F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Dealership sticker on the rear of the car
Extreme Powerhouse

05-29-2018, 02:23 PM   #1
Rox335i
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 14' 335i, 17' X6 35i

Dealership sticker on the rear of the car

How would I remove a dealership sticker that is sticked on the rear of the car? Do I just ripped it off? Or do I need a dryer?
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2018, 02:27 PM   #2
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW F36

Warm up, pull off, clean residuals with tar removal (no rubbing, no scratching!)
      05-29-2018, 03:15 PM   #3
_tlink
Guy with a car
Rep
Drives: 15' 435i Msport

Heat gun and some peeling will do the trick. Goo-be-gone it to get rid of the residue left over and give it a quick polish to clean up surface
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2018, 05:02 PM   #4
Gospeedracer
Private
Rep
Drives: Estoril 435i M-Sport

If no heat available.park the sticker toward the sun and let it warm up.plastic scrapper if it's stubborn.goo gone to remove any residue and some wax to buff the area.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2018, 05:20 PM   #5
2000Z3M
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 435i ZHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gospeedracer View Post
If no heat available.park the sticker toward the sun and let it warm up.plastic scrapper if it's stubborn.goo gone to remove any residue and some wax to buff the area.
blow dryer works for heat
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2018, 05:22 PM   #6
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
No plastic scraper you'll scratch the paint. Dental floss to cut through tape.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2018, 05:28 PM   #7
Gospeedracer
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
Quote:
I imagine it's relatively new sticker it should come off with little effort. Aged stickers are stubborn and unless you hack at the paint a plastic razor blade or scraper doesn't scratch If you pick at the sticker from the edge to get some to grip and peel back. You don't need an extension cord,blow dryer or heat gun. Summer sun will have any car scorching. Honestly just try the good ole finger nail pick. It's just a sticker.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2018, 05:33 PM   #8
Steakpizza
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 320i

Just did this. On a hot day, just start peeling. Took about 20 minutes. Stay clear of the heat gun because you might heat the pain and cause it damage if you accidentally touch it.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2018, 05:38 PM   #9
Gospeedracer
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steakpizza View Post
Just did this. On a hot day, just start peeling. Took about 20 minutes. Stay clear of the heat gun because you might heat the pain and cause it damage if you accidentally touch it.
Exactly, all you need is a finger at first.
I just stepped outside and there is no sun in NC at the moment but very humid!!

Anyways I remembered I needed to do the same to my Titan.
Took less than 5mins.
No scratches. Just had to finger it:-)
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-29-2018, 05:48 PM   #10
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
Quote:
I imagine it's relatively new sticker it should come off with little effort. Aged stickers are stubborn and unless you hack at the paint a plastic razor blade or scraper doesn't scratch If you pick at the sticker from the edge to get some to grip and peel back. You don't need an extension cord,blow dryer or heat gun. Summer sun will have any car scorching. Honestly just try the good ole finger nail pick. It's just a sticker.
Ah I assumed dealer badge vs sticker. Just vinyl decal hit it with the hairdryer and fingernail scrape totally.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2018, 07:02 PM   #11
hadeswolf
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 330i

Removing the sticker was the first thing I did when I bought my car.

I just let the trunk heat up a little in the scorching Florida sun and gently picked at it with my fingernails. Cleaned up the gunk with a little Goo-Gone, it took less than 5 minutes for me.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2018, 08:23 PM   #12
NormanConquest
That Libertarian Guy
Rep
Drives: 340i

I dont mind my dealer name on the car but it just a generic saying
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2018, 08:41 PM   #13
RAK92
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 435i Coupe M Sport

You should be able to pick it off with your finger if it’s relativelt new.

One thing I do now when I buy a new car is specifically request that no dealer stickers get attached. I’ve seen some places put an actual emblem vice sticker on their new cars. Ugh. That would just make me go nuts. Much harder to remove without damaging paint.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2018, 08:42 PM   #14
Elvisfan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 430ix convertible MGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormanConquest View Post
I dont mind my dealer name on the car but it just a generic saying
I had the dealer remove the sticker. Or pay me for the advertising. They always removed the sticker.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2018, 05:29 AM   #15
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW F36

Fortunately this is not common in Europe. Only license plate holders with advertisment on the frame. Which were replaced within weeks in my case
      05-30-2018, 08:08 AM   #16
Coercion Shaman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 Audi A5 Prestige S/B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvisfan View Post
I had the dealer remove the sticker. Or pay me for the advertising. They always removed the sticker.
Same here. At the deal close, I advise to remove the sticker or give me another $500 off for a year of advertising. They always remove it.
      05-30-2018, 12:08 PM   #17
supermarket
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 340xi, 1996 328iS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coercion Shaman View Post
Same here. At the deal close, I advise to remove the sticker or give me another $500 off for a year of advertising. They always remove it.
The standard purchase contract my dealer used had a clause allowing them to put this advertising on the car. The language in my case was, under “Other Conditions,” “I also authorize you to install your standard Dealer’s emblem on the Vehicle Purchased.”

Of course, it doesn’t impose any restriction on removing this junk after delivery.

I happened to know that this particular dealer didn’t stick anything to the paint, they just use plate frames, so I didn’t make a stink about it. I’m sure that they wouldn’t have been willing to lose the deal over it and we could have struck that clause out if I had insisted, but I figured I’d be better off banking the “points” to make a stink about something else if necessary.

The car was in fact delivered with dealer frames, which were removed shortly thereafter.

Just pointing this out because it’s something that you may want to think about when you’re signing the contract rather than when you’re taking delivery.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2018, 12:17 PM   #18
Gen13 F36
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428i Gran Coupe

I don't advertise unless I get paid or I get it for free. So I remove all them sticker, dealers name. 😉
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2018, 12:22 PM   #19
Coercion Shaman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 Audi A5 Prestige S/B

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermarket View Post
The standard purchase contract my dealer used had a clause allowing them to put this advertising on the car. The language in my case was, under “Other Conditions,” “I also authorize you to install your standard Dealer’s emblem on the Vehicle Purchased.”

Of course, it doesn’t impose any restriction on removing this junk after delivery.

I happened to know that this particular dealer didn’t stick anything to the paint, they just use plate frames, so I didn’t make a stink about it. I’m sure that they wouldn’t have been willing to lose the deal over it and we could have struck that clause out if I had insisted, but I figured I’d be better off banking the “points” to make a stink about something else if necessary.

The car was in fact delivered with dealer frames, which were removed shortly thereafter.

Just pointing this out because it’s something that you may want to think about when you’re signing the contract rather than when you’re taking delivery.
Absolutely a valid point. That is why I said at deal close and not delivery. That is when we are signing the paperwork. It also gives the delivery prep folks time to remove it when getting the car ready.

If it is only a plate frame, I completely agree that it is just easier to remove it when I get home.
      05-30-2018, 12:34 PM   #20
supermarket
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 340xi, 1996 328iS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coercion Shaman View Post
Absolutely a valid point. That is why I said at deal close and not delivery. That is when we are signing the paperwork. It also gives the delivery prep folks time to remove it when getting the car ready.
Or maybe not even install it to begin with! (On a custom order, anyway.)

I’m shocked at how many cars (of all makes) have this tacky garbage on them, especially when it’s so easily removed (or avoided to begin with). I kind of understand how people might worry about damaging the paint when it’s a sticker, but when it’s a plate frame and all it takes is a screwdriver? Come on!

At least we’ve moved on from the days when dealers would drill holes through metal to install these things.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2018, 12:54 PM   #21
LiquidMercury
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000Z3M View Post
blow dryer works for heat
^^^ This. Don't worry about the paint, lol. It's auto paint and designed to withstand heat. Besides, if you're using a hair dryer on your car, it's fine. Think about it this way: Can't do any damage to the paint than it would to your hair after all.

And yeah, don't use a scraper of any type...THAT will damage your paint.

Bloody stealerships. Pay them for the car and they expect you to advertise them for free. Thankfully mine only had branded plate covers that I day one replaced.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2018, 01:33 PM   #22
JamesWWIII
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 440i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hadeswolf View Post
Cleaned up the gunk with a little Goo-Gone, it took less than 5 minutes for me.
Goo-Gone can be used to remove candle wax, any concern it would strip the wax off your car finish?

I guess one could simply go over the area with wax after removing the decal.
Appreciate 0