BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-01-2018, 02:57 PM   #1
faffoocasey
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 3 Series 320D G21 Tourer

M40i First Impressions, answers to my own questions, and a few niggles I've noticed

Hey guys,

So thought I would post some of my thoughts after finally taking delivery of my M40i on Saturday here in Glasgow. I also thought it may be useful for future folks if I put answers up to some of the questions I had over the past few months while waiting on delivery.

Car First Impressions
Wow. There really are no words. The car feels stable and planted like you'd expect an SUV to be, but hit that sport button and it turns in to a fully fledged sports car. Not even 'a little sporty', I mean an absolute blast to throw in to turns etc.

That exhaust
Oh my god its loud, it will never stop putting a smile on your face.

Adaptive Suspension
I never specced adaptive suspension on mine, and after reading a lot on here I began to regret it. I'm not denying it is probably an awesome addition, but I think the ride on the M40i with passive dampers is incredibly impressive. Very little (and I mean very little) body role, and not too firm when in comfort. They have got a perfect balance here I think.

Q: How accurate is the estimated arrival date from BMW?
My car arrived within 2 days of the original estimated date. Its worth noting that between order date and arrival date, the estimated arrival date kept getting pushed further to the right, but at the last minute rained all the way back in and arrived as promised before the end of July.

How fuel efficient is it?
It's pretty good - if you set your expectations right. Its by no means a Vauxhall Corsa 1.3L Diesel EcoFlex, but nor is it a Lamborghini. It drinks petrol, but at an arguably justified rate. You wouldn't be buying an M40i if fuel economy was top of your list. However, I fully expect it to improve slightly as the car beds in.

Tech
There is a hell of a lot to learn about the car. Shall report back when I have had time to play with more of it.

What options are good?
Obviously this is subjective, but for me (as someone who loves being able to relax on the motorway, but also fling a car around bends on a country road, I absolutely love the following:
  • Adaptive Cruise Control
  • HUD
  • Digital Dash
  • Harmon Kardon Surround Sound
  • 360 degree camera
  • Panoramic sunroof

I would strongly recommend considering the above options, but there are many more that are options, and of course its all opinion and personal requirements.

A Few Niggles
Finally, a few niggles with my particular car. Would be interested to get peoples thoughts on this?

1 - On the edge of the bonnet (hood) panel (actually on the side of the panel if you pop the hood) there is a noticeable chip of paintwork missing. It looks white, almost like the panel was damaged during assembly.

2 - the roller that closes over the cupholders and wireless charging has a tendency to get stuck when fully closed and has to be man handled to get it open again.

3 - the iDrive touch screen has a hell of a lot of scratches on it. I didn't noticed until it was in direct sunlight.

Are these issues things I should report to my dealer.

In summary:

If you own the car, I now know what you guys meant by 'It will blow your mind'.
If you are waiting on yours arriving, sit tight, its definitely worth the wait.
If you are considering an M40i, do it! Dont think, just do it.

EDIT: Pics here - https://500px.com/g/e061430c07632555...2ba55d2e423099

Last edited by faffoocasey; 07-01-2018 at 03:19 PM..
Appreciate 4
Rbrown2765.50
Boosh9932.50
sinbad4782.50
rrao5610.00
      07-01-2018, 02:58 PM   #2
faffoocasey
Private
Rep

Pics attached
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2018, 03:12 PM   #3
darrylo
Head Idiot
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 G01 X3 x30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by faffoocasey View Post
Pics attached
Uh, we see no pics nowhere.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2018, 03:13 PM   #4
faffoocasey
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrylo View Post
Uh, we see no pics nowhere.
Working on it, this forum is somewhat challenging.....
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2018, 03:15 PM   #5
Ragnarkov
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 i30xdrive

Garage List
2018 BMW X3  [0.00]
I've heard a lot of people comment on the touchscreen having scratches. make sure the thin plastic protective sheet has been removed. apparently (from what I've read) it shows everything because it is soft and only temporary.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2018, 03:17 PM   #6
faffoocasey
Private
Rep

Pictures here - https://500px.com/g/e061430c07632555...2ba55d2e423099
Appreciate 1
rrao5610.00
      07-01-2018, 03:18 PM   #7
faffoocasey
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnarkov View Post
I've heard a lot of people comment on the touchscreen having scratches. make sure the thin plastic protective sheet has been removed. apparently (from what I've read) it shows everything because it is soft and only temporary.
Interesting, I couldn't see any plastic. Will need to check again. Its really quite annoying if its on the glass, I can't stop noticing it now.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2018, 03:23 PM   #8
Ragnarkov
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW X3  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Interesting, I couldn't see any plastic. Will need to check again. Its really quite annoying if its on the glass, I can't stop noticing it now.
I've heard some people say the only way they got it off was to take some tape (painters, low adhesion might be a good one) to help lift the corner. some have said they swear it's not there, only to find its cut extremely well to fit exact. I'm sure that's not every case, but it's definitely worth looking into. I know I would go bananas if the touchscreen on my new expensive car was covered in tiny scratches this quick, if at all. (I plan never to use the touch, just the jog dial, although I guess that might change).
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2018, 03:39 PM   #9
Boosh99
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40i & X1 xDrive25i

Congrats - great feedback and love the photos!
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2018, 03:41 PM   #10
Rbrown
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Matt, really glad you like it.

I will watch out for you on the road!
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2018, 03:43 PM   #11
faffoocasey
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbrown View Post
Matt, really glad you like it.

I will watch out for you on the road!
Likewise! Douglas park have only sold 2 M40i's, so I'm guessing they are still quite rare in these parts
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2018, 03:52 PM   #12
MarkyM
Major
Rep

Quote:
Hey guys,

So thought I would post some of my thoughts after finally taking delivery of my M40i on Saturday here in Glasgow. I also thought it may be useful for future folks if I put answers up to some of the questions I had over the past few months while waiting on delivery.

Car First Impressions
Wow. There really are no words. The car feels stable and planted like you'd expect an SUV to be, but hit that sport button and it turns in to a fully fledged sports car. Not even 'a little sporty', I mean an absolute blast to throw in to turns etc.

That exhaust
Oh my god its loud, it will never stop putting a smile on your face.

Adaptive Suspension
I never specced adaptive suspension on mine, and after reading a lot on here I began to regret it. I'm not denying it is probably an awesome addition, but I think the ride on the M40i with passive dampers is incredibly impressive. Very little (and I mean very little) body role, and not too firm when in comfort. They have got a perfect balance here I think.

Q: How accurate is the estimated arrival date from BMW?
My car arrived within 2 days of the original estimated date. Its worth noting that between order date and arrival date, the estimated arrival date kept getting pushed further to the right, but at the last minute rained all the way back in and arrived as promised before the end of July.

How fuel efficient is it?
It's pretty good - if you set your expectations right. Its by no means a Vauxhall Corsa 1.3L Diesel EcoFlex, but nor is it a Lamborghini. It drinks petrol, but at an arguably justified rate. You wouldn't be buying an M40i if fuel economy was top of your list. However, I fully expect it to improve slightly as the car beds in.

Tech
There is a hell of a lot to learn about the car. Shall report back when I have had time to play with more of it.

What options are good?
Obviously this is subjective, but for me (as someone who loves being able to relax on the motorway, but also fling a car around bends on a country road, I absolutely love the following:
  • Adaptive Cruise Control
  • HUD
  • Digital Dash
  • Harmon Kardon Surround Sound
  • 360 degree camera
  • Panoramic sunroof

I would strongly recommend considering the above options, but there are many more that are options, and of course its all opinion and personal requirements.

A Few Niggles
Finally, a few niggles with my particular car. Would be interested to get peoples thoughts on this?

1 - On the edge of the bonnet (hood) panel (actually on the side of the panel if you pop the hood) there is a noticeable chip of paintwork missing. It looks white, almost like the panel was damaged during assembly.

2 - the roller that closes over the cupholders and wireless charging has a tendency to get stuck when fully closed and has to be man handled to get it open again.

3 - the iDrive touch screen has a hell of a lot of scratches on it. I didn't noticed until it was in direct sunlight.

Are these issues things I should report to my dealer.

In summary:

If you own the car, I now know what you guys meant by 'It will blow your mind'.
If you are waiting on yours arriving, sit tight, its definitely worth the wait.
If you are considering an M40i, do it! Dont think, just do it.

EDIT: Pics here - https://500px.com/g/e061430c07632555...2ba55d2e423099
Looks superb, congrats on the arrival, have that same issue with my slider over cup holders, total mystery it won't budge then all of a sudden opens fine
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2018, 03:57 PM   #13
faffoocasey
Private
Rep

Oh and for the tyre crew,

My 20" alloys came with Bridgestone Alenzas with about 5mm of tread on them.....

Go figure, cost cutting is my guess
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2018, 03:58 PM   #14
faffoocasey
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyM View Post
Looks superb, congrats on the arrival, have that same issue with my slider over cup holders, total mystery it won't budge then all of a sudden opens fine
Have you spoke to your dealer about it?
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2018, 04:00 PM   #15
Rhino707
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Good to see that your wait is finally over and that you’re enjoying the car. As predicted, it turned up on time despite all the status updates saying it wouldn’t. Seems best to assume that it’ll be on time if it leaves the factory on time (barring issues like the particle filter on the 2 litre petrols).
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2018, 04:05 PM   #16
sinbad4
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M40i

Garage List
Nice pics. Tree lined road is my fav. Congrats on new car.

I have no scratches on screen. My roll drawer never sticks.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2018, 04:59 PM   #17
faffoocasey
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I've heard some people say the only way they got it off was to take some tape (painters, low adhesion might be a good one) to help lift the corner. some have said they swear it's not there, only to find its cut extremely well to fit exact. I'm sure that's not every case, but it's definitely worth looking into. I know I would go bananas if the touchscreen on my new expensive car was covered in tiny scratches this quick, if at all. (I plan never to use the touch, just the jog dial, although I guess that might change).
It had a film on it. Never been so relieved. I had to rip it out the bottom of the screen. Looks like that should have been removed before being fitted.

So glad it's not the screen. Anyone ever used a screen protector for this screen?
Appreciate 1
rrao5610.00
      07-01-2018, 05:06 PM   #18
Ragnarkov
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW X3  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
It had a film on it. Never been so relieved. I had to rip it out the bottom of the screen. Looks like that should have been removed before being fitted.

So glad it's not the screen. Anyone ever used a screen protector for this screen?
Glad to hear it was just the crappy temp one. I agree it's definitely worth getting a real one on though. I have read elsewhere others putting them on. if I find where, I'll post it.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2018, 05:17 PM   #19
jbtco
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Oh and for the tyre crew,

My 20" alloys came with Bridgestone Alenzas with about 5mm of tread on them.....

Go figure, cost cutting is my guess
I have 20” Alenzas too but tread is 8mm. Maybe crew on transporter doing some donuts on board on the way across 😱

I have no quality issues with mine so far find it quiet (with acoustic glass) and very comfortable ride. I do find the brakes a bit grabby specially in low speed manoeuvres on a slight downward slope.

Took a little practice getting into my garage but have got it sussed now.

Do miss the 2 steering wheel M buttons from the M3 which could be programmed with favourite settings for throttle map, gear shifting, and suspension.

Still got to master all the tech as some differences from the M3 though mostly familiar.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2018, 05:23 PM   #20
MarkyM
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyM View Post
Have you spoke to your dealer about it?
No not yet, it isn't bothering me so I will leave it as is at the moment and it's the only issue I have found so far but if you do get yours looked at let me know the outcome please, thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2018, 05:59 PM   #21
Aaaaaaaaa
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: The other M3

Quote:
This! I thought mine had a lot of scratches from poor dealer prep but I noticed there was a small bubble under the film so I had a hunch the shipping film was still on. Lightly picked at the corner with my fingernail and lo and behold a film! My M3 didn't have a film on it maybe the dealer forgot. Anyhow the screen is pristine now never touching it even if it is a touchscreen.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2018, 07:44 PM   #22
darrylo
Head Idiot
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 G01 X3 x30i

Quote:

I have one, but I haven't decided if I still want to install it.
Appreciate 0