BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-04-2018, 02:22 PM   #1
JamesWWIII
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 440i Coupe

Garage List
Blind spot monitoring retrofit?

Asking for a family member who bought a new X3 M40i that was supposed to come with this option, but somehow did not...is this possible? If so, what kind of cost would they be looking at?
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2018, 02:32 PM   #2
bmtespar
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 X3 30i, 18 230iX Vert

It would be super expensive and most likely not plug and play. The system uses radar modules at each bumper corner so you would need 4 of those, also the mirrors with indicator would be used and I’m assuming some sort primary controlling module. Then everything would have to be coded to tell the car now has the system. This is assuming the car is prewired for the feature. This is just my guess as to what you would actually need but I’m sure there is more to add. I wouldn’t try to retrofit.
Appreciate 1
JamesWWIII2932.00
      07-04-2018, 03:02 PM   #3
JamesWWIII
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Thanks for the input. This is pretty much what I figured, just wanted to seek opinions among those who own newer X3s.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2018, 03:32 PM   #4
XXX3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

The “Driver Assist” option was not on my 2018 X3 M40i, so I installed these blind spot mirrors. They work great and are adjustable. Got them from Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
2013 Boss 302 Race Red (sold)
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2018, 03:42 PM   #5
jrbeire
Enlisted Member
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 330e XDrive G21

Even lower cost option is to adjust your side mirrors properly. I'm embarrassed to say that I only learnt this recently. And I've completed advanced driving courses etc.. go figure

Basically move your head slightly to the side of the mirror your adjusting and adjust such that you can barely see the back of your car/ SUV/ etc. (Don't worry the back of your car is going anywhere just because you can no longer see it )

Go for a drive on the dual carriage way/ motorway/ highway/ auto-whatever. Now when another vehicle is approaching., the front of that vehicle will appear in your peripheral vision just as it leaves your side mirror.

Of course, this won't work if you don't check your side mirrors - but hey, we're all good drivers here!
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2018, 07:48 PM   #6
JamesWWIII
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrbeire View Post
Even lower cost option is to adjust your side mirrors properly. I'm embarrassed to say that I only learnt this recently. And I've completed advanced driving courses etc.. go figure

Basically move your head slightly to the side of the mirror your adjusting and adjust such that you can barely see the back of your car/ SUV/ etc. (Don't worry the back of your car is going anywhere just because you can no longer see it )

Go for a drive on the dual carriage way/ motorway/ highway/ auto-whatever. Now when another vehicle is approaching., the front of that vehicle will appear in your peripheral vision just as it leaves your side mirror.
Yes, indeed. This is one of the first things they teach in classes at the BMW Performance Center. Mirror adjustment and driver's seat position.
Appreciate 0