XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > X1 DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions

08-10-2018, 02:05 PM   #1
mreric
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X1

how many quart for a drain and fill of the ZF8 tranny ?

to those DIY people that have done a drain and fill of the tranny.

about how many quart came out during the process?

just need to know how much to buy.

thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2018, 02:03 AM   #2
Bali
E46 Fanatic
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 E84 F15

Instead of doing the common drain and fill, I did a full fluid exchange recently. See my notes below.

Just completed a full ATF exchange on the wife’s 2013 X1 sDrive2.8i. This was not simply a 4.5 quart drain and fill. The old fluid was pumping out of the ATF cooler pressure line into a large catch container while new fluid was pumped into the fill port on the AT by an electric oil pump. Luckily both fluid rates were about the same.

Here are the steps I followed:

- Put all four wheels in the air and set the parking brake.

- Cracked open the fill plug at the rear right of the AT.

- Disconnected the pressure line at the ATF cooler and pushed a 9/16” OD PCV hose into that line. It fit snug enough, but I also wrapped some duct tape around the connection for good measure.

- Used light compressed air, held onto the open ATF cooler port, to push the old ATF back into the sump. Then capped off the open ATF cooler port.

- Opened the drain plug on the AT pan and drained the ATF into a container.

- Replaced the AT pan with a new one. Bought the kit (including new bolts) at FCP Euro.

- Removed the fill plug and pumped new fluid in until it started dripping out.

- A helper started the engine, ran it up to 2k RPM for about 5 seconds to fill the TC, then let it idle while moving the AT gear selector into R, D, 1, 2, 3, etc. All this was happening while I used this electric oil pump with one line in the new ATF jug and the other line held in the AT fill port.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-Motor-O...-/161813526114

- Another helper kept an eye on the old fluid draining out in case it started to bubble due to the ATF sump going empty.

- It took about 1 minute to empty the 1-gallon ATF jug into the AT. Then the helper would shut off the engine while I swapped out for a fresh ATF jug.

- We did this three times before the fluid coming out the ATF cooler line looked new. Halfway through the third jug the fluid ran clean. Used about 2 1/2 1-gallon ATF jugs for a total of 10 quarts.

- Reconnected the ATF cooler line.

- Made sure the ATF was warm enough and then followed the ISTA top-off procedure.

- Torqued the fill plug and cleaned up all connections.

Job done!
Appreciate 0