F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Thoughts On Factory Sound System
Studio RSR

06-01-2018, 12:30 PM   #1
BMW3inLV
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i

Thoughts On Factory Sound System

I have read on this forum, about people being disappointed in the factory sound system (in my case, a 2013 328i).

I have to admit, when I first turned on the stereo, I was also underwhelmed.

But I have recently discovered the audio system is a lot like the car itself.

At 30 mph, it is nothing special. But crank it up a little and is really outperforms any Honda, Toyota, GM, Ford, Chevy sound system I have ever experienced. And by quite a bit.

I noticed that I can turn the radio on, to where I can hear it just fine, and the sound is basically crap. But if I turn it up a little higher, it doesn't really get louder, it just starts filling in the mid-range and base very nicely.

I have my equalizer set on (treble = 3/4 max) (Base = 2,3 clicks from max)

Give it a try!!!

Last edited by BMW3inLV; 06-01-2018 at 01:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2018, 12:39 PM   #2
BMW3inLV
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LobB View Post
The weak link is often shite speakers. Focal make some very good plug in and play replacements.
I will check into those. I notice the speakers are quite small. Or appear to be rectangular. I have to learn more about the system. But some upgraded speakers would sound great!
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2018, 12:47 PM   #3
bad karma
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i F31 M-Sport

I've had the complete opposite experience, though I have a 2015 and your car is from 88 years in the future, so the sound system might be different.

For real though, in my 2011 335i (e90) equipped with the stock Hi-Fi sound system, I was supremely disappointed, and it got markedly worse at high volume. The system seemed "fine" although completely lacking bass when below 50% or so. But any higher than that and it was terrible, and certainly wasn't loud enough for good listening with the windows down at cruising speed.

When I upgraded to my F31, the HK system was a must due to my poor experience with Hi-Fi. A member here (glennqnyc) has some EQ settings that make marked improvements over the baseline HK EQ settings, which improve it further. The HK system is by no means perfect, but it is definitely what an upscale car like a BMW should come with stock. The Hi-Fi system would be passable in a car half the cost of my F31.

I will say that the HK system is the only system I've never felt the need to fuck with. By that I mean it's good enough stock to not really be able to justify spending money on upgrades. It maintains clarity through the full volume spectrum, has reasonable mid-bass, gets properly loud enough for windows-down cruising, and has a surprisingly decent sound-stage, particularly so with Logic7 enabled.

As always, your source material makes a big difference, as well. I'm streaming predominantly via Bluetooth using Spotify at "extreme" quality (320kbps) using the AAC codec.
      06-01-2018, 12:52 PM   #4
Sea-Tac
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2108 X3 xDrive30i

Garage List
Speakers: Terrible. Not a lot of low end. Highs and mid ranges decent.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2018, 12:59 PM   #5
tuco44
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive M Perf Edtn

The HK system in my 340i is the best I have ever had in any BMW (and better than most other makes systems as well). It's not perfect, but neither are my ears at my age. The HK system is far superior to the stock system.
      06-01-2018, 01:06 PM   #6
yoon_209
Masterchief
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' BMW M340i

tons of info on the sound system on the forums.

the weakest link in the hifi system is the amp and then the speakers.

i swapped with bavsound and it was the best investment i made

many people even say that the aftermarkets sound way better than the HK's
      06-01-2018, 01:16 PM   #7
JamesWWIII
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 440i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad karma View Post
A member here (glennqnyc) has some EQ settings that make marked improvements over the baseline HK EQ settings, which improve it further.
Found this thread for those interested:

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=954719
Appreciate 1
bad karma445.00
      06-01-2018, 01:42 PM   #8
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by LobB View Post
The weak link is often shite speakers.
I've yet to see definitive measured results that prove the superiority of any aftermarket drivers. If that kind of data existed you'd expect sellers of aftermarket drivers to prominently display it, but since they don't it probably doesn't. There are many purely subjective positive reviews, none backed up with objective data. That doesn't mean there aren't drivers that work better than stock, I'm sure there are, but sans data you really can't know what you're paying for.
Quote:
Focal make some very good plug in and play replacements.
Perhaps. Focal makes very good drivers. However, this is what a driver data sheet is supposed to look like:
https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.co...r-cone-woofer/

and this is the data sheet for the Focal plug and play, :
https://www.focal.com/sites/www.foca...tion_sheet.pdf

If I was going to make a change it would be to the amp, in favor of not only more power but also a better EQ. The seven band EQ of the H-K is a lot better than simple bass/treble, but at the very least a good EQ would have fifteen bands of adjustment.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2018, 01:52 PM   #9
Duperstar
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: G30 540

I bought the full bavsound kit, all speakers and subs and amp. I installed the amp last fall and haven't gotten around to the speakers after 9 months. I plan to do them soon, but honestly the amp improved everything so much I haven't been in a rush. Loud volume and deep bass show the speaker weaknesses, but the stock amp doesn't seem to be able to push them as well as they can perform. Start with an amp first and see how it sounds before going all in, just my 2 cents. I had stock hifi on my E60 and it was far superior to the f30, at least for my listening preferences. HTH
Appreciate 1
      06-01-2018, 01:53 PM   #10
BMW3inLV
Rep

LOL - I could actually get in trouble if anyone finds out my car is from 88 years into the future. So we will just leave it at that.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2018, 02:02 PM   #11
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duperstar View Post
I bought the full bavsound kit, all speakers and subs and amp. I installed the amp last fall and haven't gotten around to the speakers after 9 months. I plan to do them soon, but honestly the amp improved everything so much I haven't been in a rush. Loud volume and deep bass show the speaker weaknesses, but the stock amp doesn't seem to be able to push them as well as they can perform. Start with an amp first and see how it sounds before going all in, just my 2 cents. I had stock hifi on my E60 and it was far superior to the f30, at least for my listening preferences. HTH
Hell if your car has aux in even just $100 on a lossless player w a decent DAC will yield surprising improvements.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2018, 02:11 PM   #12
Tribalpinoy911
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F34

Do the bavsound you get all speakers
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2018, 02:43 PM   #13
JamesWWIII
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 440i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesWWIII View Post
Found this thread for those interested:

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=954719
Used one set of EQ settings from the guy who started that thread, and it was a surprising improvement.

I didn't really have any major issues with the HK system in my car, but this seems to sound better than the flat EQ I was running. I'll keep tinkering and listening to different types of music, but overall I'm pleased with what I'm hearing.
Appreciate 1
Wires1645.50
      06-01-2018, 05:55 PM   #14
LMK5
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 330i Imperial Bloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW3inLV View Post
I have read on this forum, about people being disappointed in the factory sound system (in my case, a 2013 328i).

At 30 mph, it is nothing special. But crank it up a little and is really outperforms any Honda, Toyota, GM, Ford, Chevy sound system I have ever experienced. And by quite a bit.

I noticed that I can turn the radio on, to where I can hear it just fine, and the sound is basically crap. But if I turn it up a little higher, it doesn't really get louder, it just starts filling in the mid-range and base very nicely.

Give it a try!!!
I had the hifi in my 2014 328i and now have the HK in my 2017 330i. The weaknesses in the BMW systems are volume and bass. Yes, both are definitely better than what I've had in Hondas and Toyotas, but not as good as the midrange system in my MY2013 Altima. I would grade the overall performance of the HK as fair. When you get in the Audi A4 with B&O or even the KIA Stinger and listen to their systems you will be disappointed in your HK immediately.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2018, 07:15 PM   #15
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMK5 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW3inLV View Post

Give it a try!!!
I had the hifi in my 2014 328i and now have the HK in my 2017 330i. The weaknesses in the BMW systems are volume and bass. Yes, both are definitely better than what I've had in Hondas and Toyotas, but not as good as the midrange system in my MY2013 Altima. I would grade the overall performance of the HK as fair. When you get in the Audi A4 with B&O or even the KIA Stinger and listen to their systems you will be disappointed in your HK immediately.
The B&O, for the same $, is lightyears better
Appreciate 2
IK6SPEED4488.00
Wires1645.50
      06-01-2018, 07:24 PM   #16
LMK5
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 330i Imperial Bloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
The B&O, for the same $, is lightyears better
One of the main differences that you see right away is the size of the speakers in the doors--much larger on the Audi. It's hard to get the low end response on the BMW system because of the smaller speakers they use all around. The plus for the BMW is more storage space in the doors.
Appreciate 1
IK6SPEED4488.00
      06-01-2018, 09:44 PM   #17
FastF30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i xdrive Msport Mbrake

Garage List
I have the stock stereo and must say when you turn it up just a couple of clicks away from max it's freaking loud and clear.... best audio I've had yet in a car... personally I usually don't play it loud but just rather barely on so I can hear the car.... Even my co-worker who has thousands in his stereo in his jeep (literally broke his windshield when turned on full blast windows up) was impressed how good the stock system sounded... the subs under the seats are key.... I personally don't see a need to upgrade but will check HK out next time..
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2018, 09:54 PM   #18
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastF30 View Post
I have the stock stereo and must say when you turn it up just a couple of clicks away from max it's freaking loud and clear.... best audio I've had yet in a car... personally I usually don't play it loud but just rather barely on so I can hear the car.... Even my co-worker who has thousands in his stereo in his jeep (literally broke his windshield when turned on full blast windows up) was impressed how good the stock system sounded... the subs under the seats are key.... I personally don't see a need to upgrade but will check HK out next time..
I say this as a public service.

Your high frequency hearing is most likely shot.

Go have your hearing tested at any of those freebee hearing places to prove me wrong.

If that’s does checks out ok, go someplace to hear what real instruments sound like live when they aren’t being clipped to hell in a BMW Hi-Fi System.
Appreciate 1
vooonoo537.00
      06-02-2018, 03:48 AM   #19
FastF30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post

Go have your hearing tested at any of those freebee hearing places to prove me wrong.

If that’s does checks out ok, go someplace to hear what real instruments sound like live when they aren’t being clipped to hell in a BMW Hi-Fi System.
On the contrary the highs are just fine... actually surprised it doesn't sound tinny... I listen to 90's grunge music mostly... Korn, Rage against the machine... some techno etc.. it's just fine... If your an audiophile that's your business... I'm past the perfection chasing stage on stereos... had a very expensive Home HK/ infinity speaker system back in the 90's/2000's... I don't see spending cash to upgrade for me anyways.. More concerned about speed/handling etc... If I was going to upgrade I'd get the Bavsound and call it a day just cause it's plug & play... but again don't see a need too...

P.s. Not saying there aren't better systems out there and would of been great if the car came with the HK (car has Mbrakes couldn't pass that up) .... just saying the stock stereo sounds pretty good for being a stock system...

Last edited by FastF30; 06-02-2018 at 04:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2018, 10:19 AM   #20
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastF30 View Post
Quote:

If that's does checks out ok, go someplace to hear what real instruments sound like live when they aren't being clipped to hell in a BMW Hi-Fi System.
On the contrary the highs are just fine... actually surprised it doesn't sound tinny... I listen to 90's grunge music mostly... Korn, Rage against the machine... some techno etc.. it's just fine... If your an audiophile that's your business... I'm past the perfection chasing stage on stereos... had a very expensive Home HK/ infinity speaker system back in the 90's/2000's... I don't see spending cash to upgrade for me anyways.. More concerned about speed/handling etc... If I was going to upgrade I'd get the Bavsound and call it a day just cause it's plug & play... but again don't see a need too...

P.s. Not saying there aren't better systems out there and would of been great if the car came with the HK (car has Mbrakes couldn't pass that up) .... just saying the stock stereo sounds pretty good for being a stock system...
So your source material is distorted already.

Got it.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2018, 10:34 AM   #21
Beek
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Most folks crazy.

Guess I'll have to try the radio again, have not felt the need to use it since I got my MPPSK installed.
FastF30521.00
CalCarNut1060.50
vooonoo537.00
      06-02-2018, 12:53 PM   #22
FastF30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
So your source material is distorted already.

Got it.
Lol... yea... it gets me in the mood... One thing I must say... The system did seem lacking in full filling the cabin at moderate levels... so I looked back in the trunk and to my suspicion sure enough there were no rear-shelf speakers... but in the end I'm not anal-retentive enough about it that I'll spend money on it...
Appreciate 0