BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-21-2018, 11:06 PM   #1
BeeMdblU
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: F86, F25, G16

X4 M40 VS Macan S/GTS

I posted the following in the X4 forum however as a slower forum I thought I'll post here as well, I apologize for the duplicate.

Hello Fellow forum members, before you tell me to use the search and it's already been discussed, hear me out please.
We're currently on the market to change my wife's X3, I have already on order an X4 M40 with all the bells and whistles that comes with it, however as we were leaving the dealership we passed by the Porsche's dealer across the street just to totally rule it out. My wife connected automatically with the Macan and she was really interested in it, my preference is the GTS but if I'm to compare $ for $ it'll be the S that we can afford. if we go the Macan route we'll be waiting for the facelift which should debut spring 2019, it'll most likely come with the new light design in the rear a redesigned front bumper and the new infotainment system. My wife's known to keep her cars in good shape and for a long period of time her F25 is 6 years old with about 50K miles, next week we're getting another 6 years warranty by a second party to keep the car in the family. Granted the X4 will be better equipped but I do like the fact that the macan has a very nice steering wheel and she can get it in metallic white unlike the X4. what's holding me off on the X4 is the fact that it's not coming with the M steering wheel however the X3 is, also within the year BMW will be introducing the B58 update with 380 horses and most likely idrive 7. I'm very loyal to the brand and I love it but BMW should manage vehicle introductions better, there's nothing worst than buying a vehicle just to find out 2 months later that they're introducing an updated version to your liking and you're missing out specially if it's not a lease, Am I silly thinking that way? I'm interested to see what other members think.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2018, 11:32 PM   #2
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

I was there once 4 years ago took the X4, now I am considering the Macan facelift after 17 years BMW the new X3/4 hasn’t brought it for me and need something different for new BMW interior is coming only to X5/6/7 which are too big. From an all around car the bimmer will be better, but if handling, interior quality is more important the Macan beats it easy. Remember the Macan is tiny though at the back if you buy don’t sKip the PSE. ( GTS May not be available at facelift launch this month)
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2018, 11:43 PM   #3
BeeMdblU
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X4guy View Post
I was there once 4 years ago took the X4, now I am considering the Macan facelift after 17 years BMW the new X3/4 hasn’t brought it for me and need something different for new BMW interior is coming only to X5/6/7 which are too big. From an all around car the bimmer will be better, but if handling, interior quality is more important the Macan beats it easy. Remember the Macan is tiny though at the back if you buy don’t sKip the PSE. ( GTS May not be available at facelift launch this month)
thank you for the feedback, I'm still new to Porsche's, if the PSE that you speak of the sport exhaust then yes I'd love to have it, it's standard on the GTS but about 3K on the S, in that case I might skip. You're right about the GTS not showing up at LCI launch, I'm waiting to see the order guide.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2018, 08:30 AM   #4
Richierich32
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d in White

Aplina X4D?
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2018, 09:04 AM   #5
K911
Rep
Drives: X3 30i

I love the Macan and would have bought one except that it did not have the tech I was after in a new car. I originally planned to wait for the new model, but predictions of its release were greatly exaggerated.

A friend has one about 3 years old and although they love it, it has not been trouble free. A few trips to the dealer over mostly electrical glitches. I've had a Boxster and currently own a 911, both of which have been trouble free, so maybe they'll get the bugs out.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2018, 01:43 PM   #6
Bimar
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by K911 View Post
I love the Macan and would have bought one except that it did not have the tech I was after in a new car. I originally planned to wait for the new model, but predictions of its release were greatly exaggerated.

A friend has one about 3 years old and although they love it, it has not been trouble free. A few trips to the dealer over mostly electrical glitches. I've had a Boxster and currently own a 911, both of which have been trouble free, so maybe they'll get the bugs out.
First 2 years of Macan reliability was crap, especially electricals and yes failed transfer cases. The Facelift Macan is touted to have the new Panamera infotainment which is as good as idrive, if not will not go there

My 4year old post ——>>> https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1038394

Last edited by Bimar; 07-22-2018 at 02:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2018, 01:47 PM   #7
BeeMdblU
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by K911 View Post

Hey K911, unfortunately I can't afford your line up of cars, so gotta combine a couple in one which would look good in few years as I would like to pass it on to my daughter and retain it's value, and like you said in terms of reliability it's a hit or miss for any car.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2018, 02:02 PM   #8
Tony
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Quote:
interior quality is more important the Macan beats it easy
IDK Materials didn't seem that much better, Macan doesn't have a digital dash, and all those butttons on the Mecan's interior are so 1980's. And the Mecan that performs as well as the M40i costs about $20k more than the BMW.

Last edited by Tony; 07-23-2018 at 03:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2018, 03:49 PM   #9
verysideways
Lateral grip estimator
Rep
Drives: i4, M2

Garage List
I've spent some time with the Macan S and Macan Turbo PP (and driven the GTS briefly), and have spent a little time in an X3 M40i (and have one on order).

My 2 cents, for what it's worth:

- The Macan looks great and sounds good, rides really well despite cornering flat. The steering feel is great for an SUV, and the seats are comfortable. The X3 M40i sounds better (to me at least), rides better in comfort and comparably in sport, and is quieter as regards NVH. So it should, it was developed much more recently. Ok, it may not handle quite as well, but the difference would be close enough that driver skill would make much more difference than which of the two vehicles you were in.

- The Macan is absolutely not practical for two adults and two young children, the kids' seats barely fit in the back (and my wife and i are not tall people!), and the luggage space is barely adequate for the weekly shop, certainly no use for a week away. The X3 is much larger in the front, in the back seats, and in the boot/trunk.

- The Macan clocks are good, but they're not better than the X3 digital cockpit, either in function or aesthetically, and the centre console and infotainment system look like they're from the flight deck of a 1990's commercial airliner - outdated and extremely "busy". You have to take your eyes off the road A LOT to use the centre console on the Macan.

I'd been intending to replace my 340i wagon with a Macan GTS at some point, simply because the only other contender for me was an SQ5 (so boring to drive) or an F25 35d, and i'm not a diesel fan.
Even if the Macan GTS was the same money as the X3 M40i with like-for-like spec, i'd still choose the X3. In reality the Macan would cost around 20% more with like-for-like spec, which is absurd for something which feels older and is smaller and slower and thirstier. The Macan Turbo PP, lovely as it was, came in at almost exactly 80% more than i am paying for my X3.

To put that into context; i could buy a Macan Turbo PP, or i could buy an X3 M40i and have enough change to buy a 3 month old M2. That's quite the value proposition.

I used to evangelise about the Macan... but the game has moved on.
'02 Morgan Aero 8
http://petrolhead.tours
Appreciate 3
DigiSage143.00
ando2000.50
      07-25-2018, 10:11 AM   #10
Bimar
Colonel
Rep

The Macan facelift launched today
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-25-2018, 03:23 PM   #11
RichM50d
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ‘22 8 Series Gran Coupe

Quote:
Meh! Hardly a massive change, is it?
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2018, 05:33 PM   #12
Tony
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Quote:
Even if this redesign were available back in March I still would not have purchased it. Still too small on the inside, still not enough performance when you compare the Macan model that is priced like the BMW M40i against the BMW M40i, still no fully digital dash, and still has the same fussy center console. Also the BMW inline 6's are smoother and more exclusive than a V6.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2018, 05:41 PM   #13
mjdth
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Those new tail lights look a lot like the Lincoln MKX. Liked the previous ones better.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2018, 09:21 PM   #14
TreDirtyFive
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
Even if this redesign were available back in March I still would not have purchased it. Still too small on the inside, still not enough performance when you compare the Macan model that is priced like the BMW M40i against the BMW M40i, still no fully digital dash, and still has the same fussy center console. Also the BMW inline 6's are smoother and more exclusive than a V6.
I find all the snickering and scoffing on the Macan quite hilarious actually. But then again it is a BMW forum.

BMW fans hearken on Driving-Dynamics & if you are reading this thread then you obviously care about the fact that the M40i is touted as a "Performance Crossover." I understand the hoopla with space and practicality in this segment...but let's not kid ourselves. We got this car because it's the athletic version of the series and we want to have some fun and swagger while still holding onto some utility. Hence, we will naturally compare it to comparable cars with similar athleticism. With that said...my M40i has been somewhat of a nightmare so far. 1st iteration blues.

So far, my M40i has been in the shop for tons of issues including; major wind noise, muffler vibration which required a full replacement of my silencer and alignment issues. Don't get me started on how loud the tires are but I blame it on the crappo Bridgestones.

If you just want more space or just want to keep the price down then the M40i is the one. Otherwise, I had a Macan GTS for over a week and I'm confident it will eat the my M40i for breakfast, lunch and dinner on a track or even on a highway for that matter. Please don't say "just get a JB4 and you'll roast it" I know Terry pretty well and outright speed is not always the answer if you ask me.

The 0-60 weener swinging doesn't mean much to me either. That's for internet magazine racers to hoot and holler about. Yes, the X3 may be a better value and get better mileage but if you have the means, the Macan S is not only comparable to the M40i in 0-60, 1/4 mile, and braking but will wipe the floor with the M40i in the corners and has gobs more balance and a much higher payload capacity as well. A full digital Speedo is why you wouldn't get one? Pleeeease. The M40i will depreciate faster than a 10 dollar whore compared to a Macan. Overall, it just feels way more special than the M40i to me...in the same way a Velar feels more special, even in 4 cylinder form.

I also love the steering feel and how compliant and quiet the Macan is for everyday driving. I got my crossover for "just that" and wanted a little sportiness on tap when I felt like playing a bit. The M40i is great and I chose it for the extra cargo capability since I do a lot of camping and desert jaunts and I will assume many will choose it for the same reason. But I believe it is still very rough around the edges imho.

I think the GTS is on a whole other level of performance in terms of balance and with the most recent updates it has got the M40i by the balls in spades. The Macan Turbo is matched with the X3M so that is another conversation.

Trying to be objective since I do enjoy my M40i so don't take this as hate. Merely laughing at all the haters spewing behind the BMW bravado Veil.

Last edited by TreDirtyFive; 07-26-2018 at 11:30 PM..
Appreciate 2
Gudus16.50
Bimar799.50
      07-25-2018, 09:36 PM   #15
BeeMdblU
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreDirtyFive View Post
I find all the snickering and scoffing on the Macan quite hilarious actually. But then again it is a BMW forum.

So far, my M40i has been in the shop for tons of issues including; major wind noise, muffler vibration which required a full replacement of my silencer and alignment issues. Don't get me started on how loud the tires are but I blame it on the crappo Bridgestones.

If you just want more space or just want to keep the price down then the M40i is the one. Otherwise, I had a Macan GTS for over a week and I'm confident it will eat the my M40i for breakfast, lunch and dinner on a track or even on a highway for that matter. Please don't say "just get a JB4 and you'll roast it" I know Terry pretty well and outright speed is not always the answer if you ask me.

The 0-60 weener swinging doesn't mean much to me either. That's for internet magazine racers to hoot and holler about. Yes, the X3 may be a better value and get better mileage but if you have the means, the Macan S is not only comparable to the M40i in 0-60, 1/4 mile, and braking but will wipe the floor with the M40i in the corners and has gobs more balance and a much higher payload capacity as well. A full digital Speedo is why you wouldn't get one? Pleeeease. The M40i will depreciate faster than a 10 dollar whore compared to a Macan. Overall, it just feels way more special than the M40i to mel...in the same way a Velar feels more special, even in 4 cylinder form.

I also love the steering feel and how compliant and quiet the Macan is for everyday driving. I got my crossover for "just that" and wanted a little sportiness on tap when I felt like playing a bit. The M40i is great and I chose it for the extra cargo capability since I do a lot of camping and desert jaunts and I will assume many will choose it for the same reason. But I believe it is still very rough around the edges imho.

I think the GTS is on a whole other level of performance in terms of balance and with the most recent updates it has got the M40i by the ball in spades. The Turbo is matched with the X3M so that is another conversation.

Trying to be objective since I do enjoy my M40i so don't take this as hate. Merely laughing at all the haters spewing behind the BMW bravado Veil.
I was looking for such insights from real and transparent members. I feel the same, when I sat in the macan and held the steering it was a game changer for me, I felt the X4 was outdated even before I got it and for a car I'm willing to hold on to for the next 8-10 years it had to be worth it. I love BMW's and will remain true to the brand I have an F15 and plan to replace it by another when the time is up in a year.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2018, 09:42 PM   #16
treky11
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 panamera

We have both a 2018 X3 M40i and a 2016 Macan GTS.

IMO, they are different vehicles. The Macan is definitely a sportier more race oriented vehicle. Its also smaller and designed with the track in mind, its not laden with tech, but no Porsche is really.

The BMW is larger inside, better tech and more comfortable for long trips. Its still a sporty ride but its not Porsche, but do you really want/need that?

Pick one based on your preferences, drive both, they are both amazing vehicles and you can't go wrong with either. They are just different and depends upon what you want, and a lot of that may come down to personal preference.

No hate here, love both. We are lucky to be fortunate enough to have make such tough choices.
Appreciate 1
ZHPsedan135.50
      07-25-2018, 09:52 PM   #17
BeeMdblU
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by treky11 View Post
We have both a 2018 X3 M40i and a 2016 Macan GTS.

IMO, they are different vehicles. The Macan is definitely a sportier more race oriented vehicle. Its also smaller and designed with the track in mind, its not laden with tech, but no Porsche is really.

The BMW is larger inside, better tech and more comfortable for long trips. Its still a sporty ride but its not Porsche, but do you really want/need that?

Pick one based on your preferences, drive both, they are both amazing vehicles and you can't go wrong with either. They are just different and depends upon what you want, and a lot of that may come down to personal preference.

No hate here, love both. We are lucky to be fortunate enough to have make such tough choices.
yeah took everything you mentioned here into consideration, I love the GTS but not sure it'll be introduced with the face lift so might have to settle for an S. The car is my wife's and usually she's alone in the car, I have an F15 and as a family we usually use my car.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2018, 10:33 PM   #18
car_fan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 F97 X3M

Garage List
2020 BMW X3M  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreDirtyFive View Post

The 0-60 weener swinging doesn't mean much to me either. That's for internet magazine racers to hoot and holler about. Yes, the X3 may be a better value and get better mileage but if you have the means, the Macan S is not only comparable to the M40i in 0-60, 1/4 mile, and braking but will wipe the floor with the M40i in the corners and has gobs more balance and a much higher payload capacity as well. A full digital Speedo is why you wouldn't get one? Pleeeease. The M40i will depreciate faster than a 10 dollar whore compared to a Macan. Overall, it just feels way more special than the M40i to me...in the same way a Velar feels more special, even in 4 cylinder form.

I think the GTS is on a whole other level of performance in terms of balance and with the most recent updates it has got the M40i by the balls in spades. The Macan Turbo is matched with the X3M so that is another conversation.

I can understand that the issues you have experienced with your G01 diminishes your overall satisfaction. It would for me as well. That being said, I have spent time with both the Macan S/GTS as well. But let’s not over exaggerate a Macan S will not stand a chance against an M40i, and most tests “on both sides of the pond” by the numbers have it beating the GTS as well. Outright handling goes to the Macan GTS. Although, I don’t think they have been compared against each other on track yet. Additionally, as nice as the Macan is, it rides on the previous generation Audi Q5 platform that was released around 2009. It’s also a smaller vehicle. Is it worth 20k more fully loaded?- nah not to me. And again I do like the Macan GTS and Turbo. If there was no M40i, I might have made the consession and took the hit. I was close to doing so a while back.

At the end of the day the G01 target demographic is much broader.
2018 X3 M40i BSM/Oyster/ZPP/ZPX/HK/S6CPA/718M(retired)
Appreciate 1
pcmike144.00
      07-26-2018, 07:21 AM   #19
BMWX3DRIVER
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3

While I do not need anything large like X5, Macan's interior space is very cramped and only comparable to vehicles like GLA.
To me, Q5 to Macan is like X1 to X2.
A more expensive version of first generation Q5, better handling with sacrifice in size/space.
Especially the trunk space - it's even smaller than X2.
Macan: 17.7 cubic ft
X2: 21.6 cubic ft

Macan is no more practical than GLA, and I believe one of the main reasons you/we are driving X3, not X1 or X2 or 3 or 4 series, is practicality and utility.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2018, 11:07 AM   #20
Myk-D
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40i & Honda CRV Sport

I'm always confused when people say that one SUV will track better than another. Who seriously buys an SUV to take to the track? It might be fun taking it to a track once for a laugh, but you don't buy a car to live with day-to-day on that basis.

If you're in the market for an SUV surely you need a certain amount of practicality? The Macan is a great car but you're almost cross-shopping against coupes; it's effectively the same interior space but with an increased ride height.

So I'd suggest that if you can live with the interior space of a Macan, and can afford one, then you might as will buy it. I'm sure you'll love it. But if it's not big enough inside for your everyday needs then it rules itself out anyway.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2018, 02:04 PM   #21
Bimar
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichM50d View Post
Meh! Hardly a massive change, is it?
Interior massive upgrade
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2018, 07:32 PM   #22
Bimar
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMdblU View Post
yeah took everything you mentioned here into consideration, I love the GTS but not sure it'll be introduced with the face lift so might have to settle for an S. The car is my wife's and usually she's alone in the car, I have an F15 and as a family we usually use my car.
Consider the New Cayenne too, may not drive as well, but it’s now modern.
Appreciate 0