BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

BPM

06-25-2008, 09:39 PM   #1
rai
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 coupe with DCT

help, USB drive not working

I have USB port and it works OK with my ipod can control my playlist etc.

I wanted some better fidelity so I was going to do direct USB drive with less compression or higher bitrate.

I got a PNY High-Speed 4GB 2.0 drive from Best Buy

I am using Windows Media player.

I got some CDs on the stick and plug it in. My car sees the CDs and the songs and I can highlight the songs but they don't play. Song time stays at 000. I see my directory, artist, CD, and songs.

I have one USB plug in from the memory stick to the car. Unlike the ipod where it has the larger 2-plug (aux + USB) plug.

Can anyone help? I was reading the manual and it said it may not work with higher bitrate so I copied at a lower bitrate and the same thing happens.

thanks.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2008, 08:42 PM   #2
rvacha
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 M3

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Not sure what to say... I have been playing 192K VBR WMA, 320K MP3, and WMA lossless (mostly lossless) without a problem.

I think I would keep the content on the drive as-is, just go in and re-label the drive. When you plug it into the car iDrive will think it is a new drive and will re-index it. Perhaps that'll do the trick?

Did you use WMP to tag the media originally, or did you use something else?

The USB drive cannot be NFTS formatted, only FAT16 or FAT32

iDrive will not play DRMed media

Have you tried browsing the directory structure and playing a tune that way, i.e. not trying to play by browsing tags?

'16 F30 340i xDrive 6MT Melbourne/Black
'08 E92 M3 6MT Jerez/Speed Cloth
'18 F80 M3 6MT SO/CSAT
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2008, 09:20 PM   #3
rai
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 coupe with DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvacha View Post
I think I would keep the content on the drive as-is, just go in and re-label the drive. When you plug it into the car iDrive will think it is a new drive and will re-index it. Perhaps that'll do the trick?

Did you use WMP to tag the media originally, or did you use something else?

The USB drive cannot be NFTS formatted, only FAT16 or FAT32

iDrive will not play DRMed media

Have you tried browsing the directory structure and playing a tune that way, i.e. not trying to play by browsing tags?
sorry, I do not understand what is FAT16 (etc.) the drive is a thumb drive windows compatible, I plug it into my computer and it looks like an empty drive. (or now a drive with some CDs on it). I did not format it.

I plug into my car and it says looking for data (or whatever) and then it comes up with all my CDs and all the songs on the CDs. I can click on any song at all and it just doesn't play them.

I used WMP to transfer the music. However, what I did was copy the CD onto my computer hard-drive and then I draged the folder onto my thumb drive. I think it should be the same thing. I did not save directly to the thumb drive from WMP.

Unfortunatly my car is in the shop so I can't fool around with it currently.
Appreciate 0