F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > First Track Day in My F30: Help?
proTUNING Freaks

05-31-2018, 08:17 PM   #1
rjd_F30
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i 6MT

First Track Day in My F30: Help?

Preface: I didn't really know where to post this since the tracking section gets no traffic, so I figured here would be a good place .

Hey everyone. So I'm going to Pocono June 14th to their track day, and it will be my first track experience (besides the drag strip) in my F30. I wanted to post and see if there is anything F30 specific I should know regarding tracking these cars.

Here is what I'm most concerned about: My car has light mods (in signature), and I'm not running an upgraded FMIC. Will overheating be an issue? What's the deal with the oil starvation thing; should I be worried about it? I know one track mile equals about 50 street miles, so will tracking her once in a while really do a number on longevity?

I know this is very general, but I just wanted to get some opinions. If there's anything else you guys think a first time F30 track-goer should know, I'd be glad to hear it. Thank you!

Extra question: if anyone knows where I can get a cheap Snell/DOT helmet feel free to let me know

Last edited by rjd_F30; 05-31-2018 at 08:31 PM..
Appreciate 1
c0nrad93.00
      05-31-2018, 09:21 PM   #2
Niart906
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3, 2003 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjdnyy224 View Post
Preface: I didn't really know where to post this since the tracking section gets no traffic, so I figured here would be a good place .

Hey everyone. So I'm going to Pocono June 14th to their track day, and it will be my first track experience (besides the drag strip) in my F30. I wanted to post and see if there is anything F30 specific I should know regarding tracking these cars.

Here is what I'm most concerned about: My car has light mods (in signature), and I'm not running an upgraded FMIC. Will overheating be an issue? What's the deal with the oil starvation thing; should I be worried about it? I know one track mile equals about 50 street miles, so will tracking her once in a while really do a number on longevity?

I know this is very general, but I just wanted to get some opinions. If there's anything else you guys think a first time F30 track-goer should know, I'd be glad to hear it. Thank you!

Extra question: if anyone knows where I can get a cheap Snell/DOT helmet feel free to let me know
Heat soaking will likely happen in the later sessions and you’ll probably feel the car pulling boost to stay safe, more so if it’s hot. If you plan on tracking more frequently I’d invest in an aftermarket FMIC to stay safe.

Can’t comment on the oil starvation specifically, but my N55 hasn’t had any issues. Just be sure to top up the oil before you get to the track, and maybe watch the level if your car is known to burn oil. My N55 burns but not a noticeable amount on the track to warrant a top off.

Expect to use your brakes heavily at Pocono. My 335 hits 140+ on the back straight regularly, I’m sure your 328 won’t be too far off. So if time/funds allow, flush your stock brake fluid out to something with a higher boiling point. I like Motul RBF600, but there are plenty of other great fluids available. My 335 has been to Pocono at least half a dozen times now, and I haven’t had any trouble stopping lap after lap even in the later sessions. Brake pedal stays nice and stiff.

June 14th is a Track Night in America event right? They partner with some company that offers SNELL helmets at a discount. Check their website or your registration confirmation email for the link. Otherwise, I bought my helmet from amazon for something like $150 on prime a few years ago.

Also heads up, Pocono does not have any food or drink on the premises. So bring some snacks and drinks. Get there early to be sure you can get a garage spot too.

I’m probably going to have to miss this next event, we’re expecting our 2nd baby on June 8th. Would be nice to see a fellow F30’er at the track. Maybe later this summer I’ll get to see you on the track. Good luck and have fun!
rjd_F301999.50
jmg18709.50
      05-31-2018, 09:40 PM   #3
rjd_F30
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niart906 View Post
Heat soaking will likely happen in the later sessions and you’ll probably feel the car pulling boost to stay safe, more so if it’s hot. If you plan on tracking more frequently I’d invest in an aftermarket FMIC to stay safe.

Can’t comment on the oil starvation specifically, but my N55 hasn’t had any issues. Just be sure to top up the oil before you get to the track, and maybe watch the level if your car is known to burn oil. My N55 burns but not a noticeable amount on the track to warrant a top off.

Expect to use your brakes heavily at Pocono. My 335 hits 140+ on the back straight regularly, I’m sure your 328 won’t be too far off. So if time/funds allow, flush your stock brake fluid out to something with a higher boiling point. I like Motul RBF600, but there are plenty of other great fluids available. My 335 has been to Pocono at least half a dozen times now, and I haven’t had any trouble stopping lap after lap even in the later sessions. Brake pedal stays nice and stiff.

June 14th is a Track Night in America event right? They partner with some company that offers SNELL helmets at a discount. Check their website or your registration confirmation email for the link. Otherwise, I bought my helmet from amazon for something like $150 on prime a few years ago.

Also heads up, Pocono does not have any food or drink on the premises. So bring some snacks and drinks. Get there early to be sure you can get a garage spot too.

I’m probably going to have to miss this next event, we’re expecting our 2nd baby on June 8th. Would be nice to see a fellow F30’er at the track. Maybe later this summer I’ll get to see you on the track. Good luck and have fun!
That was very insightful, thank you!

I'll top oil before hand if needed and bring a quart or so with me just to be safe. I've never had issues, but can't hurt to be safe, thanks for the tip. And I definitely plan on an FMIC eventually, but won't have time to get it done before the event. Also just had a brake flush done so I'm still working with fresh fluid. Albeit not high temp fluid, but fresh at least. Thanks so much for the tips.

It is a Track Night in America event btw. So do I need a Snell helmet or will DOT be ok?

EDIT: I checked, gonna have to be a snell helmet.
      05-31-2018, 10:49 PM   #4
chiefneil
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport

As a newbie both to track driving and that particular track, I doubt you’ll have overheating issues, at least not for your first few sessions. Late in the day, assuming you have an experienced driver riding shotgun and showing you the lines and correcting your mistakes, you might just maybe start approaching the limits of the car. But for a 1-day session and your first time out, I kind of doubt it.

Anyway that said, don’t use your parking brake after hot laps. Just leave the car in Park or 1st if you have a stick. Also pop the hood between sessions if you’re concerned about heat, and/or let the car idle for a few minutes immediately after a session. If you have a cooldown lap at the end of a session, use it as an actual cooldown lap and take it easy.

As another poster said, be sure to bring water, food, and entertainment (book, iPad, whatever). And maybe a camp chair if you have one. Have fun!
Appreciate 1
rjd_F301999.50
      06-01-2018, 12:51 AM   #5
lens
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:

I'd be more worried about the brakes! First timer you'll use your brakes more often than anything. Just focus on having a feel for yourself and your cars limits, and then afterwards once you get a bit more experience and get used to your car, add more power and start worrying about heatsoak afterwards. Make sure you do a cooldown lap after to cool the engine, brakes and tires. After when you are stopped, run a oil test to make sure your engine has enough oil.
      06-01-2018, 12:57 AM   #6
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
In order of importance:

Safety - lean your car's limits. Learn your limits. How? Find your lines.

Lines - Use the warm up laps. Don't go 10/10 off the bat. Your primary focus should be your lines, not how hard you are pushing the car. You can torture you car around the track until the tires melt off, it won't make a difference if you don't figure out the correct lines. Your car should do just fine on your first day. Your car won't be the holding you back from getting fast lap times, your skill will be. Work on that first.

Brakes - do what the other poster said. Look into a higher boiling point fluid for next time. For now, find your brake zones. Can you go deeper, when does ABS kick in? Don't use your parking brake after your heat.

Tires - if you are on run flats, you might want to swap them out later on. I wouldn't worry too much your first time around. Again, learn the track, find the lines, then upgrade.

Cooling - open your hood between runs. Use those cool down laps. On the flip side, use the warm up laps too, these are good times to really find those lines. It doesn't help if you are going 100% on the warm up, unnecessarily getting your car closer to heat soak when you don't have to.

Fun - actually, this should be #1. Have a lot of it!

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 2
rjd_F301999.50
      06-01-2018, 02:11 AM   #7
bheng89
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 328xi

https://www.revzilla.com/closeout-mo..._holiday=false

quick google search brought me to this. unsure if the filters are set but you can find the Snell rating towards the bottom. im sure other online motorcycle gear websites/stores will have their own clearance section.
Appreciate 1
rjd_F301999.50
      06-01-2018, 03:47 AM   #8
rjd_F30
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefneil View Post
As a newbie both to track driving and that particular track, I doubt you’ll have overheating issues, at least not for your first few sessions. Late in the day, assuming you have an experienced driver riding shotgun and showing you the lines and correcting your mistakes, you might just maybe start approaching the limits of the car. But for a 1-day session and your first time out, I kind of doubt it.

Anyway that said, don’t use your parking brake after hot laps. Just leave the car in Park or 1st if you have a stick. Also pop the hood between sessions if you’re concerned about heat, and/or let the car idle for a few minutes immediately after a session. If you have a cooldown lap at the end of a session, use it as an actual cooldown lap and take it easy.

As another poster said, be sure to bring water, food, and entertainment (book, iPad, whatever). And maybe a camp chair if you have one. Have fun!
I guess I was a bit more worried about heatsoak than you're making me think I should be The IC on the N20 is just so puny I was assuming it wouldn't tolerate two laps before it started letting the car get too hot. I have an 8AT, thanks for the parking break tip I didn't know that .

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaungo View Post
I'd be more worried about the brakes! First timer you'll use your brakes more often than anything. Just focus on having a feel for yourself and your cars limits, and then afterwards once you get a bit more experience and get used to your car, add more power and start worrying about heatsoak afterwards. Make sure you do a cooldown lap after to cool the engine, brakes and tires. After when you are stopped, run a oil test to make sure your engine has enough oil.
That's my goal for my first track day: learn the car. I've had it for a while so I sort of know it's street limits but tracking is obviously a whole different ball gam. I'll definitely keep an eye on oil levels as well, I wasn't even thinking about that. And I'll be sure to actually use the warm up and cool down laps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
In order of importance:

Safety - lean your car's limits. Learn your limits. How? Find your lines.

Lines - Use the warm up laps. Don't go 10/10 off the bat. Your primary focus should be your lines, not how hard you are pushing the car. You can torture you car around the track until the tires melt off, it won't make a difference if you don't figure out the correct lines. Your car should do just fine on your first day. Your car won't be the holding you back from getting fast lap times, your skill will be. Work on that first.

Brakes - do what the other poster said. Look into a higher boiling point fluid for next time. For now, find your brake zones. Can you go deeper, when does ABS kick in? Don't use your parking brake after your heat.

Tires - if you are on run flats, you might want to swap them out later on. I wouldn't worry too much your first time around. Again, learn the track, find the lines, then upgrade.

Cooling - open your hood between runs. Use those cool down laps. On the flip side, use the warm up laps too, these are good times to really find those lines. It doesn't help if you are going 100% on the warm up, unnecessarily getting your car closer to heat soak when you don't have to.

Fun - actually, this should be #1. Have a lot of it!
I will definitely be looking into high temp brake fluid for the future. And like I said before, I'll definitely be using this sessions as a way to learn the for the future. Good tip on opening the hood in-between/after sessions.

All very insightful, thank you all for the responses.
      06-01-2018, 04:52 AM   #9
nickf30
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i xDrive

I use Bimmercode to code tire pressure / temperature display + Bimmerlink to monitor the oil pressure + engine temp for my first tracknight at Limerock. Brake bleed with Motul 600F + Fresh oil change Pennzoil Ultra Euro 5W-40. My 335i xDrive MPPK Auto has no cooling issue it is still pulling very hard at the end of the day (80-85F ambient). No oil level change before/after + oil temp never go above 250F. Fact I began to use more engine brake to protect my OEM brake pads after seeing how much extra engine cooling capacity I had.

The real problem for me is the PS4S got overheat quickly after about 5 laps the front tires lost grip and become a tire management exercise. Turned out I lowered my tire pressure too much especially at the front. Adjust you tire pressure after first session if needed.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-01-2018, 09:22 AM   #10
chiefneil
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I guess I was a bit more worried about heatsoak than you're making me think I should be The IC on the N20 is just so puny I was assuming it wouldn't tolerate two laps before it started letting the car get too hot.
The unexpected thing for me the first time at the track is how damn scary it is to have the gas floored at 90+ while barreling straight into a corner with a bigass concrete barrier right there if you screw up.

When you’re just learning, you’re not going to be hitting those turns at 10/10ths. You’ll be lifting early and breaking early. Then you’ll probably be getting back on the gas either too early or too late, missing the apex, losing momentum, and missing the opportunity to maximize acceleration up though the next brake point.

All of which is to say, you’re not going to be stressing the engine as much as you will until your 2nd, 3rd, and 4th time out. Even the brakes probably won’t take much of a beating as you just won’t be carrying as much speed as you will later on when you have more experience and know the track better. Although your front tires will probably be working hard as they’re the ones that get penalized when you’re learning.

That’s just my personal recollection of the pucker-factor and my own learning curve. YMMV of course, you may turn out to be a quicker learner than I was!
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2018, 09:27 AM   #11
chiefneil
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

BTW, some people slap blue painter’s tape on their headlights (and sometimes all over the front of the car) on track days to prevent rock chips. Just FYI. I never did since I always do a clear bra. You might want to bring a roll of tape just in case you feel like doing it.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2018, 09:51 AM   #12
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickf30 View Post
I use Bimmercode to code tire pressure / temperature display + Bimmerlink to monitor the oil pressure + engine temp for my first tracknight at Limerock. Brake bleed with Motul 600F + Fresh oil change Pennzoil Ultra Euro 5W-40. My 335i xDrive MPPK Auto has no cooling issue it is still pulling very hard at the end of the day (80-85F ambient). No oil level change before/after + oil temp never go above 250F. Fact I began to use more engine brake to protect my OEM brake pads after seeing how much extra engine cooling capacity I had.

The real problem for me is the PS4S got overheat quickly after about 5 laps the front tires lost grip and become a tire management exercise. Turned out I lowered my tire pressure too much especially at the front. Adjust you tire pressure after first session if needed.
What pressure were you running to cause them to overheat?

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2018, 10:15 AM   #13
rjd_F30
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Keep in mind I have an N20 though, 328i. I know how pitiful the IC is so I expect at least a little heatsoak. My BM3 logs showed that IATs went from 70°-100° F after only a 2-4 gear pull. Oil cooling may be just as good as the N55 though, I'm not really sure. I don't have TPMS sensors in my Dinan wheels, but I'll check manually as often as I can. Thanks for the response!

Quote:
The unexpected thing for me the first time at the track is how damn scary it is to have the gas floored at 90+ while barreling straight into a corner with a bigass concrete barrier right there if you screw up.

When you’re just learning, you’re not going to be hitting those turns at 10/10ths. You’ll be lifting early and breaking early. Then you’ll probably be getting back on the gas either too early or too late, missing the apex, losing momentum, and missing the opportunity to maximize acceleration up though the next brake point.

All of which is to say, you’re not going to be stressing the engine as much as you will until your 2nd, 3rd, and 4th time out. Even the brakes probably won’t take much of a beating as you just won’t be carrying as much speed as you will later on when you have more experience and know the track better. Although your front tires will probably be working hard as they’re the ones that get penalized when you’re learning.

That’s just my personal recollection of the pucker-factor and my own learning curve. YMMV of course, you may turn out to be a quicker learner than I was!
Haha, we'll see. I have driven on track before (a Huracan in Vegas, quite fun) just never in my own car, which is just a little different than a Huracan lol. That does make sense though, being a novice I won't be pushing 10/10ths. The more I think about it the more I think the car can handle it.

Quote:
BTW, some people slap blue painter’s tape on their headlights (and sometimes all over the front of the car) on track days to prevent rock chips. Just FYI. I never did since I always do a clear bra. You might want to bring a roll of tape just in case you feel like doing it.
I might do that if I wasn't going to get my bumper resprayed soon anyway. Got in a parking lot fender bender and messed up some of the paint, no dent. If I didn't already have that I might take your suggestion!
      06-01-2018, 10:46 AM   #14
cptcrunch
Captain Crunch
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i

This is what I would recommend after spending 2 days at Mid-Ohio in my 2016 340i

Absolutely have your brake fluid flushed with high temp fluid. Some track organizers require a recent flush, I know Chin did. I used high temp fluid with the standard m sport brakes on my 340i at Mid-Ohio and I had no fade during the two days. In fact I was so impressed with the braking power and lack of fade I canceled my planned big brake kit upgrade. If you don't have the m sport package, pay close attention to brake fade.

Be careful that you do not damage your front tires if you aren't bringing an extra set. It is easy to do especially if you go into a corner too hot. I did this on my 3rd run because I didn't realize how tired I was. The fronts are ok, but are not in great shape anymore.

Bring snacks and lots of water. Hydrate often. It is ok to admit when you are tired.

Be prepared to fill up mid-day and definitely at night on the way to the hotel if this is a multiple day trip.

I bought the RaceQuip helmet from Amazon that is Snell 2015 rated. I like it, but it takes a while to get used to wearing it. It isn't a great helmet, but will work for my first few track days before I want to spend $600 on a great helmet.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2018, 11:09 AM   #15
nickf30
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I'm running 28-29/34 PSI cold (vs 32/38 sticker vs 34/38 I usually run for street). Here are the details:

Cold morning:
34/38 (80F)

A bit twisty road run before hitting the track:
36/39 (93F)

Before pace lap:

29/35 (not cold) (93F)

Lime rock park is 8 turns 1.5 miles circuit however 7 out of 8 turns are right turns. Slowest corner about mid 50 mph, highest speed I hit before turn 1 122 mph.

2-3 laps into each 20 minutes session feels good:
32 (Left-front) / 31 (Right-front) (120F)
37 / 37 (rear)

after 5 laps each session: losing grip
33 (Left-front) / 31 (Right-front) (135F peak on left front, 131F Avg)
38 - 39 (rear)

My take home notes:
1) I was targeting the front to go upto 36-38 PSI range (as was told by other track warriors). It was very far from that range.

2) I am running stock X-drive spring which gives me some real body roll at turn 1 (heavy braking -> double apex with some camber). [will install KW V1 or Koni Yellow + lowering spring before next event]

3) I keep DSC on all the time. The DSC light was flashing quite hard at the end of the day when I felt the front tire are melted (wasn't).

4) That's my first time on track also new to PS4S tires.

5) Most cars on the track that days had track rubber (from RE-11/RE-71 to some super sticky track tire). The RE-11 on the M3 went up to 160F front (measured with infra gun).

6) I am overly cautious on my brake wear / 6 months old OEM brake pad melting.

Any feedbacks / suggestions are welcome

Last edited by nickf30; 06-01-2018 at 12:28 PM..
Appreciate 1
jmg18709.50
      06-01-2018, 12:26 PM   #16
gds52
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4M Coupe, BMW 328i E93 Co

Since you are in NJ, I will highly recommend you to visit this shop. Driving Impressions in Dover NJ. The owner Bob is an enthusiast and prepares track/race cars...great guy. ...he can measure your helmet size and give you some to try. He can order helmet for you and ship to ur place. I got a helmet for cheapest price. Plus he has got some more stuff...shoes n all racing gear. You can ask some questions about preparing ur car for track.
Good luck enjoy your track day.
I will be there in July with HookedOnDriving. They get 3.5 mile long track.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2018, 12:28 PM   #17
gds52
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4M Coupe, BMW 328i E93 Co

Quote:
Quote:
I'm running 28-29/34 PSI cold (vs 32/38 sticker vs 34/38 I usually run for street). Here are the details:

Cold morning:
34/38 (80F)

A bit twisty road run before hitting the track:
36/39 (93F)

Before pace lap:

29/35 (not cold) (93F)

Lime rock park is 8 turns 1.5 miles circuit however 7 out of 8 turns are right turns. Slowest corner about mid 50 mph, highest speed I hit before turn 1 122 mph.

2-3 laps into each 20 minutes session feels good:
32 (Left-front) / 31 (Right-front) (120F)
37 / 37 (rear)

after 5 laps each session
33 (Left-front) / 31 (Right-front) (135F peak on left front, 131F Avg)
38 - 39 (rear)

My take home notes:
1) I was targeting the front to go upto 36-38 PSI range (as was told by other track warriors). It was very far from that range.

2) I am running stock X-drive spring which gives me some real body roll at turn 1 (heavy braking -> double apex with some camber). [will install KW V1 or Koni Yellow + lowering spring before next event]

3) I keep DSC on all the time. The DSC light was flashing quite hard at the end of the day when I felt the front tire are melted (wasn't).

4) That's my first time on track also new to PS4S tires.

5) Most cars on the track that days had track rubber (from RE-11/RE-71 to some super sticky track tire). The RE-11 on the M3 went up to 160F front (measured with infra gun).

6) I am overly cautious on my brake wear / 6 months old OEM brake pad melting.

Any feedbacks / suggestions are welcome
I'm not an expert but for brakes you shd look into street performance pads...better than stock.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2018, 12:53 PM   #18
rjd_F30
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gds52 View Post
Since you are in NJ, I will highly recommend you to visit this shop. Driving Impressions in Dover NJ. The owner Bob is an enthusiast and prepares track/race cars...great guy. ...he can measure your helmet size and give you some to try. He can order helmet for you and ship to ur place. I got a helmet for cheapest price. Plus he has got some more stuff...shoes n all racing gear. You can ask some questions about preparing ur car for track.
Wish you posted that earlier lol. I just ordered a Snell 2015 $119 HJC helmet. I only plan to track once every couple months, so unless it's terrible I think I will be able to deal with it.
      06-01-2018, 12:54 PM   #19
rjd_F30
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptcrunch View Post
This is what I would recommend after spending 2 days at Mid-Ohio in my 2016 340i

Absolutely have your brake fluid flushed with high temp fluid. Some track organizers require a recent flush, I know Chin did. I used high temp fluid with the standard m sport brakes on my 340i at Mid-Ohio and I had no fade during the two days. In fact I was so impressed with the braking power and lack of fade I canceled my planned big brake kit upgrade. If you don't have the m sport package, pay close attention to brake fade.

Be careful that you do not damage your front tires if you aren't bringing an extra set. It is easy to do especially if you go into a corner too hot. I did this on my 3rd run because I didn't realize how tired I was. The fronts are ok, but are not in great shape anymore.

Bring snacks and lots of water. Hydrate often. It is ok to admit when you are tired.

Be prepared to fill up mid-day and definitely at night on the way to the hotel if this is a multiple day trip.

I bought the RaceQuip helmet from Amazon that is Snell 2015 rated. I like it, but it takes a while to get used to wearing it. It isn't a great helmet, but will work for my first few track days before I want to spend $600 on a great helmet.
I might end up doing a brake flush with high temp before the track day now as per all the recommendations. What fluid do you guys recommend for the 328? I assume it is okay for street use/cold weather also?
      06-01-2018, 01:26 PM   #20
nickf30
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Wish you posted that earlier lol. I just ordered a Snell 2015 $119 HJC helmet. I only plan to track once every couple months, so unless it's terrible I think I will be able to deal with it.
Quote:
Quote:
Is it close face or full face SA2015 helmet? If I remember correctly NJ track requires full face helmet as per state law.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2018, 01:29 PM   #21
rjd_F30
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Is it close face or full face SA2015 helmet? If I remember correctly NJ track requires full face helmet as per state law.
Full face
      06-01-2018, 01:36 PM   #22
nickf30
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Full face
Where did you order the helmet? That's very good price for full face. . Cost me $219 for RaceQuip Snell SA2015 full face.
Appreciate 0