BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > Regional Forums > CANADA > Map updates?

06-24-2018, 05:16 PM   #1
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Map updates?

Anywhere we can get map updates here in Canada? ConnectedDrive portal here seems to show nothing useful whatsoever except for which services you're enrolled with.
      06-25-2018, 08:24 AM   #2
alscks0414
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: MY18 X3 M40i, MY18 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
Anywhere we can get map updates here in Canada? ConnectedDrive portal here seems to show nothing useful whatsoever except for which services you're enrolled with.
Dealers will do it for you, charging about $200 hahaha.

But you can easily do it yourself. All you need is USB drive + downloaded file.

There are tons of videos and files online you can search.

Some file providers do charge you $20-$60, and you can also find it over official shopbmwusa website as well. (Expensive) https://www.shopbmwusa.com/PRODUCT/4...EM-2016-UPDATE
Some do offer free updated file, but I do not know if they can be trusted..
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2018, 10:25 AM   #3
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

I get that there are a lot of videos out there but as you said the prices are all over the place and none of them seem that reliable. Any idea which ones are legit?
      06-25-2018, 10:48 AM   #4
alscks0414
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: MY18 X3 M40i, MY18 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
I get that there are a lot of videos out there but as you said the prices are all over the place and none of them seem that reliable. Any idea which ones are legit?
One sold on shopbmwusa.com should be legit.
If you are worried and don't mind spend $200 or so, dealer would be most reliable option. There are mobile installers you can find kijiji or something, but cannot say if it is 100% reliable.
Appreciate 1
stefan2349.50
      06-25-2018, 10:59 AM   #5
tux2005
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

I've gotten map updates over the air, I'm pretty sure I remember seeing a message at one point saying it was going to install so it wanted confirmation to do it then since it could take a few minutes.

But my understanding from when I had a 2014 228i, at that time the free map OTA map updates were not included so the options were:
1. Buy updates from BMW (expensive)
2. Buy update from random people online (expensive and risky?)
3. Find tools to install updates yourself.

For step 2 & 3 there were usually 3 steps involved:
1. Find the maps and download them, they were usually around 20-25GB.
2. Get an FSC code for the given maps and your vehicle.
3. Install the updates (unzip files, place on USB key, plug-in, wait for iDrive to detect updates, get prompted for FSC code, struggle to get FSC inputted correctly with iDrive, wait for maps to install).

I think in 2015 BMW started including the OTA updates for free, apparently the way this worked was via a special FSC code which was not coded to the map version + car but just the car*. But the FSC code was also preset on the cars, so people who qualified for free OTA updates could still download the full maps, unzip them and just plug in the USB key and the maps would install without prompting for the FSC code. I would imagine the same should be true for all M2s.

*: apparently anyone could go also generate the map version agnostic FSC code but it was considered riskier that a dealer might see the FSC code, realize you shouldn't have it and then have your car blacklisted. I stuck with map version specific FSC codes.
Appreciate 1
stefan2349.50