BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-18-2018, 04:42 PM   #1
tenflyer
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X3 x30i

blind spot behavior

This is possibly a dumb question, or comment I guess but... When I pass a car, I was expecting the blind spot warning to activate once the car I pass, ends up in the blind spot area. I swear my previous 2 cars did this, at least I'm pretty sure they did but on the X3 I'm not always getting the warning.

I know this isn't necessary since if I'm passing the car I obviously know its there. It's just something I noticed the other day and am curious what others think?
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2018, 05:22 PM   #2
RocketRomeo
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Mine does light up as I pass someone
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2018, 07:11 PM   #3
JSY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenflyer View Post
This is possibly a dumb question, or comment I guess but... When I pass a car, I was expecting the blind spot warning to activate once the car I pass, ends up in the blind spot area. I swear my previous 2 cars did this, at least I'm pretty sure they did but on the X3 I'm not always getting the warning.

I know this isn't necessary since if I'm passing the car I obviously know its there. It's just something I noticed the other day and am curious what others think?
I experience the same. It doesn't always happen when you're passing someone. It was the same way with my last X3, too. I think it has something to do with the speed. If you are passing someone really fast, then I don't think it comes on but it will if you're slower.. or something like that.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2018, 07:36 PM   #4
tenflyer
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X3 x30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSY View Post
I experience the same. It doesn't always happen when you're passing someone. It was the same way with my last X3, too. I think it has something to do with the speed. If you are passing someone really fast, then I don't think it comes on but it will if you're slower.. or something like that.
I think you may be right. I’m only a few weeks in with this, but now that you mention it I believe it does depend on speed. I’ll try to pay more attention tomorrow and verify.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2018, 08:10 PM   #5
bmtespar
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 X3 30i, 18 230iX Vert

I think it is related to the momentum you are passing and/or the vehicle is passing you. The blindspot monitor uses radar sensors in the bumpers and will also warn you if someone is not directly in your blindspot but are approaching h quickly enough they could cause a collision.
Appreciate 0