BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-21-2018, 10:35 PM   #1
Dillinger
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Low pressure indicator came on this morning. After inspection, noticed a screw in the rear tire tread. (Not the sidewall) It's a Pirelli PZero 275/40/20 106W. I did not buy the BMW road hazard insurance but heard I may have a warranty directly through Pirelli?? The tire is 5 months old with 6k miles. Any advice? Thanks!

EDIT: it was a RFT and was repaired successfully today.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2018, 11:26 PM   #2
darrylo
Head Idiot
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 G01 X3 x30i

Yes (for runflats), but there are conditions. See the warranty info at: https://www.pirelli.com/tires/en-us/.../tire-warranty (look under "Special Warranty Information").
Appreciate 2
Sea-Tac1455.00
      06-22-2018, 09:56 AM   #3
Sea-Tac
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2108 X3 xDrive30i

Garage List
Did you check to see if the puncture is repairable?
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2018, 06:41 PM   #4
Yobyot
Major
Rep
Drives: MY19 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea-Tac View Post
Did you check to see if the puncture is repairable?
We picked up a nail at 900 miles in one of our 19" Bridgestone Duelers.

This is my third BMW with run-flat tires. I've never found a shop (one that I'd trust) that would repair a run-flat. It's not that it isn't repairable. It's that no reputable shop wants the risk that you destroyed the tire getting it to the shop by going too fast and/or too far on the sidewalls while deflated.

I've gotten to the point where I am resigned to the safety, convenience (and now, with these Bridgestones) performance and comfort on the one hand and the cost and limited availability on the other.

The bad news: the tire cost $295 to replace. The good news? The dealer gave me a cool G01 loaner (I like mine better) and didn't charge me labor.

This car is my wife's daily driver -- and she works all hours at a hospital 30 miles from here. I think RFTs are a fantastic safety feature for her -- but a price.
Produced: 2018-08-15; Delivered 2018-08-22
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2018, 06:48 PM   #5
Sea-Tac
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yobyot View Post
We picked up a nail at 900 miles in one of our 19" Bridgestone Duelers.

This is my third BMW with run-flat tires. I've never found a shop (one that I'd trust) that would repair a run-flat. It's not that it isn't repairable. It's that no reputable shop wants the risk that you destroyed the tire getting it to the shop by going too fast and/or too far on the sidewalls while deflated.

I've gotten to the point where I am resigned to the safety, convenience (and now, with these Bridgestones) performance and comfort on the one hand and the cost and limited availability on the other.

The bad news: the tire cost $295 to replace. The good news? The dealer gave me a cool G01 loaner (I like mine better) and didn't charge me labor.

This car is my wife's daily driver -- and she works all hours at a hospital 30 miles from here. I think RFTs are a fantastic safety feature for her -- but a price.
Thanks...and I see your point.

I got a nail in the side wall. The run flat failed. Had to be towed 160 miles. BMW said I had to replace two tires because the opposing tire had 10,000 miles on it and the tread difference was significant to make a difference in the way the car handled. Total rip off.

When I ordered my new X3 a few months back I made sure to have it set up with regular radials and a spare.

As far as I am concerned run flats are a total scam.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2018, 07:03 PM   #6
Yobyot
Major
Rep
Drives: MY19 X3 M40i

Quote:

I got a nail in the side wall. The run flat failed. Had to be towed 160 miles. BMW said I had to replace two tires because the opposing tire had 10,000 miles on it and the tread difference was significant to make a difference in the way the car handled. Total rip off.

When I ordered my new X3 a few months back I made sure to have it set up with regular radials and a spare.

Clearly, we disagree.

In consulting, as you may know, one of the ways to deal with a problem client is to charge more until they decide to walk.

I think this is what the designers had in mind with the G01 spare tire. Needing to respond to the demands of buyers like you, they had to offer something. But they made it so ugly, so unpalatable that most buyers would "get the message": BMWs are designed for RFTs.

For me, living with that ugly hump and uneven load floor caused by the spare in the G01 for five or six years is much worse than the cost of replacing RFTs. Plus, I see real value in RFTs. I've never had one fail, though. I have had three instances in which they saved my bacon.
Produced: 2018-08-15; Delivered 2018-08-22
Appreciate 1
Sea-Tac1455.00
      06-22-2018, 07:46 PM   #7
Sea-Tac
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yobyot View Post
Clearly, we disagree.

In consulting, as you may know, one of the ways to deal with a problem client is to charge more until they decide to walk.

I think this is what the designers had in mind with the G01 spare tire. Needing to respond to the demands of buyers like you, they had to offer something. But they made it so ugly, so unpalatable that most buyers would "get the message": BMWs are designed for RFTs.

For me, living with that ugly hump and uneven load floor caused by the spare in the G01 for five or six years is much worse than the cost of replacing RFTs. Plus, I see real value in RFTs. I've never had one fail, though. I have had three instances in which they saved my bacon.
I hear what you are saying. Its a matter of preference. What I find interesting though, is that RF's really aren't used a lot by other car makers. Donuts are still pretty common. In the Porsche you get nothing. Not even a roadside repair kit. I do carry a small, powerful inflator with a flat repair kit...all useless if you get side walled. Maybe I should carry a rosary too.

As far as the G01 is concerned, yep there is a three inch up level in the floor platform which I don't notice...I mean I know its there but it really hasn't been off putting.

I just feel better knowing I can do something should a puncture occur.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2018, 07:48 PM   #8
Hendoo
Noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: Shopping for X3 or X5

Quote:

I share your dislike of run flats, although I think of it more as a very poor design to make buyers choose between run flats and the raised rear cargo floor.

If it were wifey's car, or if I were unwilling or unable to change a tire I might feel differently.

But if I buy an X3 it will be a traveling car, and getting a flat 50 miles East of Sheepshit Nevada at 3AM with no cellular coverage isn’t a fun thought.

Oh well. Every car choice involves choices.

I just wish BMW had left this choice to me, instead of making it for me.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2018, 07:55 PM   #9
Sea-Tac
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendoo View Post
I share your dislike of run flats, although I think of it more as a very poor design to make buyers choose between run flats and the raised rear cargo floor.

If it were wifey's car, or if I were unwilling or unable to change a tire I might feel differently.

But if I buy an X3 it will be a traveling car, and getting a flat 50 miles East of Sheepshit Nevadaat 3AM with no cellular coverage isn’t a fun thought.

Oh well. Every car choice involves choices.

I just wish BMW had left this choice to me, instead of making it for me.
It was an incredibly frustrating experience to be in the middle of no-where and to get a flat. Granted, it was a sidewall puncture which in RF's or regulars is the end of the tire.

Its the false sense of security that BMW promotes in their ads that I don't like. Not all flats are equal. RF's work very well in certain type of flat conditions but not all and if you are stuck in the Sheepshit Nevada, as you say, well, you are just plain out of luck.

I still believe the work really well, I'm just not the type of person to relinquish that level of concern and not being able to take remedial action on my own...or at least attempt to do so.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2018, 09:06 PM   #10
Dillinger
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

I got it repaired at tire shop nearby my house. In and out in 45 minutes. No charge. Today was a good day. It was a Run Flat btw. They said the nail went straight into the tread, no serious damage, nothing on the sidewall. Plug and patch and I was on my way.

Also FYI they said the exact tire I had was discontinued. Find that hard to believe, but I didn't really question it since they made the repair. Who knows tho.
Appreciate 0