THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics B58 (M240i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Exhaust butterfly valve rattle.

06-26-2018, 03:15 AM   #1
ssrriivv
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M240i xDrive coupe

Exhaust butterfly valve rattle.

Does anyone have a solution or fix to the exhaust making a tinny screech or sometimes rattle? I have had the valve replaced once already. Fixed the problem for about 15000 miles. But now it's back. The dealer Foreman is deaf and says he can't hear anything. Sometimes I get a pulsing vibration through the entire car during idle. Same thing happened before the first valve was replaced. I'm considering picking up m performance exhaust but I really like the ability to turn off the overrun pops in comfort mode. (my understanding is the m performance one doesn't have the valve).
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2018, 05:02 AM   #2
Wozich
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 GO1 X3 30d LCI

The rattle of the exhaust is only present in cold start? And it sounds like two pieces of metal rattling together? If so, it is a known problem (atleast here in Europe) for the M240i/M140i. The entire exhaust has to be replaced. I have the same problem with my M240i. Dealer already confirmed replacing the exhaust for free.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2018, 03:18 PM   #3
zikolai
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: M240xi Estoril Blue

It's really strange and I can't explain it but I had this issue until I installed the Dinan midpipe. Doesn't make any sense since I kept the stock muffler with the valve. So here's your solution, sounds amazing too

Oh and the valve is not what is enabling / disabling the pops and burbles... its the riding mode switch. So you can have a full exhaust and it will still be more quiet in normal mode vs sport mode.
Appreciate 0