BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-29-2018, 08:11 AM   #1
Lux700
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d - Black Sapphire

Comfort Access

I’m aware that there are issues regarding the comfort access and key-code/signal grabbers, which is a concern regarding the thefts of these types of vehicles. Does anyone know if, when you have the comfort package, can the comfort access be deactivated via the idrive? The only other way is to omit it from the options.

TIA
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2018, 09:05 AM   #2
pcmike
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

Huh? What issues are you talking about? Please share a link.

Fully Loaded
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2018, 09:50 AM   #3
jbtco
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Electronic devices are apparently available which allow key signal to be boosted to make car vulnerable eg if key in house one thief will put device against window which picks up key signal and boosts it so that accomplice can open and start car.

Not heard much about this for a while but we’re lots of stories fairly recently
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2018, 10:27 AM   #4
tenflyer
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X3 x30i

Yeah thefts like this have happened a lot recently in our area. As a matter of fact, a new X5 was stolen this way a block from me, about a week before I took delivery of my X3. Neighbor had it on video and everything, it was so easy for them to drive it away. No more smashing windows, etc. What we do now is use those Faraday key fob bags, just something we had to get used to.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2018, 10:46 AM   #5
MarkyM
Major
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Comfort Access

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenflyer View Post
Yeah thefts like this have happened a lot recently in our area. As a matter of fact, a new X5 was stolen this way a block from me, about a week before I took delivery of my X3. Neighbor had it on video and everything, it was so easy for them to drive it away. No more smashing windows, etc. What we do now is use those Faraday key fob bags, just something we had to get used to.
Have you tested your faraday bag next to car with key in? I heard that a lot don't work and if you buy online they have a address with a known keyless car nearby

Seriously though don't think it's a big issue, car theft is generally on the decline, cars will always be stolen yes one way or another

X5 has been the number one stolen car probably since it's was launched but it is very rare to find one with comfort access in UK as no models have it as standard, other cars such as Range Rovers are generally stolen to order and tend to come with comfort access as standard so I think a lot of assumptions are made
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2018, 11:21 AM   #6
tenflyer
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X3 x30i

Yeah we tested it, made sure the ones we bought had good reviews, etc. You can't even start the car if you sit inside of the car itself having the key still in the faraday bag. I have read that over time they can lose their effectiveness. We just happened to have enough cases of this happening so close to us we figured why not drop a couple bucks to help prevent it (I wouldn't have cared if the car I had before the X3 was stolen though).
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2018, 11:30 AM   #7
Lux700
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

We've had a quite a few reports in my area. I'm afraid it can be a bit TOWIE around here and there are lots of big houses with nice cars sat on their drives each night. There's not even a need to break into the house to nick the keys from the table in the hall anymore! Who's leaving their keys in places like that anyway?

I suppose with the electronic grabbers, the same could happen if you are out somewhere in pub, sports club or other similar place. I'm quite happy to press a button on a key fob to open my car, so might remove the comfort package and spec, folding mirrors, acoustic glazing, adjustable rear seat, extended storage separately and leave off the comfort access. It actually works out cheaper than the pack by a tad over £200.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2018, 06:40 AM   #8
swestland85
Second Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW G01 + F21

Garage List
All cars produced from march have an updated comfort access system, or the key. The key stops remitting the signal if it's not being moved for a few minutes. I guess this stops the possibility that they can boost your signal when your key is near the front-door. As the key isn't transmitting any signal anymore. You can test it your self, put the key next to your car, see if it will open/close. Leave the key (don't move it) and try again in 5-10 minutes, you will notice it doesn't open anymore as the key isn't transmitting anything. Pick up the key and open the door, now the door will open again.

In Europe there has been a diagnostic code which can the dealer can re-program your car, get you new keys and they pay 70% of the work. Strange I didn't hear about it before but saw it on a german BMW forum.
Quote:
Vehicles produced before 03/2018 can benefit from these FFBs with be retrofitted to the sensor.

settlement:

About the below mentioned diagnostic number can only the spare parts
(Radio remote control or display key) are billed.
BMW takes over 70% of the total costs
(Differences can arise country-specific)
The rest (about 30%), working hours and programming will not be refunded.
The settlement and billing has under the valid warranty conditions the mentioned diagnostic number.

Diagnostic number: 99 99 01 25 00

This diagnostic number is not in the official diagnostic catalog, but in the system created. Thus, a warranty statement is possible.

The cost share for the customer is calculated as follows:

Approximately 30% of the part price per radio remote control / display key
+ Workload Replace key / Lock key
+ Programming / coding of the vehicle
https://www.motor-talk.de/forum/-key...45.html?page=1
Previous cars: E91 330d High Executive, Sapphire Black | F21 120i M Sport, Sapphire Black | F31 320dA Efficient Dynamics Edition, High Executive, Imperialblue, Luxury Line, Style 392 17" | E90 325i Montego blue, saddelbrown leather, V-style 285 17" rims
Appreciate 8
MarkyM381.50
comber328.00
Lux700551.00
ando2000.50
MechX3M40i1006.00
      09-07-2018, 07:35 AM   #9
nogren
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: G01 30d

Quote:
Originally Posted by swestland85 View Post
All cars produced from march have an updated comfort access system, or the key. The key stops remitting the signal if it's not being moved for a few minutes. I guess this stops the possibility that they can boost your signal when your key is near the front-door. As the key isn't transmitting any signal anymore. You can test it your self, put the key next to your car, see if it will open/close. Leave the key (don't move it) and try again in 5-10 minutes, you will notice it doesn't open anymore as the key isn't transmitting anything. Pick up the key and open the door, now the door will open again.

In Europe there has been a diagnostic code which can the dealer can re-program your car, get you new keys and they pay 70% of the work. Strange I didn't hear about it before but saw it on a german BMW forum.
Thanks!
Too bad I didn't order Comfort Access, due to this specific reason. Now it seems like I should have.. :-(

/n
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2018, 07:44 AM   #10
MarkyM
Major
Rep

Quote:

Quote:
Vehicles produced before 03/2018 can benefit from these FFBs with be retrofitted to the sensor.

settlement:

About the below mentioned diagnostic number can only the spare parts
(Radio remote control or display key) are billed.
BMW takes over 70% of the total costs
(Differences can arise country-specific)
The rest (about 30%), working hours and programming will not be refunded.
The settlement and billing has under the valid warranty conditions the mentioned diagnostic number.

Diagnostic number: 99 99 01 25 00

This diagnostic number is not in the official diagnostic catalog, but in the system created. Thus, a warranty statement is possible.

The cost share for the customer is calculated as follows:

Approximately 30% of the part price per radio remote control / display key
+ Workload Replace key / Lock key
+ Programming / coding of the vehicle
That's brilliant, a nice find, I wonder why they haven't made a big thing about promoting this?

Just tested on my car and it works exactly as you say, I rested key on top of door handle and could unlock and lock car as usual, left it alone for 5 minutes and as you say it wouldn't work until I moved the key

My car was built early April this year

Thanks for pointing this out
Appreciate 2
      09-07-2018, 07:59 AM   #11
swestland85
Second Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW G01 + F21

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nogren View Post
Thanks!
Too bad I didn't order Comfort Access, due to this specific reason. Now it seems like I should have.. :-(

/n
I think you should've
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyM View Post
That's brilliant, a nice find, I wonder why they haven't made a big thing about promoting this?

Just tested on my car and it works exactly as you say, I rested key on top of door handle and could unlock and lock car as usual, left it alone for 5 minutes and as you say it wouldn't work until I moved the key

Good to hear it works! I also don't understand why they didn't promote this, for many people this was the reason they didn't choose to spec Comfort Access. But maybe this doesn't solve all potential ways to 'hack' the CA system and BMW wants to avoid lawsuits if they promote it being a 'safe' system.

I'm glad I have the CA system and glad that I don't need to look for a Faraday purse to keep the keys in a t night.
Previous cars: E91 330d High Executive, Sapphire Black | F21 120i M Sport, Sapphire Black | F31 320dA Efficient Dynamics Edition, High Executive, Imperialblue, Luxury Line, Style 392 17" | E90 325i Montego blue, saddelbrown leather, V-style 285 17" rims
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2018, 08:27 AM   #12
MarkyM
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks!

/n
I think you should've
Quote:

Good to hear it works! I also don't understand why they didn't promote this, for many people this was the reason they didn't choose to spec Comfort Access. But maybe this doesn't solve all potential ways to 'hack' the CA system and BMW wants to avoid lawsuits if they promote it being a 'safe' system.

I'm glad I have the CA system and glad that I don't need to look for a Faraday purse to keep the keys in a t night.
Yes I see what you mean, back in 2012 I ordered a X5 with comfort access but then deleted it from order because of all the bad press about it back then, but that didn't have keyless go which was good in a way as with keys in hand unlocking door I could just slot it into the ignition (which back then also used to charge the key)

Always seemed a bit strange when having a courtesy car with keyless go I had nowhere to put the keys after unlocking other than the cup holder so that made me order it on the X3 so I could just keep key in pocket all the time
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2018, 08:34 AM   #13
dan321
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Quote:

My X3 was built in April too. Just tried the same test on my car and got the same result... couldn't open the door until I moved the key.

Great find!

Keep in mind though that when you are out and about, at the restaurant or what ever your keys are in your pocket and move pretty often. Probably most of the time you are too far from the car for the hack to work though so that might not be so bad.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2018, 09:06 AM   #14
comber
Lieutenant
Spain
Rep
Drives: 2021 X4 M40i

Quote:

Thank you for the info!!!!! I had no idea about this, and it is a really good improvement. My car is a June built so should have it, I will try one day.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2018, 11:30 AM   #15
MarkyM
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan321 View Post
Quote:

My X3 was built in April too. Just tried the same test on my car and got the same result... couldn't open the door until I moved the key.

Great find!

Keep in mind though that when you are out and about, at the restaurant or what ever your keys are in your pocket and move pretty often. Probably most of the time you are too far from the car for the hack to work though so that might not be so bad.
I always keep my key in pocket at home so probably vulnerable to that sort of thing

It was stories such as that that put me off ordering comfort access 6 years ago on last car with claims of thieves following people away from cars with a £20 box of electronics in a suitcase whilst their mate waited at the car with a receiver to open and drive away
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2018, 11:33 AM   #16
MarkyM
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks!

/n
I think you should've
Quote:

You should post this as a new thread describing the change, it's surely worthy of the news page, may tip some people over into ordering comfort access

I assume it may also apply to keyless go feature even if you don't have comfort access?
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2018, 05:31 AM   #17
BMWGuySweden
First Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Thanks!

/n
Same for me unfortunately
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2018, 06:21 AM   #18
Lux700
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

BMW probably didn’t shout about it because they didn’t want to highlight there was an issue in the first place. It seems that they have quietly sorted it out.

I ordered everything that comes with ‘Comfort Access’ package except the comfort access! If I’d have known the issue would have been resolved, of course I would specced it, but I’m not too fussed, as I don’t see it as a major inconvenience.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2018, 01:05 PM   #19
broc
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 3.0D M-Sport

Has anyone in the UK tried to persuade their dealers to carry out this upgrade, and if so at what cost?
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2018, 02:23 PM   #20
MarkyM
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by broc View Post
Has anyone in the UK tried to persuade their dealers to carry out this upgrade, and if so at what cost?
When was your car registered?
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2018, 04:19 PM   #21
ParadigmDawg
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 AMG GLC63s

Gap insurance....always...and enjoy your new car....I wish mine would get stolen yearly as long as it's never found.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2018, 04:22 PM   #22
broc
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 3.0D M-Sport

Quote:
When was your car registered?
April 2018, so I suspect it pre-dates the modification
Appreciate 0