BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-10-2018, 09:49 PM   #1
SimonB
135 to 335 M Sport to X3 30d M Sport
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 30d, optioned up!

Weird ASS issue

Hi guys 'n' girls,

Had my X3 30d since Dec and over the last few days I've found that the ASS (Auto Start/Stop) won't kick in. I've tried everything I can think of and it just constantly shows the crossed out symbol in the display and if you go into the appropriate page in iDrive, it shows "Engine Running: System Request" whenever ASS normally would initiate.

This would normally happen on a cold morning when the heating is on, or a hot day with the aircon on full, but none of that applies here. It's now been 3 days without ASS initiating, anyone got any theories on why this might be the case?

It's a bit colder at this time of year in Perth, West Australia, I was thinking that may have been it, but it's not THAT cold and it's 15C+ when I drive home, so ...
      07-10-2018, 10:49 PM   #2
Seaz
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: (2018,x3,m40) 2016,x3 2009,335

Your in sports mode
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2018, 11:20 PM   #3
SimonB
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaz View Post
Your in sports mode
LOL, I know you don't know me, but give me some credit - no, I'm not, I'm in Comfort, Eco or Adaptive. It's the same in any of those modes.
      07-11-2018, 12:46 AM   #4
verysideways
Lateral grip estimator
Rep
Drives: i4, M2

Garage List
Short journeys?
If the battery charge is below a certain level it won’t use the ASS.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2018, 01:22 AM   #5
nogren
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: G01 30d

Something must be wrong.
My F31 30d do ASS even in Swedish winter, < -5C, as long as all conditions are met. I.e. engine temperature is little bit warmer than cold start, and the passenger heating unit has done most of its work.

/n
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2018, 01:32 AM   #6
SimonB
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by verysideways View Post
Short journeys?
Possibly, but behaviour now is as it's been since Dec, so unlikely. But will see how it is after some long trips soon.
      07-11-2018, 01:33 AM   #7
SimonB
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogren View Post
Something must be wrong.
My F31 30d do ASS even in Swedish winter, < -5C, as long as all conditions are met. I.e. engine temperature is little bit warmer than cold start, and the passenger heating unit has done most of its work.
Thanks, I didn't think it was cold enough
      07-11-2018, 06:07 AM   #8
Boosh99
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40i & X1 xDrive25i

Haven't had car long enough to definitely say, but I have noticed on one or two drives to work while in eco pro mode it didn't shut off for extended periods which surprised me (as some previous drives turned off a lot). Pretty sure I went for nearly 20 minutes without it shutting off. I'm assuming there is some logic around battery, etc. I did have seat heaters on normal setting, but I may have moved them to full 100% power at some point, and wondered whether that did it?
In any case, it does still stop and start on other drives, so I've just put mine down to car saving itself.
But maybe if you are in start/stop traffic over many days then it might need a look at (do you get start/stop traffic in Perth?!?!? )
I'm petrol too, not diesel, but doubt that would make much diff.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2018, 06:43 AM   #9
Max Well
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 BG X3MC, '20 BSM X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by verysideways View Post
Short journeys?
Interesting idea which seems plausible. Every 3 weeks or so we plug the G01 into our BMW trickle charger and routinely it takes 16-24 hours to obtain a full 'green light' charge. If folks are driving in stop-start traffic the added drain of frequent engine starts, combined with the infotainment and HVAC system and USB charging, must produce significant battery drain.

I'll add a request for some way to check battery status in iDrive in the LCI Wish List (a % number like our mobile devices, not just 'good' or 'charged').
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2018, 01:40 AM   #10
drummerboy71
Enlisted Member
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: X5, 3.0dA (G05)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonB View Post
Hi guys 'n' girls,

Had my X3 30d since Dec and over the last few days I've found that the ASS (Auto Start/Stop) won't kick in. I've tried everything I can think of and it just constantly shows the crossed out symbol in the display and if you go into the appropriate page in iDrive, it shows "Engine Running: System Request" whenever ASS normally would initiate.

This would normally happen on a cold morning when the heating is on, or a hot day with the aircon on full, but none of that applies here. It's now been 3 days without ASS initiating, anyone got any theories on why this might be the case?

It's a bit colder at this time of year in Perth, West Australia, I was thinking that may have been it, but it's not THAT cold and it's 15C+ when I drive home, so ...

I have a similar issue; ASS won't kick in, no matter how long I drive or outside (and car) temperature is..... At the dealer they re-programmed the car and replaced the battery ..... no result yet... Car goes back to dealer next week... leaves me with an uncomfortable feeling "what is all wrong...."
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2018, 07:21 AM   #11
SimonB
Australia
Rep

I’ve been meaning to update this for a week - my ASS is back after I went for a couple of longer drives and made a point of having heating off for a while. So can only suggest that it was battery level, yes.
      07-24-2018, 12:12 AM   #12
Sea-Tac
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2108 X3 xDrive30i

Garage List
My money is on battery drain somewhere in the system. Take it back to the dealer. Let them sort it out.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 01:13 AM   #13
RichM50d
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ‘22 8 Series Gran Coupe

Quote:
I’ve been meaning to update this for a week - my ASS is back after I went for a couple of longer drives and made a point of having heating off for a while. So can only suggest that it was battery level, yes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea-Tac View Post
My money is on battery drain somewhere in the system. Take it back to the dealer. Let them sort it out.
Appreciate 1
SimonB163.50
      07-24-2018, 04:34 AM   #14
nxa
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: X3 G01 30d M Sport

Garage List
2018 BMW X3 30d  [0.00]
Quote:
It's not the PowerMagic thingy is it? I do a lot of stop/start (A LOT!) most days and big runs only now and again but haven't had the issue. And it's probably colder here on east coast so we have front and rear seat heating most of the time along with heating and two kids running iPads for hours a day...
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 09:49 AM   #15
SimonB
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by natd View Post
It's not the PowerMagic thingy is it? I do a lot of stop/start (A LOT!) most days and big runs only now and again but haven't had the issue.
It may be, I’ve turned it off for now. I wish there was an indication of battery charge level. The Powermagic never seems to shut my camera off before the battery protection kicks in. Maybe it’s faulty. Ho hum.