E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Another exhaust problem E90 330i

05-28-2018, 05:48 AM   #1
Wally_84
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

Another exhaust problem E90 330i

I get rid of my OEM muffler today in favour of Magnaflow 12138 and I regret it.
The car has aftermarket catless headers, and resonator in place (no secondary cats in EU version).
The OEM muffler did start to rattle (but it was bearable), so after some reviews i decided to go with the Magnaflow.

Just as I started to move from exhaust shop I was like Omg what have I done... It's so loud and obnoxius that my head hurts.

What can i do now to fix this?
Should I install high flow cats? or should i just install the OEM muffler back?

For me the car now is undrivable.
      05-28-2018, 08:54 AM   #2
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Throw in the oe muffler and consider another muffler or resonator such as a pair of Aero AR20’s further up.

Last edited by 3002 tii; 05-29-2018 at 12:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2018, 09:13 AM   #3
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT / E92 328 Msport 6MT

The muffler is literally undersized and smaller than OEM (including an inlet that is 2.25” vs OEM 2.5” You need a 2.5” to 3” inlet) but I would consider a different muffler completely and an in-line resonator (to control rasp - resonators don’t typically help with volume.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2018, 10:19 AM   #4
Elias_E90
Private
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: E90 328i

I feel you. Let me know how you end up. I have a setup very close to yours.. i am not done yet.. tried magnaflow then tried another muffler (custom made, featured a straight throught + chamber, it was less loud but still drones af on low rpm), added resonators in place of secondaries (eliminated rasp but not the drone). Now i reinstalled my oem muffler to love my car again but felt power loss (mid range and high rpm). Tried to fit a helmholtz resonator but couldnt. Im gonna delete the resonators in place of the secondaries and test it for a while till i find a quiet high flowing muffler.. been searching and i found a muffler design called S turbo. Will let you know what happens when i find one
      05-28-2018, 10:26 AM   #5
Wally_84
Private
Rep

And how about putting the OEM back and using 12138 instead of OEM resonator? Or should I forget about it?

@Taskmaster, I think that OEM muffler is 2,25" and I still have OEM resonator.
Yeah now I know you are right and that I need bigger and closed muffler more like Eisenmann but man they are expensive.

@3002 tii, so basically another Magnaflow muffler before the OEM one should do the trick? Hate to buy another one but it's still cheaper than Eisenmann.

I'm getting back to the workshop tomorrow putting the OEM back for now.

Edited: or maybe I should use both? 12138 before resonator? does that have any sense?
      05-28-2018, 10:37 AM   #6
Wally_84
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elias_E90 View Post
I feel you. Let me know how you end up. I have a setup very close to yours.. i am not done yet.. tried magnaflow then tried another muffler (custom made, featured a straight throught + chamber, it was less loud but still drones af on low rpm), added resonators in place of secondaries (eliminated rasp but not the drone). Now i reinstalled my oem muffler to love my car again but felt power loss (mid range and high rpm). Tried to fit a helmholtz resonator but couldnt. Im gonna delete the resonators in place of the secondaries and test it for a while till i find a quiet high flowing muffler.. been searching and i found a muffler design called S turbo. Will let you know what happens when i find one
Heh... and here I was thinking that after Milv'es it all would be easy
For sure, and you let me know too if you find anything.
      05-28-2018, 10:43 AM   #7
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally_84 View Post
And how about putting the OEM back and using 12138 instead of OEM resonator? Or should I forget about it?

Yeah now I know you are right and that I need bigger and closed muffler more like Eisenmann but man they are expensive.

@3002 tii, so basically another Magnaflow muffler before the OEM one should do the trick? Hate to buy another one but it's still cheaper than Eisenmann.

Edited: or maybe I should use both? 12138 before resonator? does that have any sense?
Reinstall the OEM muffler. If there was a rattle though there might be some damage so perhaps look for another used one.

Additionally, consider installing another muffler further up after where the headers dump. This is where the US secondary cats would be installed.

Don’t get too caught up on ‘muffler’ vs ‘resonator’, the differences more applied to traditional design differences but nowadays every company markets something A as B and vice versa. The key is to find something with packing. The more traditional muffler that relies solely on chambered design without packing leads to a lot of unwanted drone. The Magnaflows I listed have perforated pipes with packing materials which will absorb a lot of the volume.

My original exhaust was too loud as well. Eventually I installed a Magnaflow midstream and it made a huge difference.

Before

After
      05-28-2018, 10:47 AM   #8
Elias_E90
Private
Lebanon
Rep

Quote:
Heh... and here I was thinking that after Milv'es it all would be easy
For sure, and you let me know too if you find anything.
I will postpone buying a new muffler for a month or 2 because i paid too much on my exhaust with no satisfaction.
In the mean time i will install milvs and update my tune.

If i get a new muffler ill consult summit racing, maybe they can help me with what i want.

I dont think you can fit another muffler behind your magnaflow. I also still have oem resonator. The problem is that my car is auto, while cruising it tends to stay arround 1800 rpm which is where the drone was bad
      05-28-2018, 10:53 AM   #9
Elias_E90
Private
Lebanon
Rep

3002 tii sounds amazing, do you still have oem resonator ?
      05-28-2018, 10:55 AM   #10
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
3002 tii sounds amazing, do you still have oem resonator ?
No I got rid of the entire OEM piping and went all custom.

Post a picture of your current exhaust and we can then advise what’s best for your needs.
      05-28-2018, 11:42 AM   #11
Elias_E90
Private
Lebanon
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3002 tii View Post
No I got rid of the entire OEM piping and went all custom.

Post a picture of your current exhaust and we can then advise what’s best for your needs.
I cant get a photo at this time, however now it is stock apart from aa headers and 2 straight through mufflers instead of secondaries. However, can we see a picture of yours ? My only problem was the drone. Maybe ill get the magnaflow u mentioned above and install it middle + combine it with a borla or a flowmaster

Edit : i have seen your combination om youtube

Last edited by Elias_E90; 05-28-2018 at 11:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2018, 12:11 PM   #12
Wally_84
Private
Rep

Quote:
Reinstall the OEM muffler. If there was a rattle though there might be some damage so perhaps look for another used one.

Additionally, consider installing another muffler further up after where the headers dump. This is where the US secondary cats would be installed.

Don’t get too caught up on ‘muffler’ vs ‘resonator’, the differences more applied to traditional design differences but nowadays every company markets something A as B and vice versa. The key is to find something with packing. The more traditional muffler that relies solely on chambered design without packing leads to a lot of unwanted drone. The Magnaflows I listed have perforated pipes with packing materials which will absorb a lot of the volume.

My original exhaust was too loud as well. Eventually I installed a Magnaflow midstream and it made a huge difference.

Before

After
Thanks 3002 tii, ill do that.
Can you show me your combination?
Elias_E90 said it's on yb but I couldn’t find it .

I have an appointment for tomorrow to undo my mistakes.
I think you are right about my OEM being damaged (metal drone) because i didn’t have any drone right after putting on the headers.
But I’m afraid that buying a used one will end up just the same eventually.

After today I was close to uploading the OEM file and get back to stock headers just for a peace of mind

Last edited by Wally_84; 05-28-2018 at 12:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2018, 12:24 PM   #13
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep

Quote:

The OEM muffler inlet is about 2.5" but yes, you'll need a larger muffler (which I would recommend over running two if possible)

You can utilize a quieter muffler, but it will cost power (like the OEM)
http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticl...Mean-Slow.aspx

A Mustang magazine did a test with a few mufflers a few years back:

http://www.mustangandfords.com/parts...mparison-test/

Simplest goals - Use the biggest case you can find, and toss an ultra quiet resonator (basically a resonator that muffles SOME - but not an actual muffler replacement) Use the proper diameters for best power.
Appreciate 1
      05-28-2018, 12:32 PM   #14
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I cant get a photo at this time, however now it is stock apart from aa headers and 2 straight through mufflers instead of secondaries. However, can we see a picture of yours ? My only problem was the drone. Maybe ill get the magnaflow u mentioned above and install it middle + combine it with a borla or a flowmaster

Edit : i have seen your combination om youtube
Sold the car few weeks ago so can't snap pics, and anything I have is pretty outdated that doesn't reflect the latest version. But essentially it was: Supersprint catless headers -> 3" Y pipe -> 3" high flow cat -> Magnaflow muffler -> Flowmaster Hushpower muffler

OP - I wonder how your Magnaflow compares to the stock resonator. If the Magnaflow you have is quieter, you maybe able to reuse that in lieu of the stock resonator and throw back the original muffler. Then even squeeze something in front of where the high flow cats are in that diagram... seems like the straight pipes leading from the headers might be able to house 2 AR20's...
Attached Images

Last edited by 3002 tii; 05-28-2018 at 12:39 PM..
Appreciate 1
      05-28-2018, 12:32 PM   #15
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep

https://www.summitracing.com/oh/part...0349/overview/
https://www.summitracing.com/oh/part...1142/overview/

I might try to return my muffler (smaller case than the one I linked) for this one. Expect the e90 to be slightly quieter due in part to a exhaust merger
Appreciate 1
      05-28-2018, 01:10 PM   #16
Wally_84
Private
Rep

Quote:
Sold the car few weeks ago so can't snap pics, and anything I have is pretty outdated that doesn't reflect the latest version. But essentially it was: Supersprint catless headers -> 3" Y pipe -> 3" high flow cat -> Magnaflow muffler -> Flowmaster Hushpower muffler

OP - I wonder how your Magnaflow compares to the stock resonator. If the Magnaflow you have is quieter, you maybe able to reuse that in lieu of the stock resonator and throw back the original muffler. Then even squeeze something in front of where the high flow cats are in that diagram... seems like the straight pipes leading from the headers might be able to house 2 AR20's...

3002 tii Do you remember maybe what kind of a high flow cat did you use?
I was planning to install high flow cats in the future.

So to summarize what should I go for?
Should I go for something similar to your set-up:
1. 3" Y pipe ( you mean in 2x2,25" and out 1x3"?)
2. High flow cat (which one? 100, 200cpsi?)
3. Keep stock resonator vs change it to my magnaflow muffler 12138 (which one would be better (more quiet)?
4. New used OEM BMW muffler.

Is that correct?
Or since I was quite happy with oem muffler + resonator until it started to drone i can start with:

1. Install OEM muffler back
2. Install 12138 in place of OEM resonator ?

05-28-2018, 01:24 PM   #17
Wally_84
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taskmaster View Post

https://www.summitracing.com/oh/part...0349/overview/
https://www.summitracing.com/oh/part...1142/overview/

I might try to return my muffler (smaller case than the one I linked) for this one. Expect the e90 to be slightly quieter due in part to a exhaust merger
Taskmaster have you installed resonator, 1142?
Is it that much better from magnaflow 12138 or OEM BMW?
      05-28-2018, 01:24 PM   #18
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
3002 tii Do you remember maybe what kind of a high flow cat did you use?
I was planning to install high flow cats in the future.

So to summarize what should I go for?
Should I go for something similar to your set-up:
1. 3" Y pipe ( you mean in 2x2,25" and out 1x3"?)
2. High flow cat (which one? 100, 200cpsi?)
3. Keep stock resonator vs change it to my magnaflow muffler 12138 (which one would be better (more quiet)?
4. New used OEM BMW muffler.

Is that correct?
Or since I was quite happy with oem muffler + resonator until it started to drone i can start with:

1. Install OEM muffler back
2. Install 12138 in place of OEM resonator ?

I only listed my setup because someone asked for it but I wouldn’t recommend you change yours to 3”. All you want to do is get the exhaust quieter so at very least, reinstall your original OEM muffler. But before doing so, make sure that ‘rattle’ you heard wasn’t because the muffler was broken.

Drive around and see how you like it. If it’s still too loud, then think about adding additional mufflers or resonators further upstream (whether it’s reusing your Magnaflow 12138 or getting something entirely different). But don’t spend money unnecessarily, do one thing at a time. And when you do put the OEM muffler back, take a picture of the car underneath and try to take measurements of existing piping.
      05-28-2018, 01:53 PM   #19
Wally_84
Private
Rep

I think it was muffler's fault because now loud as it is it doesn't have that rattle.
And i remeber that it did not rattle few months back.

I need my car and I can't wait another 3 days for replacement OEM muffler to arrive. So I figured since I'm going there to get my failed but drivable muffler back in I can repurpose Magnaflow muffler for resonator as well.

If it's going to be bad I simply reinstall stock resonator few days later after replacement OEM muffler arrives.

Unless off course someone already done that and doesn't recommend it.
      05-28-2018, 02:18 PM   #20
Big Mexican Women
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 528i

Quote:
I think it was muffler's fault because now loud as it is it doesn't have that rattle.
And i remeber that it did not rattle few months back.

I need my car and I can't wait another 3 days for replacement OEM muffler to arrive. So I figured since I'm going there to get my failed but drivable muffler back in I can repurpose Magnaflow muffler for resonator as well.

If it's going to be bad I simply reinstall stock resonator few days later after replacement OEM muffler arrives.

Unless off course someone already done that and doesn't recommend it.
you should reinstall the OEM resonator for now. it will help a lot.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2018, 02:59 PM   #21
Wally_84
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Mexican Women View Post
you should reinstall the OEM resonator for now. it will help a lot.
You mean OEM muffler? Off course I will reinstall it.

I have OEM resonator in place but want to re use 12138 as a resonator for few days as a test.
      05-28-2018, 03:06 PM   #22
Big Mexican Women
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 528i

Quote:
You mean OEM muffler? Off course I will reinstall it.

I have OEM resonator in place but want to re use 12138 as a resonator for few days as a test.
oh, I thought you mentioned that you do not have the OEM resonator in place. the Magnaflow mufflers are really only good if you do not have catless headers... with catless headers it is way too loud and the sound is not good.

where do you plan to put the #12138 resonator? add that, and you may want to consider also adding some high-flow cats where the north american version would have the secondary cats.
Appreciate 0