BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-18-2018, 10:47 AM   #1
JSY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X3 M40i

Garage List
Sunlight bleed through sunroof curtain

One thing I guess needed to be sacrificed for the bigger panoramic sunroof was that the curtain is no longer a solid cover as it was on my F25, but rather a cloth curtain. I don't know how I feel about the curtain and for the most part, I hadn't really noticed it except when I poke at it... but for the first time I notice that the sun can and will bleed through. The pic makes it look worse then it really is, but nevertheless you can see the sun behind the curtain. I would have preferred something completely opaque if it had to be cloth.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-18-2018, 11:10 AM   #2
darrylo
Head Idiot
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 G01 X3 x30i

I knew about that before buying my X3, and. yes, it can be an issue. When it's hot, you can just feel the heat streaming in. I'm going to see if I can get some ceramic tint installed there.
Appreciate 1
JSY578.00
      06-18-2018, 01:41 PM   #3
yllwwgn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i
Location: Milky Way, Earth, North America, Arizona more specifically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrylo View Post
I knew about that before buying my X3, and. yes, it can be an issue. When it's hot, you can just feel the heat streaming in. I'm going to see if I can get some ceramic tint installed there.
One option is also to drive in a full beekeeper's outfit, that will keep the sun out. That plus in case there's ever a killer bee/wasp attack... it's a 2-for-1.
Appreciate 2
      06-18-2018, 03:46 PM   #4
alexc93
Colonel
Rep
Drives: na

Quote:
I have heard tinting sunroofs can cause them to explode...something to do with the heat building up between the glass and the tint. Used to happen over on the 1er forum and the e92 forum I believe..but just a warning! Give that a google before you proceed.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2018, 07:07 PM   #5
JSY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
I really hadn't noticed it until it really started to get warm here. I've only had the car through colder weather and it's not been very hot up in the northeast but this weekend was the first time I ever really noticed it.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2018, 01:35 AM   #6
darrylo
Head Idiot
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexc93 View Post
I have heard tinting sunroofs can cause them to explode...something to do with the heat building up between the glass and the tint. Used to happen over on the 1er forum and the e92 forum I believe..but just a warning! Give that a google before you proceed.
Well, there are certainly a few stories on "exploding tinted sunroofs", but the sad fact is that there seems to be a lot of untinted sunroof that explode, too. If you search for "exploding tinted sunroof", you'll see a lot more stories about regular exploding sunroofs, than tinted ones (and exploding sunroofs -- both tinted and untinted -- seem to be on the rise, too).

I figure my chances of an exploding moonroof is about the same, tinted or untinted, and so I think I'll get mine tinted. It'll help a bit with the heat and, should it explode, the tint may help to keep some of the glass from falling inwards.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2018, 10:36 AM   #7
Hendoo
Noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: Shopping for X3 or X5

Quote:
Well, there are certainly a few stories on "exploding tinted sunroofs", but the sad fact is that there seems to be a lot of untinted sunroof that explode, too. If you search for "exploding tinted sunroof", you'll see a lot more stories about regular exploding sunroofs, than tinted ones (and exploding sunroofs -- both tinted and untinted -- seem to be on the rise, too).

I figure my chances of an exploding moonroof is about the same, tinted or untinted, and so I think I'll get mine tinted. It'll help a bit with the heat and, should it explode, the tint may help to keep some of the glass from falling inwards.
Concur. I wonder if the “blame the tint” idea came from dealers/manufacturers that didn’t want to face up to the issue.
Appreciate 1
Alias1431795.00
      06-19-2018, 11:08 AM   #8
darrylo
Head Idiot
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendoo View Post
Concur. I wonder if the “blame the tint” idea came from dealers/manufacturers that didn’t want to face up to the issue.
Supposedly, some of the first sunroofs to explode (back in the 80s??) were caused by excessive chassis flex, but the manufacturer blamed them on the tint. Ever since then, people think that tint causes exploding sunroofs. Unfortunately, I can't find a source for this, and so it might be another urban legend.

However, I'm not saying that sunroofs don't explode. If anything, exploding sunroofs seem to be happening more often. It's just that the reason seems unrelated to tint. If you do a google search, you can find articles like this: https://www.consumerreports.org/car-...nger-overhead/
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2018, 11:22 AM   #9
alexc93
Colonel
Rep
Drives: na

Quote:

Interesting, I had honestly never really heard of it other than the tinted ones but i'll take your word. I do agree with you though, I much prefer a solid cover. We have this "visor style cover" in our Range Rover as well as Audi and it is just not the same feeling.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2018, 12:14 PM   #10
MdW86
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw f30 320i 2012

Currently driving an 5 touring (g31). It also has some light bleeding, but certainly not as much as the picture. Even when its 32 degrees celcius here, you wont notice any bleeding or heat untill you look up.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2019, 05:21 PM   #11
Hispeed4fun
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5

Anyone else feeling the heat from the sunroof?
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2019, 08:47 PM   #12
ElanMike
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X3 M440i (soon)

I just ordered a X3 M40i to replace my Fpace. It had a tinted panoramic roof so I asked dealer to tint the one on the X3.they refused saying it makes them explode. I’m not sure I believe it either.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2019, 02:28 AM   #13
PerthBMW
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Garage List
When I test drove the X3 M40i down here in Perth - Western Australia, it was a very hot day (we get 40+ in summer) I could feel the heat coming through with the shade closed. My head was actually getting hot and, like in the picture, you could see the sun very clearly through it.

Based on that I didn't order the sunroof and Im very glad I didn't...heard so many stories of people regretting it because of the heat.

If you live in a hot climate don't get the sunroof...
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2019, 02:53 AM   #14
The Dutch Joe
Second Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 20i M-Sport (G01)

Exactly the reason why I didn't chose this option.
Had a car once with sunfroof, and I didn't like it at all...

Too much heat coming from this window. Even when it isn't that hot outside. It's just the sunbeams, which create the uncomfortable heat.
Even in the Netherlands
      05-14-2019, 04:08 AM   #15
Slashers 28th/61st
Stumpy
England
Rep
Drives: X3 30d M Sport

I chose not to have the sunroof also .....albeit different reasons, as I have never been a fan of them after reading bad reviews over the years of all manufacturers faults, of one thing or another.

Last edited by Slashers 28th/61st; 05-14-2019 at 04:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2019, 07:23 AM   #16
Tchgrif
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X4 M40i

here you go https://www.amazon.com/VIVO-Professi...gateway&sr=8-4
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2019, 10:16 AM   #17
TXSchnee
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 XM

I live in Central TX, so very hot in the summer. I have ceramic tint on all windows (except windshield) and the sunroof. My SA at the dealer actually recommended the tint. Surprised at how some dealers are refusing this... Also, if you hate this level of sun bleed through, never test drive/buy a Q7 or SQ5, they have small holes in the fabric that let sun through even more.
2020 Porsche Cayenne E Hybrid (sold)
2018 X3 M40i (sold)
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2019, 10:53 AM   #18
lo_cheng
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40i

I tint my sunroof with 70% ceramic tint, along with my tailgate window and rear window.
I wish I went for 35% or even 20% on sunroof.

Oh well, too late.
      05-28-2019, 12:36 PM   #19
david27
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW xDrive 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dutch Joe View Post

Too much heat coming from this window. Even when it isn't that hot outside. It's just the sunbeams, which create the uncomfortable heat.
Even in the Netherlands
In the U.S. the panoramic moonroof comes bundled with Comfort Access as part of the Convenience Package for the X3 30i. Moonroof cannot be deleted unless M Sport is chosen. Were you able to omit the moon roof and still get comfort access? Perhaps these features are bundled differently in Europe.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2019, 01:14 PM   #20
SteveX3M40i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW iX40MSport

Hi,
Living in Abu Dhabi - we regularly see 50 degrees centigrade and more in the summer months.
All our cars had tints applied to the sunroof - without any problems.
Most cars are tinted here (maximum allowed is 50% tint on side windows)
Never heard of any exploding sunroofs!
Cheers
Steve

2019 X3M40i - gone!
2023 iX40MSport
Appreciate 2
Alias1431795.00
Flippco1150.50
      05-28-2019, 01:48 PM   #21
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 X3 28i (N52)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerthBMW View Post
When I test drove the X3 M40i down here in Perth - Western Australia, it was a very hot day (we get 40+ in summer) I could feel the heat coming through with the shade closed. My head was actually getting hot and, like in the picture, you could see the sun very clearly through it.

Based on that I didn't order the sunroof and Im very glad I didn't...heard so many stories of people regretting it because of the heat.

If you live in a hot climate don't get the sunroof...
Good recommendation. The used F25 I bought a year ago has no sunroof, first car I've owned in 15 years that has no roof- I don't miss the sliding roof at all, I rarely opened the roof on my previous car's. And, one less thing to malfunction.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2019, 03:24 PM   #22
The Dutch Joe
Second Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 20i M-Sport (G01)

Quote:
Originally Posted by david27 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dutch Joe View Post

Even in the Netherlands
In the U.S. the panoramic moonroof comes bundled with Comfort Access as part of the Convenience Package for the X3 30i. Moonroof cannot be deleted unless M Sport is chosen. Were you able to omit the moon roof and still get comfort access? Perhaps these features are bundled differently in Europe.
Not sure.. Haven't looked at those options..
But 'our' configurator is very extensive.. so my guess is it would be possible.