BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis Brake wear on 530e?

06-04-2018, 06:49 AM   #1
drivethemachine
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 530e

Brake wear on 530e?

I realize this model is too new to have a lot of data about brake wear.... but wondering how brake pads and rotors are holding up long term?
My theory is that they should last for more miles than a regular gas powered car due to the electric re-gen systems.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2018, 08:46 AM   #2
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

That is my thought as well. In my previous Prius, which I passed on to my son, the car now has somewhere north of 60K miles with no indication of pad wear.

I actually try to occasionally do a hard brake just to clean the rotors.

It may depend, in part, on how you drive. I do drive with a lead foot but if I see a traffic light turning red ahead of me, and no one is behind me, I will let the regen do the braking. Otherwise, I drive it like I hate it.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2018, 02:33 AM   #3
ADS-UK
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 - 530d M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by drivethemachine View Post
I realize this model is too new to have a lot of data about brake wear.... but wondering how brake pads and rotors are holding up long term?
My theory is that they should last for more miles than a regular gas powered car due to the electric re-gen systems.
BMW has had brake regeneration across the models for ages. Not something specific for hybrids or electrics.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2018, 07:21 AM   #4
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADS-UK View Post
BMW has had brake regeneration across the models for ages. Not something specific for hybrids or electrics.
True but the regen for non PHEVs or non BEVs is much more limited. It makes the car more efficient by charging the regular battery through braking energy.

The regeneration on the PHEVs or BEVs is much more intense. So...while conceptually they are similar, the regen in the 530e is much greater than in the ICE cars and provides a very different braking experience, one not liked by many, at least when they first try one.
Appreciate 0