BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-16-2018, 01:22 PM   #1
Khatopito
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 - Ultimate Pkg- Canada

Status Code 181 - Domestic Desptach

Hello everyone,

It looks like my X3 is in status code 181. I live in Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada. If you don't know where Regina is, it is about 550 KMS from Winnipeg and about 750 KMS from Calgary. It is between these 2 cities or Regina is more or less in the center of the country. Ok enough about location.

So my question here is how they will bring the X3 from BMW South Carolina plant to small city like Regina? Dealership is in the Regina.

Do they (1) Truck from plant to Railway Station (2) Train from US to city in Canada and then (3) Truck from Railway station in Canada to Dealership in Regina?

Anyone living in Regina or nearby city please share whatever you know about how X3 gets delivered from BMW plant to dealership. Thank you very much
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2018, 01:57 PM   #2
RichM50d
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ‘22 8 Series Gran Coupe

I heard that they drive it, then wind the clocks back when it gets to the dealer!
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2018, 03:54 PM   #3
YYC Bimmer Driver
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 & 2018 X2

The conventional method is to load the car on a railcar in SC and then ship it to the dealer by rail. I do not know if the car is shipped directly to Regina from the plant or if the rail car is routed to a port such as Halifax where the vehicle clears customs and then is redirected to Regina.

I can tell you that shipping times have been awful. My car was seven weeks from production complete to delivery in Calgary. Transit time for another forum member in BC was over two months.

My SA advised that there was a rail car shortage this past winter and for a period of time, Canadian cars were being shipped from the plant by truck to the port and then to Halifax by boat before being loaded onto rail cars for their trip across Canada. I'm not sure if that is still the case. One car I was thinking about purchasing just showed up at the dealership this past week. It was built on April 24th.

In any event, your SA can check the internal BMW system once the car has been shipped. The BMW system will show an estimated delivery date. I am told that the internal date is pretty accurate (in my case, it was within a day). I also understand that sold cars are marked as a priority during the shipping process over unsold inventory vehicles.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 08:56 AM   #4
Khatopito
Private
Canada
Rep

Delivery time for Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYC Bimmer Driver View Post
The conventional method is to load the car on a railcar in SC and then ship it to the dealer by rail. I do not know if the car is shipped directly to Regina from the plant or if the rail car is routed to a port such as Halifax where the vehicle clears customs and then is redirected to Regina.

I can tell you that shipping times have been awful. My car was seven weeks from production complete to delivery in Calgary. Transit time for another forum member in BC was over two months.

My SA advised that there was a rail car shortage this past winter and for a period of time, Canadian cars were being shipped from the plant by truck to the port and then to Halifax by boat before being loaded onto rail cars for their trip across Canada. I'm not sure if that is still the case. One car I was thinking about purchasing just showed up at the dealership this past week. It was built on April 24th.

In any event, your SA can check the internal BMW system once the car has been shipped. The BMW system will show an estimated delivery date. I am told that the internal date is pretty accurate (in my case, it was within a day). I also understand that sold cars are marked as a priority during the shipping process over unsold inventory vehicles.

Thank you very much for quick response. I will call my dealer.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 08:57 AM   #5
Khatopito
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichM50d View Post
I heard that they drive it, then wind the clocks back when it gets to the dealer!
I like your hummer.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 09:03 AM   #6
Pray for Mojo
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i & 2018 X3 M40i

My March 15th build was delivered to me May 11th in Calgary. That included almost a week sitting in the rail car in Calgary and PDI time.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 01:03 PM   #7
Khatopito
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pray for Mojo View Post
My March 15th build was delivered to me May 11th in Calgary. That included almost a week sitting in the rail car in Calgary and PDI time.
I called BMW Canada Customer Service and they told me my X3 is shipped by Rail some where in Canada. She had no clue where in Canada. The only other thing she said that it could take up to 2 weeks. So if assume that it was shipped to Calgary then I am not sure how it will come to Regina, by train, by truck and How long. Anyway it is just waiting game now.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 01:18 PM   #8
Pray for Mojo
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i & 2018 X3 M40i

I doubt it would roll past Regina then go backward. If its coming by rail it goes up through Ohio and Michigan into Ontario then heads west.
Appreciate 0