THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Tracking / Autocrossing Brake fluid flush Dealership

05-18-2018, 10:45 AM   #1
geminijatt
Rep
Drives: N/A

Brake fluid flush Dealership

Hey All,

I'm interested in going to a lapping event once my 2018 M240i arrives (and broken in). I don't anticipate going to tracks often, maybe once or twice a year.

I understand, it's recommended to get a brake fluid flush if the fluid is more than 6 months old and to use OEM fluid (http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showp...7&postcount=27)

What do you guys tell the dealer when getting brake fluid changed? Do they even ask? My car will be a leased vehicle.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2018, 03:41 PM   #2
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

You could go to independent shop and ask to watch the brakes bled at the calipers.

Just make sure any shop you use doesn’t just siphon out the reservoir and not bled through the caliper.

If u go to dealership and they start asking why on a leased car tell them your considering buying car at end of lease and you want to baby your abs system.

If your doing track duty on average once a year then yearly brake flush will suffice.
Appreciate 1
rich8566608.50
      05-18-2018, 05:27 PM   #3
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Our local BMWCCA lists local places that do tech inspections, and I went w/ one of these, rather than the dealership (is there a Canadian version of CCA? - if not, perhaps the track has info on who to use). Around here they do the tech inspection for free, and I figured that they are more likely to know what to look for pre-track than a dealership. Of course I talked myself into new pads and better fluid, and was glad for that because I got 'em pretty hot on track.
Appreciate 1
rich8566608.50
      05-18-2018, 07:51 PM   #4
rich8566
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 + Z-4

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by geminijatt View Post
Hey All,

I'm interested in going to a lapping event once my 2018 M240i arrives (and broken in). I don't anticipate going to tracks often, maybe once or twice a year.

I understand, it's recommended to get a brake fluid flush if the fluid is more than 6 months old and to use OEM fluid (http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showp...7&postcount=27)

What do you guys tell the dealer when getting brake fluid changed? Do they even ask? My car will be a leased vehicle.

Thanks
I had one hell of a time a couple of years ago trying to get the dealer to change out the brake fluid on my car. They said the maintenance schedule did not call for it. I said I would pay for it and they still resisted. To this day I'm not sure that they really did the change even though I paid for it. I'm thinking they did a wipe down of the reservoir and shipped the car. Now I do it myself to be sure it actually gets done.
      05-18-2018, 07:51 PM   #5
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
...is there a Canadian version of CCA?
There is. This page has a list of the individual clubs: http://bmwclub.ca/member/carclubs/

I've run with a couple of the Canadian clubs at both Mont Tremblant and Calabogie. They honored US BMWCCA membership, as the American clubs I've run with have honored Canadian BMW club memberships. For example, Canadian club members frequently attend US club sponsored events at the Glen.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2018, 09:48 AM   #6
geminijatt
Rep

Hey All,

Thanks for the advice. Looks like one of the dealerships that does inspections is a BMW dealer so I'll check there first. If not, indie shop it is.

Cheers
Appreciate 1
Maynard3833.00
      05-19-2018, 10:49 AM   #7
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by dradernh View Post
There is. This page has a list of the individual clubs: http://bmwclub.ca/member/carclubs/

I've run with a couple of the Canadian clubs at both Mont Tremblant and Calabogie. They honored US BMWCCA membership, as the American clubs I've run with have honored Canadian BMW club memberships. For example, Canadian club members frequently attend US club sponsored events at the Glen.
Good to know - now that I'm getting 'track spam' from Motorsports.reg, I'm starting to think about trying some of those Canadian tracks. I love the Quebec area anyway, so a good excuse. Brings back memories of seeing car haulers going through customs, wondering how long it would take them to really look through all the spare parts and tools.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2018, 01:01 PM   #8
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
Good to know - now that I'm getting 'track spam' from Motorsports.reg, I'm starting to think about trying some of those Canadian tracks. I love the Quebec area anyway, so a good excuse. Brings back memories of seeing car haulers going through customs, wondering how long it would take them to really look through all the spare parts and tools.
Out of probably 20 trips back and forth towing an enclosed trailer, US Customs wanted to peek inside only 2 times. Mostly they wanted to see and talk about the car - still doing their job, though.

The Canadians can occasionally take an interest. Two years ago, I was driving the wife's Mazda 3 up to instruct at Tremblant, made the mistake of using the word "tools" when the woman at Canadian customs & immigration wanted to know what was in the back of the car, and she then couldn't get it out of her head that I must be going up there to work and earn money. That subject is always a red flag at a border crossing. When I explained that I hadn't worked for a number of years...well, it was an hour later before I got out of there. Sometimes I think they pull you over just for something to do.

Coming and going, I always leave an hour for the border. Coming back to the US, you often need it when coming across onto I-87, and you always need it getting onto I-89 in Vermont (HATE that crossing!). The I-81 crossing is fairly quick in both directions. Cornwall was a short wait going north. Toronto traffic being what it is, I'd wait until after 9 PM to cross northbound at Niagara Falls. As always, of course, YMMV.

-------

Just realized I went wayyyyyy off-topic - sorry about that!

Last edited by dradernh; 05-20-2018 at 07:43 AM.. Reason: OT
Appreciate 1
Maynard3833.00
      05-23-2018, 11:15 AM   #9
Anthony235
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: m235i

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
Don't use OEM fluid.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2018, 02:00 PM   #10
bryan_G01
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: like i stole it...

Agreed, get your fluid swapped out for motul 600.

Invest in a pair of EBC Yellow brake pads and use them for the week leading up to the track day, than take them out if you want.
1997 M3 Sedan Auto Cosmo Black Metallic
2018 x3 m40 Auto Grey Metallic
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2018, 01:16 PM   #11
geminijatt
Rep

I thought if I use racing brake fluid than I could run the risk of ruining the seals, brakes and such since the boiling point would be higher.

I'm very new to this whole tracking situation so pardon me for my lack of knowledge.

Thanks,

Last edited by geminijatt; 05-25-2018 at 01:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2018, 04:58 PM   #12
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by geminijatt View Post
I thought if I use racing brake fluid than I could run the risk of ruining the seals, brakes and such since the boiling point would be higher.
You needn't worry about that - it's a non-issue. Perhaps someone else can explain why that is better than I think I can.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2018, 06:16 PM   #13
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by dradernh View Post
You needn't worry about that - it's a non-issue. Perhaps someone else can explain why that is better than I think I can.
Some DOT numbered brake fluids are incompatible as are silicon brake fluid with rubber seals.
Appreciate 0