BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-09-2018, 05:33 PM   #1
RocketRomeo
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

X3 M40i - exhaust noise - vibration / resonance?

Hi guys

Just hit 3k miles and I’ve started to notice a vibration/resonating noise coming from the rear (?left) of the vehicle. It’s the sort of noise that an exhaust makes, that’s for certain.

Primarily audible when moving slowly in a higher gear... but once acceleration occurs the noise subsided, or is overpowered by acceleration noises (engine/exhaust etc.)

Is this noise simply due to the sports exhaust and is another “sporty” or “raw” sound? Or is this an issue that should be looked at? Possibly an exhaust hanger or something?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by RocketRomeo; 07-12-2018 at 06:16 PM.. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2018, 05:58 PM   #2
Aaaaaaaaa
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: The other M3

I do notice a bit more resonance in the exhaust than in my previous 435. Could be some active sound design too. Just move the gear lever in S and put your foot down problem solved.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2018, 06:10 PM   #3
RocketRomeo
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pheerIx View Post
I do notice a bit more resonance in the exhaust than in my previous 435. Could be some active sound design too. Just move the gear lever in S and put your foot down problem solved.
Lol... thanks for the solution!

However... does this suggest it’s normal?
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2018, 07:04 PM   #4
Aaaaaaaaa
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketRomeo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pheerIx View Post
Lol... thanks for the solution!

However... does this suggest it’s normal?
I assume it's normal. The defective exhaust hanger from other posts sounded like it was causing more of a rattle/clunk more than a resonant noise.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2018, 05:34 PM   #5
RocketRomeo
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2018, 06:18 PM   #6
mjdth
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
It's a problem with the cars that a lot of us are encountering. I know someone got their exhaust replaced but it didn't full solve the issue. I'm waiting to get the same thing done since it's on backorder. It keeps getting worse and worse and I'm about about 2,200 miles.

Combine the vibration/rattle with a separate constant rattle coming from the sunroof and it's making it really tough to enjoy my new car without blaring the music.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2018, 09:20 PM   #7
Jayf30
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '18 X3 M40i Dark Graphite Cogn

I had a rattle problem in my exhaust on my old F30 335i and the only thing that came to mind was the actuator.

So I did the golf tee mod (unplugged the actuator) leaving the flap open in the exhaust and never heard the rattle again. No rattles at the expense of louder start and increased exhaust note (didn't bother me).

I did it to my M40i last week and love the increased exhaust note. It's definitely not over the top.. maybe just the cold start but my car is parked in a parking garage so I don't have neighbors that hate me.

If you don't want to do the mod, that's ok but if it hasn't been brought up to the dealer you may want to suggest the actuator to them.
      07-11-2018, 04:36 PM   #8
TxHornX3M40iGuy
TXHornX3M340iGuy
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White BMW X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayf30 View Post
I had a rattle problem in my exhaust on my old F30 335i and the only thing that came to mind was the actuator.

So I did the golf tee mod (unplugged the actuator) leaving the flap open in the exhaust and never heard the rattle again. No rattles at the expense of louder start and increased exhaust note (didn't bother me).

I did it to my M40i last week and love the increased exhaust note. It's definitely not over the top.. maybe just the cold start but my car is parked in a parking garage so I don't have neighbors that hate me.

If you don't want to do the mod, that's ok but if it hasn't been brought up to the dealer you may want to suggest the actuator to them.
Can the dealer do this or do I have to? And if I have to, can you tell me how? lol. I love more sound.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2018, 04:44 PM   #9
Jayf30
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '18 X3 M40i Dark Graphite Cogn

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxHornX3M40iGuy View Post
Quote:

Can the dealer do this or do I have to? And if I have to, can you tell me how? lol. I love more sound.
Here's the thread:

Free exhaust flap mod (golf tee mod) by Manu https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1473087

Pretty simple, did it in 1 minute and just taped it to the heat shield!

Cold start is loud as well as starts in general lol. More and deeper burbles in lower RPM and overall increase in exhaust note, you won't regret it!
      07-11-2018, 05:14 PM   #10
TxHornX3M40iGuy
TXHornX3M340iGuy
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White BMW X3 M40i

Quote:
Here's the thread:

Free exhaust flap mod (golf tee mod) by Manu https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1473087

Pretty simple, did it in 1 minute and just taped it to the heat shield!

Cold start is loud as well as starts in general lol. More and deeper burbles in lower RPM and overall increase in exhaust note, you won't regret it!
Awesome. Thanks!!
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2018, 06:51 PM   #11
RocketRomeo
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks for the responses guys... need to decide between dealer Taking things apart and introducing new rattles/vibrations whilst telling me the original issue was “normal”.......or more wonderful exhaust “music”... hmmm!! Let me see that mod thread!
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2018, 01:57 AM   #12
TreDirtyFive
Major
United_States
Rep

I currently am waiting on a muffler part from the dealer to supposedly fix mine but in their testing they’ve made the vibration way louder and the sound duration is longer as well which is annoying since I have to wait a month for the part from germany.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2018, 02:06 AM   #13
mjdth
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreDirtyFive View Post
I currently am waiting on a muffler part from the dealer to supposedly fix mine but in their testing they’ve made the vibration way louder and the sound duration is longer as well which is annoying since I have to wait a month for the part from germany.
I think it might also just be naturally deteriorating. I brought mine in too and have to wait the month plus for that part, but since I've had it back it keeps getting worse and worse.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2018, 02:05 PM   #14
RocketRomeo
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

This is another disappointing quality issue ...
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2018, 02:16 PM   #15
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5MC

Quote:
Seems like every replacement part always has to come from Germany. Don't they realize that most of their X vehicles are made and sold in the US and that they should keep parts in the US?
I guess it's just the adamant way the Euro manufacturers do business.
Appreciate 1
      07-12-2018, 04:03 PM   #16
Aaaaaaaaa
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobsM3Coupe View Post
Quote:
Seems like every replacement part always has to come from Germany. Don't they realize that most of their X vehicles are made and sold in the US and that they should keep parts in the US?
I guess it's just the adamant way the Euro manufacturers do business.
Tariffs and $hit
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2018, 01:59 AM   #17
RocketRomeo
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Hey guys

Finally an update to this as the M40i has been in this week...

The dealership confirmed and diagnosed the noise. They say it’s the muffler and they can stop it by holding the muffler with their hand.... however, they can’t stop it without a hand!

End result... rear exhaust system being replaced.

So that’s good news.

Bad news... BMW has zero stock of the M40i exhausts... and most specific parts for that matter. It could be about 2 months for the part...
Appreciate 0