BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-28-2018, 11:42 AM   #1
Aaaaaaaaa
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: The other M3

Appreciate 0
      06-28-2018, 11:57 AM   #2
abcsoup
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X7 M60i, X3 M40i

That area shows the lane keep assist and adaptive cruise control information. You'll see the side lane markings light up green if you have lane keep assist on, and the adaptive cruise distance bars will show along with the car in front of you.

Here is a video showing what's there (shot on a 5 or 7 series):
Appreciate 1
Aaaaaaaaa7559.00
      06-28-2018, 11:59 AM   #3
bmtespar
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 X3 30i, 18 230iX Vert

The lanes get grey or green highlights and green bars pop up indicating the distance you’ve set for adaptive cruise. Also a picture of the back end of a 5 series pops up once your radar detects a car. And a steering wheel pops up in grey when and then green when lane keep assist is working.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2018, 12:02 PM   #4
Aaaaaaaaa
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Hmm I guess all mine do then is change color with the different driving modes whoopdedoo
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2018, 12:03 PM   #5
kevinzhao860
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by abcsoup View Post
That area shows the lane keep assist and adaptive cruise control information. You'll see the side lane markings light up green if you have lane keep assist on, and the adaptive cruise distance bars will show along with the car in front of you.

Here is a video showing what's there (shot on a 5 or 7 series):
I do not have the driver assistant plus package, but I have the driver assistance and executive. I have nothing shown on this section of my instrument cluster even when my hands are off the wheels. Does this mean my steering wheel is in the recall list?
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2018, 12:08 PM   #6
abcsoup
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinzhao860 View Post
I do not have the driver assistant plus package, but I have the driver assistance and executive. I have nothing shown on this section of my instrument cluster even when my hands are off the wheels. Does this mean my steering wheel is in the recall list?
Only the Driver Assistance Plus package has the lane keep assist and adaptive cruise functions, so you won't see this display information unless you have that package. Also, the steering wheel hands detection is only active when lane keep assist is on; if it is off, then the steering wheel detection is off as well.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2018, 12:11 PM   #7
kevinzhao860
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Only the Driver Assistance Plus package has the lane keep assist and adaptive cruise functions, so you won't see this display information unless you have that package. Also, the steering wheel hands detection is only active when lane keep assist is on; if it is off, then the steering wheel detection is off as well.
Thanks. I am pretty sure I have the lane keep assist on but I still do not have that animation of hands off the wheel.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2018, 12:18 PM   #8
abcsoup
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Thanks. I am pretty sure I have the lane keep assist on but I still do not have that animation of hands off the wheel.
Ah, just to clarify, the lane departure warning is different than the lane keep assist. The lane departure warning will vibrate the steering wheel when you veer out of your lane without using blinkers, while the lane keep assist actually steers the car for you by keeping you in the lane lines. I'm pretty sure you're referring to the lane departure warning instead.

Lots of BMW tech terms to keep track of these days!
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2018, 12:35 PM   #9
bmtespar
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 X3 30i, 18 230iX Vert

The big difference between driver assistance and driver assistance plus is that the system goes from being passive, offering a warning, to being active, actually intervening with some sort of corrective measure. That is the easiest way I try explain it to people.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2018, 01:02 PM   #10
Wanna3
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 xDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pheerIx View Post
I don't have the full digital dash or Drivers Assist. What's supposed to display on the area between what looks like lane markings?
If you don't have driver assist you can still control the information displayed there by pressing the button on the end of the turn signal lever. One option is to display nothing, which it seems yours is set to. Odometer, mileage meter, and compass are other options. Navigation info too if you have navigation.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2018, 01:17 PM   #11
Aaaaaaaaa
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanna3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pheerIx View Post
I don't have the full digital dash or Drivers Assist. What's supposed to display on the area between what looks like lane markings?
If you don't have driver assist you can still control the information displayed there by pressing the button on the end of the turn signal lever. One option is to display nothing, which it seems yours is set to. Odometer, mileage meter, and compass are other options. Navigation info too if you have navigation.
I'm referring to the area between to the two slanted lines above the trip computer and below the M40i logo.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2018, 01:27 PM   #12
kevinzhao860
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Ah, just to clarify, the lane departure warning is different than the lane keep assist. The lane departure warning will vibrate the steering wheel when you veer out of your lane without using blinkers, while the lane keep assist actually steers the car for you by keeping you in the lane lines. I'm pretty sure you're referring to the lane departure warning instead.

Lots of BMW tech terms to keep track of these days!

Just checked my window sticker, yes I have the lane departure warning. So what is suppose to show in the two grey lines just under the M40i logo for me?
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2018, 02:50 PM   #13
abcsoup
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Just checked my window sticker, yes I have the lane departure warning. So what is suppose to show in the two grey lines just under the M40i logo for me?
Nothing will show up there; that area is just for the lane keep assist and adaptive cruise control information. Lane departure warning will show a small icon in green on the dash when it is active.
Appreciate 0