BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-06-2018, 09:06 PM   #1
TreDirtyFive
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

X3 xdrive30i Loaner Thoughts

Brought in my M40i to check on wind noise and an exhaust vibration on acceleration and was given an xdrive30i for 5 days.

I have to say, outside of it being mostly a stripper, I enjoyed how the throttle seemed to pick up quicker and feel much more natural on tip-in than my M40i around town...especially below 50mph on comfort mode. The gearing is matched nicely to this powerplant. Of course, it doesn't missile away on kick down or feel as exciting/sporty to drive as the M40i but I felt it was more than commendable for everyday driving. I'm sure it feels more than quick enough for most people and was undeniably better on gas.

My M40i seems strangely a bit lethargic and lazy when just cruising around under 50mph, in comparison, on comfort/adaptive. Of course, when I give it a bit of throttle, it dumps down and wants to destroy me. But, interestingly enough, the car feels like it gets into high gears way too quickly compared to the x30i. Maybe that's a product of tuning the gears to save gas unless you want to go all out or put it on Sport? The thing is, most the time I don't want to go all out. When just cruising around the town the M40i can feel sluggish to me for some odd reason. Maybe I'm crazy.

Anyhow, thought I'd share. Don't get me wrong and feed me the "You should've gotten an X30i and stop complaining." This is just observational and, outside of the horrid wind noise, my car is a blast. Carry On.
      07-06-2018, 10:48 PM   #2
GL
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 X7 M50i, 2019 540i

Did you see my post about adding acoustic side glass? Other than the $1,100 it cost to buy the glass and install it, this completely solved my wind noise.

I do agree with you about the throttle response but have gotten used to it.
Appreciate 1
dskurth41.50
      07-07-2018, 02:13 AM   #3
Aaaaaaaaa
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: The other M3

I feel what you mean. I had a 435 and the throttle does feel a bit sluggish and numb on initial application on the X3. Probably just different tuning to make it smoother in daily driving situations.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2018, 10:54 AM   #4
Njerts
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: x3 m40i

Garage List
I owned a e48 X1 with a N20 engine for 5 years.
The throttle response was terrible, ruined an otherwise great car. I had to do a throttle body reset every 1000 km. That is why I did not even consider the 30i
I would not change anything on my M40i, throttle response is perfect for me.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2018, 12:21 PM   #5
Jayf30
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '18 X3 M40i Dark Graphite Cogn

In my 2 weeks of ownership I just started to complain about this. Living in SF with nothing but hills, better throttle response in comfort mode would be appreciated.

Perhaps a sport individual setting could fix this by setting the transmission to sport and everything else in comfort? I'll have to give that a try and will be interesting to see if it has any affect on efficiency vs plain comfort because then we'll know why.
      07-07-2018, 12:35 PM   #6
J-sun
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Vibration/Buzz During Acceleration

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreDirtyFive View Post
Brought in my M40i to check on wind noise and an exhaust vibration on acceleration and was given an xdrive30i for 5 days.

Please update us when your vibration issue is diagnosed. I'm experiencing a similar annoying vibration during acceleration - sounds like it's coming from the exhaust or a loose heat shield. The M40i is a blast to drive, but the vibration sound is a real buzzkill.
      07-07-2018, 01:06 PM   #7
MdW86
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw f30 320i 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Njerts View Post
The throttle response was terrible, ruined an otherwise great car. I had to do a throttle body reset every 1000 km. That is why I did not even consider the 30i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Njerts View Post
The new engine is way better than the N20. Diffrence is day and night
Appreciate 2
dskurth41.50
530iDriver1707.50
      07-07-2018, 01:14 PM   #8
mjdth
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
This is part of the reason I'm really happy I sprung for Adaptive M Suspension. That Adaptive mode is the perfect balance between comfort and sport for me. Comfort is too loose and sport is just too crazy aggressive to drive around in all the time.
Appreciate 1
dskurth41.50
      07-07-2018, 01:16 PM   #9
bmtespar
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 X3 30i, 18 230iX Vert

I believe it has more to do with the throttle mapping for the vehicle. I had the e48 x1 with the n20 engine and experience the same throttle issue. I then had a f30 3 series with the n20 and had no issue with throttle. Then I got a f48 x1 with the new n26 motor and while it wasn’t as bad it still had a flat spot on initial throttle where the car seemed to fall on it’s face. My spouse has a 4 series with the n26 and it has much better throttle response than my x1. Then I got the the g01 x3 and I would say it is on par with the 4 series in terms of throttle response.
Appreciate 1
dskurth41.50
      07-07-2018, 01:42 PM   #10
Njerts
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: x3 m40i

Garage List
Great if it an improvement on the N20, then I am happy for the 30i owners.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2018, 02:53 PM   #11
azf100
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayf30 View Post
In my 2 weeks of ownership I just started to complain about this. Living in SF with nothing but hills, better throttle response in comfort mode would be appreciated.

Perhaps a sport individual setting could fix this by setting the transmission to sport and everything else in comfort? I'll have to give that a try and will be interesting to see if it has any affect on efficiency vs plain comfort because then we'll know why.
For Sport Individual, I have the Engine in Sport and everything else at Comfort. Increased exhaust note aside, it makes throttle response quicker.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2018, 05:49 PM   #12
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by azf100 View Post
For Sport Individual, I have the Engine in Sport and everything else at Comfort. Increased exhaust note aside, it makes throttle response quicker.
Currently, my X3 doesn't have the M Adaptive suspension. I will be getting it on the 2019 X3 M40i. Will setting it the way you mentioned allow the trans to upshift to top gear on the freeway?
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2018, 07:26 PM   #13
Jayf30
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '18 X3 M40i Dark Graphite Cogn

Quote:
Originally Posted by azf100 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayf30 View Post

Awesome I'll give this a try this evening!
      07-08-2018, 02:36 AM   #14
TreDirtyFive
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-sun View Post
Please update us when your vibration issue is diagnosed. I'm experiencing a similar annoying vibration during acceleration - sounds like it's coming from the exhaust or a loose heat shield. The M40i is a blast to drive, but the vibration sound is a real buzzkill.
Apparently the Passenger side muffler area is causing micro vibrations on accel tip-in and sounds like a beard shaver for a few seconds...they have to order some part that they said may or may not fix it and I have to wait a month for it to arrive from germany. And they seemed to have made it worse since I need the car to drive.

They wouldn’t do much for the wind noise as the shop foreman said it sounds normal and in spec which is quite surprising for a big plush car. The SQ5 I test drove and actually beat on had no such wind noise over 60 and was so much more compliant ride quality wise. But I suppose I have to keep telling myself this is the M Performance guise of this model and it’s supposed to feel sportier. Still bugs me a bunch regardless.

Last edited by TreDirtyFive; 07-09-2018 at 05:27 PM..
Appreciate 1
dskurth41.50
      07-08-2018, 03:35 PM   #15
dskurth
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

Quote:

I have to say, outside of it being mostly a stripper, I enjoyed how the throttle seemed to pick up quicker and feel much more natural on tip-in than my M40i around town...especially below 50mph on comfort mode. The gearing is matched nicely to this powerplant. Of course, it doesn't missile away on kick down or feel as exciting/sporty to drive as the M40i but I felt it was more than commendable for everyday driving. I'm sure it feels more than quick enough for most people and was undeniably better on gas.

My M40i seems strangely a bit lethargic and lazy when just cruising around under 50mph, in comparison, on comfort/adaptive. Of course, when I give it a bit of throttle, it dumps down and wants to destroy me. But, interestingly enough, the car feels like it gets into high gears way too quickly compared to the x30i. Maybe that's a product of tuning the gears to save gas unless you want to go all out or put it on Sport? The thing is, most the time I don't want to go all out. When just cruising around the town the M40i can feel sluggish to me for some odd reason. Maybe I'm crazy.

Anyhow, thought I'd share. Don't get me wrong and feed me the "You should've gotten an X30i and stop complaining." This is just observational and, outside of the horrid wind noise, my car is a blast. Carry On.

Interesting. I have had the same observations on the response. It is to "all or nothing" feeling. I love a great handling car and an engine..not for speeding but controlled response. I have had 3 - 3 series with a inline v6 and so it was normal to want a similar engine. I miss the manual transmission, but it is more practical in Los Angeles traffic. That said, I am wondering if I got the right model....
      07-08-2018, 04:26 PM   #16
Aaaaaaaaa
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: The other M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dskurth View Post
Quote:

Interesting. I have had the same observations on the response. It is to "all or nothing" feeling. I love a great handling car and an engine..not for speeding but controlled response. I have had 3 - 3 series with a inline v6 and so it was normal to want a similar engine. I miss the manual transmission, but it is more practical in Los Angeles traffic. That said, I am wondering if I got the right model....
Inline V6?
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2018, 05:01 PM   #17
bmtespar
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 X3 30i, 18 230iX Vert

How did a thread bout an x3 30i loaner and the drivers thought turn into yet another m40i thread?
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2018, 05:04 PM   #18
TxHornX3M40iGuy
TXHornX3M340iGuy
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White BMW X3 M40i

Quote:
Apparently the Passenger side muffler area is causing mico vibrations on accel tip-in and sounds like a beard shaver for a few seconds...they have to order some part that they said may or may not fix it and I have to wait a month for it to arrive from germany. And they seemed to have made it worse since I need the car to drive.

They wouldn’t do much for the wind noise as the shop foreman said it sounds normal and in spec which is quite surprising for a big plush car. The SQ5 I test drove and actually beat on had no such wind noise over 60 and was so much more compliant ride quality wise. But I suppose I have to keep telling myself this is the M Performance guise of this model and it’s supposed to feel sportier. Still bugs me a bunch regardless.
Can you describe what this felt/sounded like? I've got a rattle from the rear passenger area and wondering if that could be the issue. I also feel like in harder acceleration there is a "bogging down" during shifts where the car kind of pulls back some before lurching forward, almost like you'd get when shifting a manual I guess, but harder.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2018, 06:17 PM   #19
azf100
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobsM3Coupe View Post
Currently, my X3 doesn't have the M Adaptive suspension. I will be getting it on the 2019 X3 M40i. Will setting it the way you mentioned allow the trans to upshift to top gear on the freeway?
Yes it does.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2018, 10:37 PM   #20
oznefu
Rep
Drives: e90

So does the 30i have significantly less wind/road noise compared to the m40i?

How do these 2 compare to the Q5 & SQ5?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2018, 03:49 AM   #21
nogren
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: G01 30d

Well the M Sport chassis might add some, but I think it's more up to the wheels, if there are any differences. And perhaps also the adaptive chassis option.
That's why I went for 18" and adaptive chassis, and also acoustic front windows. To get it as comfortable and quiet as possible.
With this the X3 is very quiet, even on 20" wheels, which I test drove before ordering.

(Note: not possible with 18" stock if having upgraded brakes, like on the M40i)

/n - waiting for a 30d
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2018, 01:56 AM   #22
dskurth
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

Quote:

You are not crazy. It feels a bit of all or nothing, althought I will admit, that I adjusted my gas foot and it has gotten better and easier to control. I have wondered that myself and yet what I really wanted was the V6 not a race car. One likes to have an engine when you need it, but 99.9% of the time, just having a good reaction and ability to go up a steep hill, is all that is necessary.

Did they ever get the car fixed? Was it the wheel bearings?