BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-01-2018, 03:02 AM   #1
SSIMPS
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Diagnostic Mode

I stumbled across the ability to enter "diagnostic mode" while playing around with coding.

To enter diagnostic mode:

Turn on ignition but not engine, press start/stop button 3 times in quick succession. You then can hold down the trip reset button on the dash and it will enter a menu.

So far it looks like you can reset your engine oil service date, and general service date. Brake fluid says non resettable.

I have found next to no information on this and am curious if any of you have seen anything? Not sure if it's related to the recent-ish iDrive update that has made connecting to the CANbus difficult for me.
Appreciate 2
kevinkay271.50
Douggie142.00
      07-01-2018, 06:38 AM   #2
nogren
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: G01 30d

Is it the same menu as when holding down the trip reset button for >7s with the ignition on, on the F models? (Search YouTube)
There is also, in that menu, a self test of KOMBI that can be a party trick.
But I have not found documentation of that either.

/n
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2018, 10:59 AM   #3
SSIMPS
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogren View Post
Is it the same menu as when holding down the trip reset button for >7s with the ignition on, on the F models? (Search YouTube)
There is also, in that menu, a self test of KOMBI that can be a party trick.
But I have not found documentation of that either.

/n
I believe it's similar. The only post I've found about it said it should have 9 options and a password that is the sum of the digits in the last 7 of your VIN.

Mine only had 3 options and no password though :
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2018, 02:55 PM   #4
Yousif00
Rep
Drives: 2019 G01 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSIMPS View Post
I stumbled across the ability to enter "diagnostic mode" while playing around with coding.

Turn on ignition but not engine, press start/stop button 3 times in quick succession. You then can hold down the trip reset button on the dash and it will enter a menu.

So far it looks like you can reset your engine oil service date, and general service date. Brake fluid says non resettable.

I have found next to no information on this and am curious if any of you have seen anything? Not sure if it's related to the recent-ish iDrive update that has made connecting to the CANbus difficult for me.
I was wondering which instrument cluster do you have? I have tried it on my X3 but it didn’t seem to work. I have the half digital half analog instrument cluster. Unless I’m unaware, there is no real way of turning on the ignition anymore right? As soon as I open one of the doors the instrument cluster lights up as well as the idrive display. If I try to press the ignition button, all I get is a message telling me “to start engine press brake pedal”. Am I doing this wrong?
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2018, 12:10 AM   #5
SSIMPS
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yousif00 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSIMPS View Post

I was wondering which instrument cluster do you have? I have tried it on my X3 but it didn’t seem to work. I have the half digital half analog instrument cluster. Unless I’m unaware, there is no real way of turning on the ignition anymore right? As soon as I open one of the doors the instrument cluster lights up as well as the idrive display. If I try to press the ignition button, all I get is a message telling me “to start engine press brake pedal”. Am I doing this wrong?
I do have the full digital display, but I don't think that should make a difference. The process I've used is: unlock, get in, close door, press ignition once (without foot on break), and then press the ignition button 3 times in quick succession. It takes a few seconds, but then I get a notification that "diagnostic mode activated"
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2018, 12:44 AM   #6
SSIMPS
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Here are some photos
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-08-2019, 12:30 PM   #7
supersebbo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: iX3 Premier Pro (Dec 21)

Just found this by accident too.

I believe it’s most useful reason for existing is that it keeps the car electronic systems on and diagnostic port active without the engine running. So you have unlimited time to complete map updates etc without having to worry about it powering down.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2019, 06:21 PM   #8
Fast400
Major
Germany
Rep
Drives: iX M60

Garage List
2014 BMW  [0.00]
I checked this out today, and the process is slightly different from the F series, so I figured what better to do on Thanksgiving than make a quick "Service Indicator Reset" How to. Hope it helps folks.
Appreciate 1
kevinkay271.50