F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Drivetrain Malfunction and Odomoter Issue
Studio RSR

05-18-2018, 04:51 PM   #1
Carbon.F30
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335xi (M-Sport)

Drivetrain Malfunction and Odomoter Issue

Hi everyone,

I was driving my car around the other day, and a drivetrain malfunction came up. I know the clutch has been slipping for some time and I’m thinking that this is the likely culprit.

Here’s the weird part: after about a week of the drivetrain malfunction being there (on and off at first), I started my car yesterday and there was just a red dot in the centre on the dash (between the odometer and trip km). The odometer (mileage on the car shows 000000) and the service indicator is unavailable.

Any thoughts on what might be going on here?
      05-19-2018, 07:59 AM   #2
amw896
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M235i

Garage List
2015 BMW M235i  [10.00]
scan the codes.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2018, 11:27 AM   #3
Xanderdbs
Private
Armenia
Rep
Drives: 2012 e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by floor_it View Post
Hi everyone,

I was driving my car around the other day, and a drivetrain malfunction came up. I know the clutch has been slipping for some time and I’m thinking that this is the likely culprit.

Here’s the weird part: after about a week of the drivetrain malfunction being there (on and off at first), I started my car yesterday and there was just a red dot in the centre on the dash (between the odometer and trip km). The odometer (mileage on the car shows 000000) and the service indicator is unavailable.

Any thoughts on what might be going on here?
This use to happen to my buddies m235i all the time. If you still have warranty just take it in to get fixed.

His issue was not just the clutch, but also the differential and part of the transmission.

The best way is to have it looked at or check exactly what codes are being thrown

On a side note:
Most of the time that same code pops up even if the turbo or other mechanical issue happens.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2018, 05:01 PM   #4
Carbon.F30
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanderdbs View Post
This use to happen to my buddies m235i all the time. If you still have warranty just take it in to get fixed.

His issue was not just the clutch, but also the differential and part of the transmission.

The best way is to have it looked at or check exactly what codes are being thrown

On a side note:
Most of the time that same code pops up even if the turbo or other mechanical issue happens.

I took it in earlier today, have an appointment to get it looked at. The drivetrain malfunction was due to a drivetrain malfunction and the battery according to the previous diagnostic.

Hopefully it isn’t the transmission, I had that replaced two years ago as part of the CPO (used to grind when going into gear even with the clutch down before I bought the car in 2016.

Let’s see what they say....
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2018, 09:36 PM   #5
Carbon.F30
Private First Class
Rep

Update: Got it fixed under warranty. Took them about a month but basically they had to replace the FEM, REM modules.
Appreciate 0