BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-15-2018, 03:54 PM   #1
grue19
Rep
Drives: x3 xdrive 30i

grille active louvers

wow so i cant believe that the grilles stary closed when its 90 degrees out and i pull into my garage shut the car off and end up heating the garage over and above heat gain from the weather etc.

this just cant be good to retain all that heat in the engine and not let it cool down qucker? heck or just parking it outside when i go to work.

i inow they open when in any of the sport modes but only when needed in comfort and eco pro. but then just stopping and parkung they close. hm.

or am i just over worrying?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2018, 03:57 PM   #2
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

You're over worrying. I've had my M40i for 6 months, I've only noticed the grills open once. It was 100F and I had been in stop and go traffic for over an hour, when I got home.
Appreciate 1
kozzi927.00
      07-15-2018, 04:34 PM   #3
RichM50d
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ‘22 8 Series Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
You're over worrying. I've had my M40i for 6 months, I've only noticed the grills open once. It was 100F and I had been in stop and go traffic for over an hour, when I got home.
How do you find the M40i after your M3?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2018, 08:36 PM   #4
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichM50d View Post
How do you find the M40i after your M3?
It’s quite nice. Still fun to drive, and the tech is much better. It’s also more comfortable, in the sense I’m not worried about something breaking every time I hit a pothole, and my ingress/egress is easier.
Appreciate 2
Slalom508.50
ando2000.50
      07-15-2018, 09:01 PM   #5
GT500R
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X3M

I wonder if a tune or coding could alter when the grille is open. I would prefer open more often then not for performance sake.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2018, 10:53 PM   #6
sinbad4
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT500R View Post
I wonder if a tune or coding could alter when the grille is open. I would prefer open more often then not for performance sake.
Peformance sake? Performance is better when grille is closed - better aerodynamics. Don't worry about the heat. This car does 3 things differently than any car I've owned or even read about before.
  • Heat sink retention. They actually designed engine to stay hot longer. The idea being that cold starts are hard on your car. After 3 months, I can attest that the car does stay warmer longer. After 9 hrs at office, it's engine still registers some heat. Don't know exactly how they do it.

• Turbo is actually water cooled. I haven't seen this before and I love it. Turbos typically add a ton of heat to an engine compartment. By water cooling turbo, whole engine compartment temperature is reduced and moderated. Forget the days of "Turbo Timers" to cool down engine so oil doesn't coke and varnish inside turbo. Also notable that this engine uses coolant for water-to-air intercooler instead of air-to-air intercooler - a much better solution, IMHO.

• Lastly, there is no thermostat, per se, anymore. B58 engine has a coolant router, so to speak, called the heat management module. It is a computer controlled module with various valves to route coolant as required - very different from the simple thermostat that opens to send coolant to radiator when temp reaches certain level. In addition to heat management module, there are two coolant pumps, one belt driven and one electric.

I have had my grilles stay open after driving my car while my car is turned off in the garage. Even though car was "off", grille was open, fans were on and you could hear electric coolant pump running.

Bottom line, the B58 is a great engine - it's smart and will take optimal car of itself.
Attached Images

Appreciate 10
ZHPsedan135.50
XXX3154.50
kamek357.50
ando2000.50
MechX3M40i1006.00
kozzi927.00
willjames709.00
      07-16-2018, 04:07 AM   #7
RocketRomeo
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinbad4 View Post
Peformance sake? Performance is better when grille is closed - better aerodynamics. Don't worry about the heat. This car does 3 things differently than any car I've owned or even read about before.
  • Heat sink retention. They actually designed engine to stay hot longer. The idea being that cold starts are hard on your car. After 3 months, I can attest that the car does stay warmer longer. After 9 hrs at office, it's engine still registers some heat. Don't know exactly how they do it.

• Turbo is actually water cooled. I haven't seen this before and I love it. Turbos typically add a ton of heat to an engine compartment. By water cooling turbo, whole engine compartment temperature is reduced and moderated. Forget the days of "Turbo Timers" to cool down engine so oil doesn't coke and varnish inside turbo. Also notable that this engine uses coolant for water-to-air intercooler instead of air-to-air intercooler - a much better solution, IMHO.

• Lastly, there is no thermostat, per se, anymore. B58 engine has a coolant router, so to speak, called the heat management module. It is a computer controlled module with various valves to route coolant as required - very different from the simple thermostat that opens to send coolant to radiator when temp reaches certain level. In addition to heat management module, there are two coolant pumps, one belt driven and one electric.

I have had my grilles stay open after driving my car while my car is turned off in the garage. Even though car was "off", grille was open, fans were on and you could hear electric coolant pump running.

Bottom line, the B58 is a great engine - it's smart and will take optimal car of itself.
Love this! Thank you for feeding my inner geek this beautiful Monday morning!
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2018, 04:08 AM   #8
RocketRomeo
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Can I ask where your technical diagrams are from? Are they BMW manual?

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2018, 07:31 AM   #9
ZHPsedan
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 750i

Garage List
2022 BMW 750i  [0.00]
You can geek out over the whole engine by reading the Technical Training document for the B58 https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1171642
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2018, 07:45 AM   #10
pskdude
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: x3m40i

Garage List
i live in South Florida, my grill is open ALL the time LOL.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2018, 12:24 PM   #11
GT500R
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinbad4 View Post

Unless you have empirical proof that performance is better when the grille is close - better aerodynamics is used for MPG and I highly doubt the gains are anywhere significant for performance (check Ford Edge active grille shutters and the 7% or so mpg they gain when closed), then its legitimately just for MPG.

I can care less about cold starts, I want the grille 100% open when full throttle so the system stays cooler and in turn cools my charged air more.

My 1997 Volvo had a Turbocharger that was water cooled, this is REALLY OLD NEWS... I hope this isn't new news to people

The cool part is the water-to-air intercooler, which is a proven better solution. And back to my point, keep the air flowing to the radiator to keep the air cooler to keep the charged air cooler.

That's neat.

Lastly here is what happens when you remove the shutter system in the Focus and where the idea came from -

Appreciate 1
      07-16-2018, 02:10 PM   #12
TxHornX3M40iGuy
TXHornX3M340iGuy
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White BMW X3 M40i

Quote:

Unless you have empirical proof that performance is better when the grille is close - better aerodynamics is used for MPG and I highly doubt the gains are anywhere significant for performance (check Ford Edge active grille shutters and the 7% or so mpg they gain when closed), then its legitimately just for MPG.

I can care less about cold starts, I want the grille 100% open when full throttle so the system stays cooler and in turn cools my charged air more.

My 1997 Volvo had a Turbocharger that was water cooled, this is REALLY OLD NEWS... I hope this isn't new news to people

The cool part is the water-to-air intercooler, which is a proven better solution. And back to my point, keep the air flowing to the radiator to keep the air cooler to keep the charged air cooler.

That's neat.

Lastly here is what happens when you remove the shutter system in the Focus and where the idea came from -

Yes because a Focus ST is where BMW owners should turn for inspiration. Call me unimpressed...
Appreciate 2
kozzi927.00
      07-16-2018, 05:47 PM   #13
RocketRomeo
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZHPsedan View Post
You can geek out over the whole engine by reading the Technical Training document for the B58 https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1171642
Awesome thanks! 🤓
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2018, 07:35 PM   #14
sinbad4
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:

That's cool. Volvo has had a lot of good tech over the years.

I don't want to get into some tit-for-tat argument or pissing contest. I doubt either of us has all the facts on this. If you honestly think removing the grille louvers will give you more HP, knock yourself out. It would be helpful (and scientific) if you would get before / after dyno runs, though it's prolly costly and time consuming - it would be interesting.

Keep in mind, from what I've seen, the diesel cars seem to not have shutters at all. Perhaps one of our 'd' drivers can confirm.. I've only seen pics onlilne.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2018, 10:32 PM   #15
XXX3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

This X3 M40i is my first BMW, and the intercooler heat soak surprised me. I was in very slow freeway traffic for 2 hours and when the lanes opened up I accelerated, and it was a dog. The outside air temp was a mild 68 degrees, but the 3 to 5 mph creep in LA traffic did not agree with this turbo intercooler. No harm, no foul I guess, but no power (temporarily). Anyone else experience this?
2013 Boss 302 Race Red (sold)

Last edited by XXX3; 07-16-2018 at 11:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 12:48 AM   #16
darrylo
Head Idiot
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 G01 X3 x30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXX3 View Post
This X3 M40i is my first BMW, and the intercooler heat soak surprised me. I was in very slow freeway traffic for 2 hours and when the lanes opened up I accelerated, and it was a dog. The outside air temp was a mild 68 degrees, but the 3 to 5 mph creep in LA traffic did not agree with this turbo intercooler. No harm, no foul I guess, but no power (temporarily). Anyone else experience this?
Were you accidentally in eco mode?
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 03:51 AM   #17
Zembla
Rep
Drives: X3 x30i

Sounds more like the transmission having adapted itself to walking pace traffic driving rather than any engine failing.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 10:19 AM   #18
XXX3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrylo View Post
Were you accidentally in eco mode?
I was in comfort mode. Power returned after a few miles of driving at 50-60+ mph.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 10:41 AM   #19
GT500R
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXX3 View Post
I was in comfort mode. Power returned after a few miles of driving at 50-60+ mph.
That's what we call heat soak... and your grille being closed doesn't help.
Appreciate 1
XXX3154.50
      07-17-2018, 11:07 AM   #20
XXX3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That's what we call heat soak... and your grille being closed doesn't help.
Thank you. The heat soak caused a significant power loss...felt like a 4 cyl. If there was ever a time the grills should have been open, it was during that 2 hour crawl.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 11:38 AM   #21
John Casey
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 18 X3 30i, 16 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
Only opened once? I will need to pay more attention to this. On a drive to the mountains the other day we stopped at the top and the grills were open (outside temp was in the mid 70s).
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 11:56 AM   #22
comber
Lieutenant
Spain
Rep
Drives: 2021 X4 M40i

Stupid question... how do you notice when the grills are opened while driving?
Appreciate 2
kozzi927.00
greg2step211.50