F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Input on a new F30
GetBMWParts

05-26-2018, 10:30 PM   #1
Perseus83
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 VW GLI

Input on a new F30

I'm looking to get a 2018 F30 for myself and soon to be wife (sort of a wedding gift). We're looking at a 340i xDrive. (We live in Toronto).

I could use some input on what options would be worth it / not worth it.

- Is the Merino leather worth the extra $1,900 CAD? Or would it be better that I spend the money on the M Performance Kit 2, and get the additional 30 HP? My daily commute is about a 10 KM city round trip.

- With all of the options I selected, (M Performance 1 & 2, Premium Essentials), the total options come up to $12,095). My dealer has a "special M performance" edition in stock which is pretty much fully loaded, including the added M skirts, badges, etc. That has a total "option" cost of $16,000. It also comes in Snapper Rocks Blue

Question - Should I spec out my own car, save about ~$4,000, and get exactly what I want?

Or should I go with the M Performance edition, which has everything I want + more, but also costs ~$4K more, and it might be harder to get a discount on it.

Any thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2018, 11:29 PM   #2
Big Mexican Women
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 528i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstar View Post
I'm looking to get a 2018 F30 for myself and soon to be wife (sort of a wedding gift). We're looking at a 340i xDrive. (We live in Toronto).

- Is the Merino leather worth the extra $1,900 CAD? Or would it be better that I spend the money on the M Performance Kit 2, and get the additional 30 HP? My daily commute is about a 10 KM city round trip.

- With all of the options I selected, (M Performance 1 & 2, Premium Essentials), the total options come up to $12,095). My dealer has a "special M performance" edition in stock which is pretty much fully loaded, including the added M skirts, badges, etc. That has a total "option" cost of $16,000. It also comes in Snapper Rocks Blue

Question - Should I spec out my own car, save about ~$4,000, and get exactly what I want?

Or should I go with the M Performance edition, which has everything I want + more, but also costs ~$4K more, and it might be harder to get a discount on it.

Any thoughts?
The merino leather is softer and more luxurious or whatever, but it will wear more easily in the long-run. just go for the regular leather if you want something more durable.

personally, I think the snapper rocks blue looks absolutely hideous in person, but that's just my personal opinion.

I also live in toronto, and I personally haven't had any issues with my 535i and 328i (Both RWD, driven year-round) with winter tires. just something to consider.

what exactly is the extra $4000 for that you mentioned? maybe just spec your own car so you can get the colour you want and have the option to select RWD?

what colour combination are you considering if you will spec the car yourself?

cheers
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2018, 11:35 PM   #3
bobalis
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 F33 N55

I work in a car dealership (albeit a different brand and in the states) and from my experience we are always willing to discount a car we have in stock more than one we have to get or order. Plus can they guarantee the discount you'd get on the ordered car now when you technically won't take delivery on it months from now?

With the brand I'm at, we can only work pricing the month of purchase because the programs change monthly. You can't lock in discounts from the month of ordering.

I'm saying this so you can get this questions addressed, these could help you lean one way or another.
Appreciate 2
Poochie9104.50
jmg18709.50
      05-26-2018, 11:46 PM   #4
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:

Any thoughts?
Merino Leather in a F30 for $1800 CAD (~$1400 USD) ?

When did Merino Leather outside of a BMW Individual become an option on a F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobalis View Post
Plus can they guarantee the discount you'd get on the ordered car now when you technically won't take delivery on it months from now?

With the brand I'm at, we can only work pricing the month of purchase because the programs change monthly. You can't lock in discounts from the month of ordering.

I'm saying this so you can get this questions addressed, these could help you lean one way or another.
In USA, BMW used to be able to lock in discounts for 60 days from order, unless that has also changed.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2018, 09:05 AM   #5
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
When did Merino Leather outside of a BMW Individual become an option on a F30
I guess in OP's context of his post, the merino leather is still an "option" but would still have to go through the typical BMW individual process. I've yet to seen a run-of-the-mill 3er or 4er have basic options and have merino leather. The cars that typically come with BMW individual options are the ones that are fully decked out with BMW Performance parts (and BMW Performance edition vehicles).

Quote:

In USA, BMW used to be able to lock in discounts for 60 days from order, unless that has also changed.
BMW Canada is up to 90 days (May 2018 programs can be locked if the contract is completed on or before July 31, 2018).

Last edited by TheBingoBalls; 05-27-2018 at 09:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2018, 09:30 AM   #6
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBingoBalls View Post
I guess in OP's context of his post, the merino leather is still an "option" but would still have to go through the typical BMW individual process.
OP specifically states a 2018 340ix.

As 2018 will only be built for about another month, I find it hard to believe that one can order a BMW Individual at this date for a 2018 Vehicle.

All and all, it infers that the new car is on lot now.

Which makes even less sense.

As OP has been on forum since these questions were posted and not responded, perhaps the OP misunderstood some facts he represented here.

Even stranger, in another post he states that his current Lexus lease is not up until the end of the year, at which time he will replace with a BMW.

Last edited by IK6SPEED; 05-27-2018 at 09:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2018, 11:25 AM   #7
Perseus83
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Mexican Women View Post
The merino leather is softer and more luxurious or whatever, but it will wear more easily in the long-run. just go for the regular leather if you want something more durable.

personally, I think the snapper rocks blue looks absolutely hideous in person, but that's just my personal opinion.

I also live in toronto, and I personally haven't had any issues with my 535i and 328i (Both RWD, driven year-round) with winter tires. just something to consider.

what exactly is the extra $4000 for that you mentioned? maybe just spec your own car so you can get the colour you want and have the option to select RWD?

what colour combination are you considering if you will spec the car yourself?

cheers
Thank for your reply

I'm coming from a 2016 IS350 and the leather is extremely soft in it, so I'm wondering if I'll want that same "feeling" with my BMW. I test drove a 340i yesterday with Dakota leather and IMO, it felt just fine.

One thing that worried me about the IS350's leather is that I felt it could be scratched / ripped much easier. I had to be extra cautious about putting things in the back. Furthermore, the lady and I would like to start a family in a couple of years and I'm thinking about the child seat.

If I spec the car myself, I'd like to get Estoril blue with a beige interior (similar to the 2007 335xi I used to own (in my profile pic).

In that M Performance car that they have on the lot, I think it includes carbon fibre exhaust tips, a carbon fibre spoiler (looks odd on that rockers blue), front and side M performance skirts, and special rims. I think the rims alone are quite pricy if I'm not mistaken.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2018, 11:26 AM   #8
Perseus83
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobalis View Post
I work in a car dealership (albeit a different brand and in the states) and from my experience we are always willing to discount a car we have in stock more than one we have to get or order. Plus can they guarantee the discount you'd get on the ordered car now when you technically won't take delivery on it months from now?

Thanks for your reply. I used a website called "unhaggle.ca" and they were able to secure quotes for me for a custom built car, with about 10% off MSRP... about $5,900 off (in the best offer). These were all due to arrive late August.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2018, 11:29 AM   #9
Perseus83
Private
Rep

Quote:

As 2018 will only be built for about another month, I find it hard to believe that one can order a BMW Individual at this date for a 2018 Vehicle.

All and all, it infers that the new car is on lot now.

Which makes even less sense.

As OP has been on forum since these questions were posted and not responded, perhaps the OP misunderstood some facts he represented here.

Even stranger, in another post he states that his current Lexus lease is not up until the end of the year, at which time he will replace with a BMW.
Thanks for your reply.

Correct, I did state I was going to wait until the end of the year to get a BMW, but I changed my mind. I would like to get it sooner and either break my lexus lease early, or possibly keep both cars until the Lexus lease is over.

Thankfully, I can still get a custom built 2018 as I've received quotes for it.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2018, 12:46 PM   #10
Big Mexican Women
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 528i

Quote:
Thank for your reply

I'm coming from a 2016 IS350 and the leather is extremely soft in it, so I'm wondering if I'll want that same "feeling" with my BMW. I test drove a 340i yesterday with Dakota leather and IMO, it felt just fine.

One thing that worried me about the IS350's leather is that I felt it could be scratched / ripped much easier. I had to be extra cautious about putting things in the back. Furthermore, the lady and I would like to start a family in a couple of years and I'm thinking about the child seat.

If I spec the car myself, I'd like to get Estoril blue with a beige interior (similar to the 2007 335xi I used to own (in my profile pic).

In that M Performance car that they have on the lot, I think it includes carbon fibre exhaust tips, a carbon fibre spoiler (looks odd on that rockers blue), front and side M performance skirts, and special rims. I think the rims alone are quite pricy if I'm not mistaken.
The Merino leather will feel closer to whatever you have in your Lexus, but the Dakota leather will be overall more durable so this is what I would pick.

as for the colour combination, Estoril Blue is a great colour! I would strongly suggest getting the Cognac Dakota or Amaro Brown Extended leather over Beige though - the Blue paint with either of those leather colours will look absolutely fantastic.

Don't get me wrong, my 535i has beige leather (with titanium silver paint) which I believe is a rather rare colour combination and I love it, but If I had the option of selecting the Cognac brown leather instead, I would've done so In a heartbeat.

I just looked at the car configurator, and there is absolutely no way I would ever pay $2900 for 35HP and a cat-back exhaust system. you can easily get all that with aftermarket parts for a fraction of the price.

you mentioned that your Lexus lease isn't over yet. In that case, I would suggest you simply wait for the next generation (G20) 3 series to come out.

cheers!
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2018, 03:42 PM   #11
BEAR-AvHistory
2020 Z4 M40i - 2022 M4C Convt
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i - 2022 M4C Convrt

Garage List
Like that Blue & darker Amaro Brown leather.

On the MPPSK if its a lease it should cost about $1300 out of pocket on a lease. Cost is about $2500 which is what I paid. Free Port install & due to leasing you only pay for what you use when its part of the cars original selling price.

DynoJets are showing about 368RWP & upper 12 second quarters confirm the numbers.

2022 M4C - 2020 Z4 M40i - 2023 FORD Expedition XLT Max 4X4 400BHP - 2009 V-Star - 1998 Ranger 4X4 5MT - 1965 Cobra (R) 5MT - 2023 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 6MT
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2018, 05:24 PM   #12
Perseus83
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Mexican Women View Post
Quote:
Thank for your reply

The Merino leather will feel closer to whatever you have in your Lexus, but the Dakota leather will be overall more durable so this is what I would pick.

as for the colour combination, Estoril Blue is a great colour! I would strongly suggest getting the Cognac Dakota or Amaro Brown Extended leather over Beige though - the Blue paint with either of those leather colours will look absolutely fantastic.

Don't get me wrong, my 535i has beige leather (with titanium silver paint) which I believe is a rather rare colour combination and I love it, but If I had the option of selecting the Cognac brown leather instead, I would've done so In a heartbeat.

I just looked at the car configurator, and there is absolutely no way I would ever pay $2900 for 35HP and a cat-back exhaust system. you can easily get all that with aftermarket parts for a fraction of the price.

you mentioned that your Lexus lease isn't over yet. In that case, I would suggest you simply wait for the next generation (G20) 3 series to come out.

cheers!
When I test drove a 340, the Dakota leather felt good enough I think, although the leather in the Lexus is nicer. I can live without it though.

There's a few reasons I'd prefer a 2018 than a 2019 which is why I don't mind getting one now versus later. Plus, I'm gonna lease so I can get the new g20 in a few years.

I might reconsider the performance kit though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory View Post
Like that Blue & darker Amaro Brown leather.

On the MPPSK if its a lease it should cost about $1300 out of pocket on a lease. Cost is about $2500 which is what I paid. Free Port install & due to leasing you only pay for what you use when its part of the cars original selling price.

DynoJets are showing about 368RWP & upper 12 second quarters confirm the numbers.
That's true and a good way to look at it. Since I'm likely leasing it's probably be the better option for power if I go that way.
      05-27-2018, 05:34 PM   #13
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

If you were going to buy a brand new 340, why not wait until next year when the new generation is released?
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2018, 07:17 PM   #14
Perseus83
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eluded View Post
If you were going to buy a brand new 340, why not wait until next year when the new generation is released?
I think it's because I'd prefer to not have the 1st year of a new model.
      05-28-2018, 01:56 PM   #15
mr_clueless
Private
Rep
Drives: Acura RDX

Quote:

EOP for F30 is 10/18, so we have about 5 more months of production.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2018, 02:00 PM   #16
mr_clueless
Private
Rep
Drives: Acura RDX

Quote:

Any thoughts?

I would take luxury over power any day. So while I have not seen the Merino leather, if it felt any more nicer than standard leather to sit in I would get it. If it's just about wrapping the dash and such, maybe I wouldn't care about it.

I would prefer to option my car exactly as I want including colors instead of trying to save a few bucks or getting a better deal on a car with more stuff.

YMMV.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2018, 04:33 PM   #17
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_clueless View Post
EOP for F30 is 10/18, so we have about 5 more months of production.
Good point.

Quote:
I would take luxury over power any day. So while I have not seen the Merino leather, if it felt any more nicer than standard leather to sit in I would get it. If it's just about wrapping the dash and such, maybe I wouldn't care about it.
There is very literally almost no perceivable difference to the feel of the seats when sitting clothed in them (as opposed to touching with your fingers) as it’s the same foam underneath and just a thin external layer of a covering.

I can tell you that a leather dash transforms the image and look of the car more than Merino seats. I would speculate it has to do that with dash in field of view 100% of the time you are using car and not looking at seat.

Quote:

I would prefer to option my car exactly as I want including colors instead of trying to save a few bucks or getting a better deal on a car with more stuff.

YMMV.
Agree
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2018, 08:42 PM   #18
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

A CPO 2016 can be had for $20K less, though it won't have apple car play. Small price to pay as it is a $350 option in the states and is now being offered as a service you pay annually for after the first 4 years.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2018, 08:54 PM   #19
Rox335i
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 14' 335i, 17' X6 35i

If you spec out the car I would get a rwd. I'm from Ottawa and we get much more snow than Toronto. Rwd is much more fun to drive than awd.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2018, 05:25 AM   #20
Ikester19
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: G20 M340ix; F30 328i msport

Garage List
2018 330i LCI  [0.00]
2020 G20 M340ix  [0.00]
Quote:
Thank for your reply

If it was me I would go with what I want, not with what the dealer wants to sell me or what is available on the floor, even if it’s going to cost $4k more. I am speaking from experience, when I bought my 3er I bought the car available rather than wait three months and pay slightly more for what exactly I wanted and still regret it.

You don’t get to buy a car let alone a BMW every day so when you do make sure it is spc’d exactly like you want it. Personally I think snapper rocks with beige interior looks awesome!

Ok that’s my 2c worth!
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2018, 08:49 AM   #21
Perseus83
Private
Rep

Quote:

YMMV.
To be honest, I sat inside of a car with Merino leather and Dakota leather and although the Merino felt somewhat nicer, it wasn't significantly nicer. The Dakota leather also felt tougher, whereas in my current IS350, the leather is so soft that I'm afraid that it could easily rip/scratch.

I *completely* agree with you on getting the exact colours & specs rather than trying to save a few bucks with a car off the lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
A CPO 2016 can be had for $20K less, though it won't have apple car play. Small price to pay as it is a $350 option in the states and is now being offered as a service you pay annually for after the first 4 years.
Yes, that's true. But I've been having a hard time finding a 335/340 CPO in Canada. I can find 328's, but I'm not too interested. Furthermore, since this is technically a wedding gift for both the (soon to be) wife and I, I'd prefer getting something new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rox335i View Post
If you spec out the car I would get a rwd. I'm from Ottawa and we get much more snow than Toronto. Rwd is much more fun to drive than awd.
Although I'm sure I'll be fine with a RWD car, I'm more worried about my wife driving a RWD car in the winter. Last winter we got a crapload of ice, which is worse than snow...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikester19 View Post
If it was me I would go with what I want, not with what the dealer wants to sell me or what is available on the floor, even if it’s going to cost $4k more. I am speaking from experience, when I bought my 3er I bought the car available rather than wait three months and pay slightly more for what exactly I wanted and still regret it.

You don’t get to buy a car let alone a BMW every day so when you do make sure it is spc’d exactly like you want it. Personally I think snapper rocks with beige interior looks awesome!

Ok that’s my 2c worth!
I completely agree and thank you for your feedback!

The lady would like sunset orange with a black interior... I know I mentioned Estoril blue earlier, but the lady will let me get the M performance kit 2, so I can definitely compromise on the colour hehe.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2018, 09:32 AM   #22
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
To be honest, I sat inside of a car with Merino leather and Dakota leather and although the Merino felt somewhat nicer, it wasn't significantly nicer. The Dakota leather also felt tougher, whereas in my current IS350, the leather is so soft that I'm afraid that it could easily rip/scratch.
So that begs the question why you are looking at Merino Leather for this car?
Appreciate 0