or other error code with Scwabben BMW reader. I have read that this might be symptomatic of a bad coil pack causing a cylinder misfire. Figured step one was change and inspect plugs, and see if problem persists. Problem still persisted, and I noticed slight brown mark on electrode whereas the rest were normal grey colored (original plugs). So I replaced the coil pack with a OEM BMW coil pack on the cylinder with the dis-colored plug and I have not been able to repeat the drivetrain malfunction. With a warm engine and a handful of launches and spirited driving today so far so good. Just wanted to share the results.
Appreciate 2
jmg18709.50
paulymu62.50
      05-19-2018, 09:57 AM   #2
Kailec
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by EPMDPRO View Post
Just passing on the results of changing spark plugs at 58,000 miles after having a drivetrain malfunction when I occasionally went WOT. I was able to clear warning after restarting, was not able to capture CEL or other error code with Scwabben BMW reader. I have read that this might be symptomatic of a bad coil pack causing a cylinder misfire. Figured step one was change and inspect plugs, and see if problem persists. Problem still persisted, and I noticed slight brown mark on electrode whereas the rest were normal grey colored (original plugs). So I replaced the coil pack with a OEM BMW coil pack on the cylinder with the dis-colored plug and I have not been able to repeat the drivetrain malfunction. With a warm engine and a handful of launches and spirited driving today so far so good. Just wanted to share the results.
This happened to me a few weeks ago. But beyond the light the car was shaking a lot too, pretty frightening since I've never experienced it. Needed new spark plugs and fuel injector.
Appreciate 1
      05-22-2018, 09:49 AM   #3
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Drivetrain Malfunction Warning is a huge blanket warning that could be a multitude of things, but bad ignition coils is actually the most common culprit. Happened to my F80 just a few months ago.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2018, 12:37 PM   #4
EPMDPRO
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Thanks for following up with your experiences with the drivetrain malfunction warning. It happened for the first time in a couple of weeks after in stop and go traffic. Probably 10 minutes of rolling 15-20 mph then it opened up so I mashed the pedal and got the warning. Restarted and haven't got it again so may be low fuel pressure at the time? Eventually would like to do a proper stage 2 set up with upgraded fuel pump and ecu flash tune. Right now just the turner tune with AA FMIC, Charge Pipe, exhaust and a dinan CF intake.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2021, 03:23 PM   #5
Babr2012
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i xdrive (f30/N20)

Drivetrain Malfunction: Wastegate Actuator

Just wanted everybody to know that if you have the SULEV warranty (many cars have this, i just found out) the wastegate actuator is covered. I have been getting a drive train malfunction intermittently and the car would go into limp mode. Indy shop quoted $1200, the dealer replaced the part under warranty, I paid $0. So if you have the "drivetrain malfunction - drive moderately" issue and it turns out to be the waste-gate actuator, this is covered till 150,000/15 yrs on SULEV cars. I hope this helps somebody!
Appreciate 4
adhrp1303.00
paulymu62.50
      03-27-2021, 11:48 PM   #6
Nickthegreat
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

What plugs are you running?
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2021, 11:02 AM   #7
Babr2012
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i xdrive (f30/N20)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickthegreat View Post
What plugs are you running?
BMW branded from the dealership.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2021, 11:03 AM   #8
cosmicdebris48059
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Estoril Blue 2014 335i M Sport

I've had this pop up a few times on my '14 335i M Sport 6MT right on start up. Usually I just turn it off, let it sit for a few minutes, start it back up and it doesn't come back. Another thing I noticed is that when it does it the car is usually sitting uneven in my yard or driveway.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2022, 11:44 AM   #9
ramii
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 316i 2015

Drivetrain!

Hi!
So, I have F30 (2015 3 series) two years ago my car got that message and upon sending it to agency they did a full check and recommended to replace many things including the injectors, spark plugs and etc. Things went fine for a while until the message reappeared after three months.

They did the work, and in two days time the problem persisted and again the car spent two weeks at dealership.

This continued to happen for the last two years, until two months ago I made a big issue as I have done all recommendations by agency and car was only maintained there, after keeping the car for few weeks they said it was good to go that time.

Two days ago I was driving and again the message appeared and obviously the shaking and loss of power came. I am unsure if the BMW dealership is not able to deal with it, then who will be?

I am frustrated and I am thinking of getting rid of the car. It is unbelievable and I am the first owner of the car, no body drives the car, and I am driving delicately and the car never had accidents to cause such failures.

Anybody has such experience? Everytime the dealership starts a new story, oh this time it is a different part, however, I am sure they replaced the injectors twice and they were damaged, replaced spark plugs, another air part I do not know what it is, and this isn't solving it permanently. I also opted for filling the car with super petrol at no avail....

Any advise or recommendation, please?

Thanks
Appreciate 0