BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-09-2018, 12:10 AM   #1
Alf89
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW i3

New car pricing

Once these cars hit the showroom, what is the likelihood of getting a 40i under MSRP, and if so, how much under? I can't imagine this car will be like the M2 which will be probably no less than sticker for the next many months.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2018, 09:45 AM   #2
Influence
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M, 2016 X5 35i

Considering that there is nothing "special" about this car, I personally won't pay more than invoice + about $1,000 for one of these, minus any applicable incentives (even at launch). Just because it is "new" is no justification (at least for me) to pay any more than that. Considering there will be 40,000+ of these on the road within a year, being one of the "first" to have one means nothing. If I have to, I'll extend my existing F15 lease the full 6 months (currently up early October) until a dealer is willing to discount appropriately. If they are still sticking to MSRP-type pricing, I'll go elsewhere. Fact is, the G05 is a bit over-priced as it stands. It is only a 2-row SUV. A really nicely equipped Audi Q7 is 81K (Prestige, Titanium Optic Package, 4-wheel steering/Air Suspension, Luxury Package, Driver's Assistance Package, Cold Weather Package) and the Q7 has a useable third row and more cargo space, hence it should cost more. A similar X5 40i is about 79K (MSport, Luxury Seating Package, Extended Leather, 4-wheel steering, Premium package, Executive package, Driving Assistance Plus, Integral Active Steering, Air Suspension (with 3rd row, since that is stupidly the only way to get the Air Suspension on a 40i MSport as of now), Harmon Kardon audio, Heated Steering wheel/armrests, technically need to add the leather wrapped dash and alcantara headliner to make it as close to previously spec'd Q7 as well which pushes the X5 price to more like 80K. But again, the X5 is a smaller vehicle. I know that my build is pretty loaded, but for me, the value starts to come into question. A Volvo XC90 T8 Hybrid Inscription model loaded up is only around 80-82K (with the amazing B+W sound system) list as well, and that is a bigger vehicle too. Plus the T8 gets you a $5,002 tax credit for its hybrid powertrain.

If the X5 has a tremendous advantage in how it drives (unlikely considering how good the T8 with air-suspension and especially the Q7 with air-suspension drive and the fact that we can't get the Dynamic Handling Package on the 40i) I could forgive the skewed "value" of the new X5. But the logical part of me always has to consider the competition when determining what any object is worth.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2018, 12:43 PM   #3
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C, 2019 330xi, 2017 Q7

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
There is some truth that prices will be close to MSRP while the pipeline fills up with these cars. But that shouldn't last more that 2-3 months. There are always "me first" buyers that want to buy right away and will pay close to MSRP. Best to wait a couple and let the X5 flood the market, then discounts will come like Influence says
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2018, 07:15 PM   #4
nal13
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M3 xcomp/911 cab/RR LWB

Garage List
B  [0.00]
I'm also thinking that there will be solid discounts and great incentives within 2-3 months. The majority of x5s are leased and competition is fierce. Bmw will lose customers if these cars aren't discounted quickly. It would also be a major fail if they inflate the money factor. My wife is eager to get into this next generation x5. However if bmw tries to play games I'm sure she'll be just as happy in a new Range Rover sport
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2018, 12:18 AM   #5
Alf89
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW i3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKutta View Post
There is some truth that prices will be close to MSRP while the pipeline fills up with these cars. But that shouldn't last more that 2-3 months. There are always "me first" buyers that want to buy right away and will pay close to MSRP. Best to wait a couple and let the X5 flood the market, then discounts will come like Influence says
Bad timing for me. My lease is up in November, which is still relatively early considering the new release of the X5, M2C, and other cars I am cross shopping. I don't want to extend the crappy payments on my i3.
Appreciate 0