BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-23-2018, 03:28 PM   #1
thestuarts
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

2019 X3 M40i "M Sport Differential" requires performance tires

I recently ordered a 2019 X3 M40i with the "M Sport Differential" option (2T4), but the dealer told me option 2T4 requires ordering option (Z2A) which is the 19" M Double-spoke bi-color wheels with the performance run flat tires.

That requirement is not listed in X3 Pricing Guide dated July 05, 2018.

Has anyone been able to order option 2T4 without the Z2A tires? I was hoping I could get option 22U which is the 19" all-season run flat tires.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2018, 03:55 PM   #2
verysideways
Lateral grip estimator
Rep
Drives: i4, M2

Garage List
Probably not of use to you but could be ammunition - for the UK the diff has become standard as part of the MY19 spec for the M40i, and here the M40i comes as standard with the 20" wheels and runflats.
20" high performance (non runflat) tyres are available, but are not required for the diff.

So what you are being told could be a region specific requirement but is not a technical requirement.
'02 Morgan Aero 8
http://petrolhead.tours
Appreciate 1
      07-23-2018, 05:09 PM   #3
thestuarts
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I noticed the Pricing Guide states:
Option Z2A will add option 840 to the order. Option 840 is "Increased top speed limiter."
Maybe I shouldn't complain about option Z2A.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 02:12 AM   #4
OJ MINI
Private
Rep
Drives: M3 G80 X-Drive

Why almost every American wants to use all-season tires ??
I just don't get it, in summer they suck, in winter they suck. They suck all-season
Appreciate 4
      07-24-2018, 02:44 AM   #5
MarkyM
Major
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by verysideways View Post
Probably not of use to you but could be ammunition - for the UK the diff has become standard as part of the MY19 spec for the M40i, and here the M40i comes as standard with the 20" wheels and runflats.
20" high performance (non runflat) tyres are available, but are not required for the diff.

So what you are being told could be a region specific requirement but is not a technical requirement.
In the UK we get what the US call performance run flat tyres as standard already which I assume means summer tyres rather than all seasons

Strange one though, can't see what difference the tyres should make?
Appreciate 1
      07-24-2018, 07:55 AM   #6
skier219
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i, M2C, Ferrari 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by OJ MINI View Post
I just don't get it, in summer they suck, in winter they suck. They suck all-season
Summer tires get very hard in cold temperatures and can be a problem in winter -- they can actually become unsafe at very low temperatures because of the loss of dry traction. All-seasons aren't great, and may not offer much better traction in snow/ice, but the rubber stays softer in cold temperatures and will perform better on dry roads.
Appreciate 1
      07-24-2018, 03:16 PM   #7
MrPorter
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i, 2020 X7 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestuarts View Post
I recently ordered a 2019 X3 M40i with the "M Sport Differential" option (2T4), but the dealer told me option 2T4 requires ordering option (Z2A) which is the 19" M Double-spoke bi-color wheels with the performance run flat tires.

That requirement is not listed in X3 Pricing Guide dated July 05, 2018.

Has anyone been able to order option 2T4 without the Z2A tires? I was hoping I could get option 22U which is the 19" all-season run flat tires.
Do you have a copy of that pricing guide? I was working off of the one from 5/24 in the sticky Build thread.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 03:34 PM   #8
Aaaaaaaaa
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: The other M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestuarts View Post
I noticed the Pricing Guide states:
Option Z2A will add option 840 to the order. Option 840 is "Increased top speed limiter."
Maybe I shouldn't complain about option Z2A.
Have fun going 155+ mph in a SUV sorry SAV
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 06:53 PM   #9
dubveex3
Rep
Drives: MY20 X3 M40i

Quote:
I hear you, but where I live, there are some weeks that I think we get all four season. Changing tires that often is just too much of a pain.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 08:28 PM   #10
Sea-Tac
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2108 X3 xDrive30i

Garage List
Quote:
I totally agree. They are marginal in extremes of heat and cold. Dedicated tires for each season is the way I go.
Appreciate 1
      07-24-2018, 10:46 PM   #11
thestuarts
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You have a good point. I will get the summer tires now, and buy some winter tires and rims. Thank you for the advice.
Appreciate 1
OJ MINI66.00
      07-24-2018, 10:55 PM   #12
thestuarts
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPorter View Post
Do you have a copy of that pricing guide? I was working off of the one from 5/24 in the sticky Build thread.
Yes. I have a PDF copy I can share. What is the proper way to share files on this forum?
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2018, 02:36 AM   #13
OJ MINI
Private
Rep
Drives: M3 G80 X-Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier219 View Post
Summer tires get very hard in cold temperatures and can be a problem in winter -- they can actually become unsafe at very low temperatures because of the loss of dry traction. All-seasons aren't great, and may not offer much better traction in snow/ice, but the rubber stays softer in cold temperatures and will perform better on dry roads.
Yeah, I know how tires works In Europe we generally have winter tires from November to April and then summer tires. And nobody have a problem
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2018, 10:01 AM   #14
Lanthanides
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:

Hi,

I'm new on the forum and I am interested by this topic regarding the Sport Diff.

I ordered a X3 M40i last February in UK. At this time, the Sport Diff was not available, even as an option.
In the August pricelist document, the Diff Sport seems to be standard on both M40i and 40d.

Do you know when these modifications will be take into account ? My X3 should be built week 34 (20th of August). Do you think that there is a chance that the Sport Diff will be installed anyway ?

Thanks a lot !
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2018, 11:18 AM   #15
MarkyM
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanthanides View Post
Quote:

Hi,

I'm new on the forum and I am interested by this topic regarding the Sport Diff.

I ordered a X3 M40i last February in UK. At this time, the Sport Diff was not available, even as an option.
In the August pricelist document, the Diff Sport seems to be standard on both M40i and 40d.

Do you know when these modifications will be take into account ? My X3 should be built week 34 (20th of August). Do you think that there is a chance that the Sport Diff will be installed anyway ?

Thanks a lot !
Congrats on your order, that is a long wait but will be worth it

If dealer doesn't know you can use the chat option on BMW website and ask the genius if it is on your build, I had a query on my order at start of year with confusion over the sensatec dash being stated as standard in one place but optional in another, dealer couldn't confirm but genius had it on their system and confirmed it was standard

The other way is when car goes into build and you get vin number you can confirm specs on a site such as mdecoder or Bmwvin

Good luck, let us know how you get on
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2018, 11:47 AM   #16
verysideways
Lateral grip estimator
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Hi,

Thanks a lot !
If it's a UK spec car and it's being built that late in August then it's a MY19 car, which means the sport diff should be standard.
As above though, a quick chat with a bmw genius should confirm that.
'02 Morgan Aero 8
http://petrolhead.tours
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2018, 12:31 PM   #17
Lanthanides
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks for this advice.

So I've contacted BMW Genius via the UK website and the guy told me that M Sport Diff will be fitted on my car... I cross my fingers that he's right and will check that in a few weeks when I will receive my VIN.
If yes, it's a very good news to have this item whereas it was not available when I ordered the car, like a free option

I now need to check the Sensatec dashboard. It was standard when I ordered the car (written on my order) but now it is an option. So maybe my car won't be fitted with Sensatec... anyway, I prefer to have the Sport Diff
Appreciate 1
dskurth41.50
      07-25-2018, 12:36 PM   #18
MarkyM
Major
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for this advice.

So I've contacted BMW Genius via the UK website and the guy told me that M Sport Diff will be fitted on my car... I cross my fingers that he's right and will check that in a few weeks when I will receive my VIN.
If yes, it's a very good news to have this item whereas it was not available when I ordered the car, like a free option

I now need to check the Sensatec dashboard. It was standard when I ordered the car (written on my order) but now it is an option. So maybe my car won't be fitted with Sensatec... anyway, I prefer to have the Sport Diff
That's no problem, glad it was good news, If sensatec dash is on you order it should be included, that was the query I had, it was listed as standard equipment but in price list shown as a £450 extra but that was incorrect, the latest price list is still showing it as a option yet under M40i model highlights lists it as included
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2018, 12:55 PM   #19
Lanthanides
Enlisted Member
Rep

Yes you're right, I didn't noticed that in the latest price list.
Sensatec is included in M40i/d highlights but in the detail equipments list, it comes as an option... and the opposite for the M Sport Diff...

Finally, I'm very glad and lucky with my order and the fact that it has been slightly delayed to become a MY2019 model, lower price and better equipment !

Thanks again, need to be patient now, delivery estimated end of september/ 1st week october
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2018, 01:05 PM   #20
UK_
Captain
Rep
Drives: 911

Quote:
Yes you're right, I didn't noticed that in the latest price list.
Sensatec is included in M40i/d highlights but in the detail equipments list, it comes as an option... and the opposite for the M Sport Diff...

Finally, I'm very glad and lucky with my order and the fact that it has been slightly delayed to become a MY2019 model, lower price and better equipment !

Thanks again, need to be patient now, delivery estimated end of september/ 1st week october
Not all good news I’m afraid, first year road tax increases by around £410 due to higher emissions.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2018, 01:31 PM   #21
verysideways
Lateral grip estimator
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by UK_ View Post
Not all good news I’m afraid, first year road tax increases by around £410 due to higher emissions.
Worth it for the diff 😁
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2018, 03:46 PM   #22
Lanthanides
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UK_ View Post
I'm from France, so I'm not impacted by this tax, but we have others to pay in France anyway
Appreciate 0