BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-30-2018, 04:25 PM   #1
Fenders
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 xDrive30i

xDrive torque distribution display?

I assumed that "xDrive Status" would show the actual impact of xDrive, but in my new X3, a 2018 xLine 30i, it seems to only offer the side/side front/back/ tilts and compass. After searching the forums, I've seen videos of other models where an iDrive torque distribution view was available via split screen. Are not all xDrive Statuses created equal? Is there a procedure to enable this view that I am missing, or can it be added through coding?

I'm curious partly because my X3 actually feels less rear-biased accelerating out of slow corners than our 2011 Audi Q5, which I believe defaults to 50/50. I'd like to see what's actually happening.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2018, 02:38 PM   #2
stelthy
1 Series Wanna-Be
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

I am also curious about this. My M-Sport 30i doesn't seem to display torque distribution either.

I also agree that there seems to be more front wheel engagement. In fact, I can hear a quick squeal from the front tires when punching it from a stop on a left turn.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2018, 03:19 PM   #3
M40iGuy
Building http://x3M40i.com
Canada
Rep
Drives: '18 M40i

I'm also interested to see if we can see a display of the torque vectoring / power output.

I've only seen the same screen as you.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2018, 04:15 PM   #4
Fenders
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 xDrive30i

BMW Genius line just told me that iDrive 6.0 eliminated that older xDrive torque view. I told them to pass along to their product managers that "xDrive Status" is now a misnomer...

I'm still happier with the X3 than I would have been with a new RDX, but Acura includes a neat torque vectoring screen.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2018, 12:26 AM   #5
nogren
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: G01 30d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenders View Post
BMW Genius line just told me that iDrive 6.0 eliminated that older xDrive torque view. I told them to pass along to their product managers that "xDrive Status" is now a misnomer...

I'm still happier with the X3 than I would have been with a new RDX, but Acura includes a neat torque vectoring screen.
This sounds that there might be hope with some coding... hopefully I can find it when I get my car...
      08-01-2018, 07:23 AM   #6
skier219
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i, M2C, Ferrari 328

I occasionally looked at the SH-AWD display on our MDX, but it was mostly just a way to satisfy my curiosity in certain situations, like driving up a mountain road. However, I'm a mechanical engineer so I am not "normal", and I would bet most people ignore that display or don't know what it means. That probably makes it an easy target to drop if BMW software developers are deciding what to include.

I never can tell what their priorities are, honestly. They seem to bounce around between typical German "control freak" and typical software developer "dumb it down for the masses". Some settings are so arcane only a German engineer would want them, while in other areas they seem to go to Apple levels of user friendliness (ie, decide for you what you should see).

Last edited by skier219; 08-01-2018 at 07:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2018, 07:48 AM   #7
Dave_NF
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 G01

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier219 View Post
I occasionally looked at the SH-AWD display on our MDX, but it was mostly just a way to satisfy my curiosity in certain situations, like driving up a mountain road. However, I'm a mechanical engineer so I am not "normal", and I would bet most people ignore that display or don't know what it means. That probably makes it an easy target to drop if BMW software developers are deciding what to include.

I never can tell what their priorities are, honestly. They seem to bounce around between typical German "control freak" and typical software developer "dumb it down for the masses". Some settings are so arcane only a German engineer would want them, while in other areas they seem to go to Apple levels of user friendliness (ie, decide for you what you should see).
I aint a Mechanical Engineer but I´m a Quality Engineer and therefore I like data
For me having the possibility to gather data is a must have, unfortunately Idrive 6 has been downgraded. For example I cant see anymore the tyre temperature (only on the M4.0i), I cant see torque distribution and the efficient dynamics screen is just insufficient compared to the previous one.
If possible I would go back to Idrive 5.

Dave
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2018, 08:01 AM   #8
RocketRomeo
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_NF View Post
I aint a Mechanical Engineer but I´m a Quality Engineer and therefore I like data
For me having the possibility to gather data is a must have, unfortunately Idrive 6 has been downgraded. For example I cant see anymore the tyre temperature (only on the M4.0i), I cant see torque distribution and the efficient dynamics screen is just insufficient compared to the previous one.
If possible I would go back to Idrive 5.

Dave
Tyre temperature on the M40i? I haven’t seen this..
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2018, 08:11 AM   #9
Dave_NF
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 G01

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketRomeo View Post
Tyre temperature on the M40i? I haven’t seen this..
https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/at...6&d=1530147684
Appreciate 0