BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-10-2018, 09:43 AM   #1
Max Well
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 BG X3MC, '20 BSM X3MC

Wish List for G01 (LCI) X3 2021

As it appears BMW may have thoughtfully considered aspects of the original 2014 thread, ‘Wish List for the G01 (3rd Gen) X3 2017’, during the G01’s development (since many of the 93 items were included in the production model), it seems a similar thread for the LCI version might be useful. [ https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1015499 ]

There were a lot of great suggestions by Forum Members so hopefully we can do the same for the LCI.

1. Offer a wider range of exterior colors [was #63 on prev list]
2. Allow ‘Individual’ paint and leather choices for the USA market
3. Allow Customer to purchase option to choose their preferred Tire Mnfr from an approved list [was #56 on prev list]
4. Air Suspension option (like the G05 now offers) [was #37 on prev list]
5. Off-road package option (like the G05 now offers) [was #52 on prev list]
6. When rear seats are lowered, allow them to be flat plane [was #33 on prev list]
7. Add lower side-wall cargo attachment points so they can be used as tie-downs even with full cargo mats in place [was #92 on prev list]
8. Heavy Duty cargo tray as accessory option [was #93 on prev list]
9. iDrive 7.0

Last edited by Max Well; 07-10-2018 at 09:44 AM.. Reason: Typo corrected
Appreciate 2
ando2000.50
      07-10-2018, 09:46 AM   #2
Aaaaaaaaa
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: The other M3

-They need to do this with every car: Start car in last set driving mode or custom individual mode
- Car remembers last ASS setting
Appreciate 2
      07-10-2018, 12:06 PM   #3
DigiSage
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pheerIx View Post
-They need to do this with every car: Start car in last set driving mode or custom individual mode
- Car remembers last ASS setting
They will never do this because it means their published MPG numbers will go down.
Appreciate 2
ZHPsedan135.50
Max Well4734.50
      07-10-2018, 10:55 PM   #4
Hendoo
Noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: Shopping for X3 or X5

1) Provide a spare tire solution that doesn’t require the raised floor in the cargo area.

2) make the no-sunroof option available on all variants/trims

3) for lighter-colored upholstery, use matching-color carpet.

4) Would love Fire-engine red exterior color option.

5) provide an option for a quieter exhaust for M40i

6) provide easy user-selectable way to turn off Active Sound Design.

7). Make the acoustic-insulating glass available in USA.

Last edited by Hendoo; 07-10-2018 at 11:04 PM..
Appreciate 1
Max Well4734.50
      07-10-2018, 11:20 PM   #5
bmtespar
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 X3 30i, 18 230iX Vert

Ok, I’ll play along.

1. X5 and upcoming 3 series style dash and center console.
2. Updated x5 and 8 series style digital instrument cluster (although I really like the current full digital display.
3. Remote start (bmw will finally offer this on the new x5 and it is only 15 years behind everyone else.
4. Recontoured cooled seat closer to non cooled seat.
5. Massage seats

6. Next level autonomous driving.

Last edited by bmtespar; 07-10-2018 at 11:27 PM..
Appreciate 1
Max Well4734.50
      07-11-2018, 06:33 AM   #6
Max Well
Colonel
Rep

Appreciate these additions to the LCI's Wish List. I've compiled them in sequential order for ease of future reference.

10. Have G01 start in the last set driving mode or custom individual mode
11. Have G01 remember the last Auto Stop-Start [ASS] setting
12. Provide a spare tire solution that doesn’t require a raised floor in the cargo area
13. Make the ‘no-sunroof’ option available on all variants/trims
14. Use matching-color carpet for lighter-colored upholstery
15. Offer a ‘Fire-engine red’ exterior color option
16. Provide a ‘quieter exhaust’ option for the M40i
17. Provide an easy user-selectable way to turn off Active Sound Design
18. Make acoustic-insulating glass available an option in USA
19. Design dash and center console in the style of the X5 and upcoming 3 series
20. Design digital instrument cluster in the style of the updated X5 and 8 series
21. Enable Remote start (BMW will finally offer this on the new X5)
22. Re-design the 4FH Ventilated seats to more closely match the bolsters and ergonomics of the non-ventilated 481 Sport seats
23. Offer option of massage seats
24. Offer next-level autonomous driving
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2018, 06:50 AM   #7
Max Well
Colonel
Rep

In regards to SimonB's thread about ASS not working at times [ https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showt...3#post23442293 ], with the question raised as to low battery charge possibly causing such by verysideways, it would be helpful to be able to check the actual % charge of battery.

25. Provide ability to see actual % battery charge in iDrive 'Vehicle Status' menu (so battery health can be monitored and pro-active trickle charging can be performed without guessing as to need)
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2018, 12:14 PM   #8
titomi
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 G01 30i xDrive

Garage List
2018 X3 G01  [0.00]
i don´t own the car yet, but from other user experience, i would suggest:

- better "cover" for cameras (front and back)
- washers for headlights
- offer options for different trims around gear lever
- make HUD visible with polarized sunglasses (this is achievable, as I drove a Lexus with HUD a my polarized glasses without any issue)
Appreciate 1
Max Well4734.50
      07-20-2018, 04:03 PM   #9
verysideways
Lateral grip estimator
Rep
Drives: i4, M2

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by titomi View Post
- make HUD visible with polarized sunglasses (this is achievable, as I drove a Lexus with HUD a my polarized glasses without any issue)
I have HUD in my F31 340i and i can't see it because of my sunglasses, so didn't bother ordering it in the G01.
Mind you, the digital cockpit is much better than the F31 dashboard.
'02 Morgan Aero 8
http://petrolhead.tours
Appreciate 1
Max Well4734.50
      07-22-2018, 03:51 PM   #10
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

1. More rear legroom,
  2. different exterior look not too similar to previous gen,
  3. option for non run flat tires on larger rims,
  4. bring back separation of surround cameras not needing to get pro Nav to get it.
  5. option for a light colored headliner for msport or M40i,
  6. the terra-cotta red seats available in the X4
  7. comfort seats
  8. sports exhaust on and off switch like the Macan PSE
Appreciate 1
Max Well4734.50
      07-22-2018, 07:08 PM   #11
Zorro1121
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 428i xDrive Gran Coupe

All-season run-flats for 20" or 21" wheels - keep life simple!
Max Well4734.50
      07-23-2018, 03:14 PM   #12
Max Well
Colonel
Rep

I've updated the Master List to maintain sequential numbering - thanks for the additions everyone. I've also added another one at #39 - provide a simple, user-friendly method for checking iDrive to see whether our NAV Map version is current and if not, allow for download and install from within iDrive OTA while in the vehicle. A lot of software nowadays provides this ability to 'check for updates' and then approve of install if one is available.

26. Design a better "cover" for cameras (front and back)
27. Provide option for headlight washers
28. Offer options for different trims around the gear lever
29. Make the HUD visible even with polarized sunglasses
30. Provide more rear legroom
31. Design different exterior appearance so it is not too similar to the previous gen
32. Provide the option for non-run flat tires on larger rims
33. Bring back separate ordering of surround cameras so you don’t have to get Pro Nav to obtain
34. Provide option for a light-colored headliner for MSport or M40i
35. Enable terra-cotta red seats as an option (as available in the X4)
36. Allow Comfort Seats as an option
37. Provide a Sports Exhaust on-off switch like the Macan PSE
38. Allow All-season run-flats as options for 20" or 21" wheels

39. Provide a user-friendly method for checking and downloading NAV map updates OTA in iDrive
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2018, 12:45 PM   #13
Max Well
Colonel
Rep

The sun visors do not befit the G01's improved quality measures elsewhere in the cabin. There must be a way to allow this component some luxury attributes and a sliding internal mechanism which provides full blocking coverage, without adding much weight or cost. Picture attached of current visor.

40. Improve aesthetics of the Sun Visors and provide internal extension slides (do not have the visor just slide along it's track arm). [was #34 on prev list]
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-25-2018, 01:52 PM   #14
rolltidef32
National Championship #17 and Counting!
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW i3s and 2019 X5

I'm not sure for how many of you all making comments here are in your first BMW, but I've noticed a theme in most of these "wants" and that is, none of them involve driving dynamics; which is the primary reason to drive a BMW.

Some of these things listed will never happen with this brand, as others have responded on already. However, many of these tech or creature luxury requests just aren't BMW. Sure, the brand has tried to accommodate those new to BMW and its performance oriented ownership experience, but I detect some stubbornness and desire to turn their Bimmer into an Audi or Lexus; and that shit just ain't going to happen.

I was hoping to read of desires for more horsepower, a mechanical LSD, electric turbo, wider tires, no RFTs and performance rubber only, only sport and M sport packages, M Sport steering wheel only, larger standard wheels, lower ride height, maybe a beefier subwoofer, HUD as standard, etc.

You know, shit that actually matters when driving a BMW. So, am a bit disappointed fellas, but you have a right to your opinion, as do I.

Packs: Technology, Driver Assistance, HK Audio, Park Distance Control
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2018, 05:01 PM   #15
Max Well
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltidef32 View Post
I'm not sure for how many of you all making comments here are in your first BMW, but I've noticed a theme in most of these "wants" and that is, none of them involve driving dynamics; which is the primary reason to drive a BMW.

Some of these things listed will never happen with this brand, as others have responded on already. However, many of these tech or creature luxury requests just aren't BMW. Sure, the brand has tried to accommodate those new to BMW and its performance oriented ownership experience, but I detect some stubbornness and desire to turn their Bimmer into an Audi or Lexus; and that shit just ain't going to happen.

I was hoping to read of desires for more horsepower, a mechanical LSD, electric turbo, wider tires, no RFTs and performance rubber only, only sport and M sport packages, M Sport steering wheel only, larger standard wheels, lower ride height, maybe a beefier subwoofer, HUD as standard, etc.

You know, shit that actually matters when driving a BMW. So, am a bit disappointed fellas, but you have a right to your opinion, as do I.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts, rolltidef32. Would respectfully suggest a bit of caution on your assumptions for the driving interests of folks posting their 'wish list' items here in the G01 forum, though. For starters suspect many have been BMW Drivers for a number of years, and BMW's driving dynamics is already a given and is what has drawn most of us to the brand in the first place. My wife and I have owned 11 with a 12th (another G01 M40i) on the way, and doubt those with the interest in posting would be first-timers but I could be wrong.

And puzzled by your comments on 'tech and luxury' not 'being BMW'. If BMW has any hopes of staying current with the competition they know full well they have to remain at the top of the game in these areas as well as their engineering accomplishments. The days are long gone when a few die-hard driving afficionados are going to keep a company the size of BMW afloat. One just has to look at the high-end performance teams and see the products they are producing (Urus et al). They realize the market is changing and they are rising to meet the demands, and it is their new SUV/SAV offerings which many suggest are going to keep them afloat and turn the tide (no pun intended). To do otherwise, these firms will see profits and market share decrease, along with cashflow to spend on future R&D on their performance offerings (lots online about this trend).

There is an understandable (and applauded) desire by some for things to remain hard-core performance-only, but these upper echelon Mnfrs know that is not going to provide the capital they need to keep raising the bar. The request for more HP has been discussed at length in many threads, and it is known the B58 was coming for the M40i, and the F97 we're hoping to have at least 475 base with 500 or so with ZCP, so that isn't needed on a Wish List. Electric has already been noted as well. And BMW will always offer the RFTs, so one can add that to a Wish List but that isn't going to happen. The MSport wheel has also been discussed ad nauseum, but something happened to their supply line and it just didn't work for USA in 2018, but it better be there in 2019 (some threatened legal action even in 2018 apparently just over this). The 'larger standard wheels' is already a given in Canada where the M40i comes with the 21" (have no idea why the regional differences exist but they are across the board - somewhere in BMW's meetings they must know why these choices are made). 'Lower ride height' is already being addressed with the air suspension request - hard to have a generic, across-the-board request on a(n) SUV/SAV for lower height as a lot of folks do take these offroad (and see the G05 now even has an offroad package to go along with their air suspension). So the ride-height lowering to improve high-speed aero has already been discussed at length as well.

So yeah, a percentage of folks here are enjoying their M40i G01s, and some are looking forward to the F97 and hoping it comes ready to hit the track vs the F-Pace SVR and Urus for sure, but there are also a bunch who appreciate all the G01 has to offer who don't have to have (or desire to have) the items you mention. Doesn't mean they don't appreciate BMW's engineering and handling, just a different performance subset, understandable especially in the SUV/SAV realm.
Appreciate 1
      07-25-2018, 08:35 PM   #16
rolltidef32
National Championship #17 and Counting!
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW i3s and 2019 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Well View Post
Thanks for sharing your thoughts, rolltidef32. Would respectfully suggest a bit of caution on your assumptions for the driving interests of folks posting their 'wish list' items here in the G01 forum, though. For starters suspect many have been BMW Drivers for a number of years, and BMW's driving dynamics is already a given and is what has drawn most of us to the brand in the first place. My wife and I have owned 11 with a 12th (another G01 M40i) on the way, and doubt those with the interest in posting would be first-timers but I could be wrong.

And puzzled by your comments on 'tech and luxury' not 'being BMW'. If BMW has any hopes of staying current with the competition they know full well they have to remain at the top of the game in these areas as well as their engineering accomplishments. The days are long gone when a few die-hard driving afficionados are going to keep a company the size of BMW afloat. One just has to look at the high-end performance teams and see the products they are producing (Urus et al). They realize the market is changing and they are rising to meet the demands, and it is their new SUV/SAV offerings which many suggest are going to keep them afloat and turn the tide (no pun intended). To do otherwise, these firms will see profits and market share decrease, along with cashflow to spend on future R&D on their performance offerings (lots online about this trend).

There is an understandable (and applauded) desire by some for things to remain hard-core performance-only, but these upper echelon Mnfrs know that is not going to provide the capital they need to keep raising the bar. The request for more HP has been discussed at length in many threads, and it is known the B58 was coming for the M40i, and the F97 we're hoping to have at least 475 base with 500 or so with ZCP, so that isn't needed on a Wish List. Electric has already been noted as well. And BMW will always offer the RFTs, so one can add that to a Wish List but that isn't going to happen. The MSport wheel has also been discussed ad nauseum, but something happened to their supply line and it just didn't work for USA in 2018, but it better be there in 2019 (some threatened legal action even in 2018 apparently just over this). The 'larger standard wheels' is already a given in Canada where the M40i comes with the 21" (have no idea why the regional differences exist but they are across the board - somewhere in BMW's meetings they must know why these choices are made). 'Lower ride height' is already being addressed with the air suspension request - hard to have a generic, across-the-board request on a(n) SUV/SAV for lower height as a lot of folks do take these offroad (and see the G05 now even has an offroad package to go along with their air suspension). So the ride-height lowering to improve high-speed aero has already been discussed at length as well.

So yeah, a percentage of folks here are enjoying their M40i G01s, and some are looking forward to the F97 and hoping it comes ready to hit the track vs the F-Pace SVR and Urus for sure, but there are also a bunch who appreciate all the G01 has to offer who don't have to have (or desire to have) the items you mention. Doesn't mean they don't appreciate BMW's engineering and handling, just a different performance subset, understandable especially in the SUV/SAV realm.
Thank you Max Well and I will concur on many of the statements you give a few decent points, but there are a few assumptions that this forum has shown evidence of alternatives in reality.

Over the years, the performance oriented owner population has indeed shrunken, so pardon me for not giving up the good fight.

This is also not my first rodeo and have lost count of how many Bimmers I've had over the years and this number does not include those I grew up in going back to the mid 1970's. Yes, the world is very different now, but always remember that this marq has grown as others have desired to emulate the true enthusiasts, because of how we drive, look, and the impressions that we and our rides have made.

If you're a long time BMW driver, then the slow adoption of creature comforts and the history of spartan interiors should be nothing new to you. Audi were always known for their interior design as it masks the subpar FWD architecture and un-engaging drive that mean little to the uninitiated who drive them.

Yes, SUVs are the car of the day because of the American market, but what do we know? After all, this is the land of the Tahoe, F150, and until recently, the live rear axle Mustang. So, sure the American market has money to burn, but we aren't the smartest of drivers. (which is why YOU and I, and everyone else here drives German)

By the way, although I have a new G05 on order (wife), the G01 is the SUV I prefer, she just likes the Hog better for the kids.

As I said, to each his own, but I just occasionally remind posters of why they came to BMW to begin with.

Packs: Technology, Driver Assistance, HK Audio, Park Distance Control
Appreciate 0