BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > M2 M Perf Exhaust vs M2C OEM Exhaust

08-07-2018, 02:03 PM   #1
bdogk
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2CS,M4GTS,'21-X3

M2 M Perf Exhaust vs M2C OEM Exhaust

I have MPE on my current M2 and after a number of autocrosses and track days, the exhaust has really opened up. It sounds just wonderful.

So I'm wondering if anyone has compared it to the OEM M2 Competition exhaust, or even the MPE that's supposed to be available for Canada/US market.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2018, 02:06 PM   #2
aftercompletion
Break My Window
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 M2

M2C exhaust is not as nice sounding as the stock M2 exhaust so you can probably extrapolate from there.

Nobody's heard the MPE for the M2 comp and it's kind of a mystery on how it's gonna work with the noise/valve laws in Europe now. Some insider was saying it might not be released until late this year/early 2019.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2018, 02:15 PM   #3
Kleinacus
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C 6MT Build Week 33

Can anyone who had the MPE installed on their OG m2 at a BMW dealer either post the price here or PM me? I'm just curious what ballpark I'm looking at. I know the price will be different for the m2c but I'm just looking for a floor on price.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2018, 02:27 PM   #4
aftercompletion
Break My Window
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleinacus View Post
Can anyone who had the MPE installed on their OG m2 at a BMW dealer either post the price here or PM me? I'm just curious what ballpark I'm looking at. I know the price will be different for the m2c but I'm just looking for a floor on price.
Ballpark has always been around $4k with tips.

You can expect the M2C to be more expensive than that based on the part prices that have been released.
Appreciate 1
Kleinacus671.00
      08-07-2018, 02:32 PM   #5
Kleinacus
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aftercompletion View Post
Ballpark has always been around $4k with tips.

You can expect the M2C to be more expensive than that based on the part prices that have been released.
Much appreciated. I was expecting 4500 to 5000 installed so that info does help.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2018, 03:00 PM   #6
Free Spirit
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

What's the point of the 6k MPE for the M2C? All that's going to do is amplify the stock "different" sounding exhaust..

Just as thousands of F80/82 owners have already done; just suck it up and accept it for what it already sounds like..
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2018, 03:03 PM   #7
Slaney
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C

i’m curious to see what akropovic comes up with. Let me know if I’m wrong but if i recall it seemed to be one of the few that actually touted a performance gain with the previous M2...and it sounded awesome
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2018, 03:10 PM   #8
Kleinacus
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyF87 View Post
What's the point of the 6k MPE for the M2C? All that's going to do is amplify the stock "different" sounding exhaust..

Just as thousands of F80/82 owners have already done; just suck it up and accept it for what it already sounds like..
It also gets rid of (or at least makes black) the eye sore that is that giant muffler. That along with the slight weight reduction, addition of the rear CF diffuser, and slightly better sound are all worth it for me. I actually don't mind the sound of the m2c US spec in sport+ (at least what i've heard in youtube vids) so this is more of an all around improvement than just me crying about the S55 exhaust note. I feel like this is a safer move than just painting the muffler black.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2018, 03:26 PM   #9
Free Spirit
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Quote:

It also gets rid of (or at least makes black) the eye sore that is that giant muffler. That along with the slight weight reduction, addition of the rear CF diffuser, and slightly better sound are all worth it for me. I actually don't mind the sound of the m2c US spec in sport+ (at least what i've heard in youtube vids) so this is more of an all around improvement than just me crying about the S55 exhaust note. I feel like this is a safer move than just painting the muffler black.
Oh yea, the M2C stock muffler does look hideous..

And I think I read only the end piece are titanium i.e. weight reduction..

Look, I am not bashing the concept, if it helps, I'm all for it but so far I don't see much value vs the asking price.. I'll reserve judgement until someone does an amateur review..

They are asking $6k just for the exhaust only, the tips appear to be a separate part number.. Yikes..
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2018, 03:38 PM   #10
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 981 Cayman GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Oh yea, the M2C stock muffler does look hideous..

And I think I read only the end piece are titanium i.e. weight reduction..

Look, I am not bashing the concept, if it helps, I'm all for it but so far I don't see much value vs the asking price.. I'll reserve judgement until someone does an amateur review..

They are asking $6k just for the exhaust only, the tips appear to be a separate part number.. Yikes..
No, it's $6K with the tips and that's just MSRP. Many of us paid invoice or below invoice (around $4500) for the whole thing including the tips. Also, the sound difference it makes is pretty significant. Yes, it'll never sound as good as N55 but I was still quite happy with the MPE on my M4.

Appreciate 3
      08-07-2018, 04:16 PM   #11
Kleinacus
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cntzl View Post
No, it's $6K with the tips and that's just MSRP. Many of us paid invoice or below invoice (around $4500) for the whole thing including the tips. Also, the sound difference it makes is pretty significant. Yes, it'll never sound as good as N55 but I was still quite happy with the MPE on my M4.
And just to confirm, that ~$4,500 "whole thing including tips" also includes install, right? Again, I realize these numbers are for the m2, not m2c, and will likely be higher.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2018, 04:25 PM   #12
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
And just to confirm, that ~$4,500 "whole thing including tips" also includes install, right? Again, I realize these numbers are for the m2, not m2c, and will likely be higher.
$4500 for M3/M4 MPE from a dealer only includes the exhaust and the CF tips not the install. I ordered mine with the car at invoice for $4800 as a port install so my I didn't have to pay anything extra for the install. I have no idea how much the MPE is gonna cost for M2C.

Again $4500 negotiated price (vs the $6K MSRP) is for M3/M4 MPE not M2.
Appreciate 1
      08-07-2018, 04:34 PM   #13
Kleinacus
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
$4500 for M3/M4 MPE from a dealer only includes the exhaust and the CF tips not the install. I ordered mine with the car at invoice for $4800 as a port install so my I didn't have to pay anything extra for the install. I have no idea how much the MPE is gonna cost for M2C.

Again $4500 negotiated price (vs the $6K MSRP) is for M3/M4 MPE not M2.
Thanks for clarifying.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2018, 06:30 PM   #14
AESZ4
Private
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
just fyi MPE was offered as a port installed option with OG M2. All-in, exhaust+carbon tips+install was $2,900 USD
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2018, 07:27 PM   #15
Kleinacus
Captain
United_States
Rep

Has anyone had any issues with port installation? I was a little nervous in even looking at the offerings (I realize MPE is not an option there yet). I was a little nervous re: damage.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2018, 07:53 PM   #16
GoneIn4Secs
Banned
Rep
Drives: BSM F87 LCI (DCT)

Mpe does help things with thw s55
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2018, 08:12 PM   #17
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Has anyone had any issues with port installation? I was a little nervous in even looking at the offerings (I realize MPE is not an option there yet). I was a little nervous re: damage.
Port is probably one of the best places you can get it installed. Those guys have several years of experience and they have been installing these parts many times every single day. Dealer install is still a good option but I have seen couple of dealer installed MPEs that had misaligned tips, not perfectly tightened pipes to the hanger etc. If you can get a good discount, always choose port install. Not only you won't have to pay extra labor on top of your negotiated price but also port installed M performance parts come with 4-year warranty as opposed to the 2-year warranty of dealer installed parts.
Appreciate 1
      08-07-2018, 09:38 PM   #18
ryem3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 MB M2 CS

Imho, port install never makes sense. You don't get the stock parts and got can easily find m parts cheaper from dealers. I've never heard of a warranty claim on an exhaust, spoiler, or other cosmetic part.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2018, 10:08 PM   #19
F87_LCI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB F87

Was an option on my LCI, port installed for CAD $3,500 ...so USD $2,700 sounds about bang on. Can't see why the S55 version would be double the price? Prob better to go aftermarket for that kind of money. Although I'm sure I heard somewhere that BMW was no longer going to sell the MPE for the S55 due to the cracking issues many owners were having. You can search in the F80/2 forum as it is a known issue. Maybe they have it corrected for the M2C.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2018, 10:10 PM   #20
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryem3 View Post
Imho, port install never makes sense. You don't get the stock parts and got can easily find m parts cheaper from dealers. I've never heard of a warranty claim on an exhaust, spoiler, or other cosmetic part.
I got mine replaced under warranty due to rattling and there is a guy on the F80 forum who got his replaced 3 times due to rattling and cracking after several tens of track days. Even if you don't track, several people's MPE (M3/M4) got cracked. Longer warranty on MPE is pretty important IMO.

You are right about not being able to keep the stock parts tho. But again when you think about it, nobody would pay more than $200-$300 for a stock exhaust and you are making that money anyway by saving the labor cost in port install. Port install with invoice pricing on M performance parts (aka 20% off) is a pretty good deal IMO.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2018, 10:51 PM   #21
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryem3 View Post
I got mine replaced under warranty due to rattling and there is a guy on the F80 forum who got his replaced 3 times due to rattling and cracking after several tens of track days. Even if you don't track, several people's MPE (M3/M4) got cracked. Longer warranty on MPE is pretty important IMO.

You are right about not being able to keep the stock parts tho. But again when you think about it, nobody would pay more than $200-$300 for a stock exhaust and you are making that money anyway by saving the labor cost in port install. Port install with invoice pricing on M performance parts (aka 20% off) is a pretty good deal IMO.
Fit BMS 2-1-2 system - see AW m3 in the gumball YT Clip

Makes s55 sound a lot better.
      08-08-2018, 11:49 AM   #22
tutankhamon
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB BMW M2

I had mine replaced under warranty due to bluetooth connection issues. It's a great feelign when the warranty is actually put into effect. Port install has got to be one of the best options.

I personally never liked the sound of the S55, MPE or not. All personal preference I suppose.
Appreciate 1
BruceM983.00