BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-09-2018, 08:03 AM   #1
faffoocasey
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 3 Series 320D G21 Tourer

Mobile Connectivity with CarPlay, Bluetooth, USB

Hey guys,

I opted for wireless charging, enhanced bluetooth and Apple CarPlay on my X3, but im having a few niggling issues and am looking for some insight:

- when using Apple CarPlay my audio streaming stutters every so often, whether I have the phone on the charging pad or not
- when I then connect using a USB cable to the port next to the wireless pad, the issue persists, and it makes me thing the car is using bluetooth still rather than USB
- if I turn CarPlay off and use iDrive, the car still favours Bluetooth over USB, and I have to disable bluetooth audio before it will let me use a USB connection for audio
- Audio quality seems better over USB compared to bluetooth

So my questions:

- Is it possible to have the car favour USB over bluetooth when available? My old 2 series with iDrive 5 allowed you to do this

- Any tips on stopping the stuttering when using CarPlay?

- What happens if you put an iPhone connected via USB on to the wireless charging pad? Will it double charge?

What are peoples thoughts on CarPlay vs iDrive? I like getting notifications in CarPlay for my messages, but the integration of phone and track listings in the HUD/digital cockpit is far nicer with iDrive. Is it possible to get your text messages thru to iDrive 6?
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2018, 08:10 AM   #2
sinbad4
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by faffoocasey View Post
Hey guys,
- when using Apple CarPlay my audio streaming stutters every so often, whether I have the phone on the charging pad or not
- when I then connect using a USB cable to the port next to the wireless pad, the issue persists, and it makes me thing the car is using bluetooth still rather than USB
- if I turn CarPlay off and use iDrive, the car still favours Bluetooth over USB, and I have to disable bluetooth audio before it will let me use a USB connection for audio
- Audio quality seems better over USB compared to bluetooth
Couple things.

1) Are you sure you using CarPlay? Sometimes mine will switch to Bluetooth audio. Go to Manage Mobile Devices, select your phone. You should see both a CarPlay and Bluetooth option. Make sure CarPlay is selected.

2) Wireless CarPlay negotiates over Bluetooth, but actually uses ad-hoc WiFi 802.11 connection to off load audio/ video. Quality should match wired audio.

3) You can use USB audio to play music.

I have zero problems with cutting out or quality. I would get dealer involved with this issue. I definitely should not be happening.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2018, 08:14 AM   #3
faffoocasey
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 3 Series 320D G21 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinbad4 View Post
Couple things.

1) Are you sure you using CarPlay? Sometimes mine will switch to Bluetooth audio. Go to Manage Mobile Devices, select your phone. You should see both a CarPlay and Bluetooth option. Make sure CarPlay is selected.

2) Wireless CarPlay negotiates over Bluetooth, but actually uses ad-hoc WiFi 802.11 connection to off load audio/ video. Quality should match wired audio.

3) You can use USB audio to play music.

I have zero problems with cutting out or quality. I would get dealer involved with this issue. I definitely should not be happening.
It is definitely CarPlay, I can see the CarPlay UI, or does that not necessarily mean audio is coming from CarPlay?

Should my phone show as connected to Wifi? I notice there is a wifi CarPlay hotspot in my settings, but it doesn't show as connected.

Regarding point 3, is it possible to have the car switch to USB when connected, without having to disable bluetooth?
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2018, 01:31 PM   #4
sinbad4
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M40i

Garage List
My iPhone X goes blue at top left, indicating CarPlay connection - kind of like it goes green when on a call but you go to home screen.

Think USB is entirely independent from BT/ CarPlay, as my daughters will use it to play music. My phone stays connected via CarPlay.
Appreciate 0