BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - Northwest

06-26-2008, 10:30 AM   #1
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
Oregon US26 users notice

This was passed along to me:

Subject: North Plains speed trap BEWARE

From the Oregon Porsche Club

NORTH PLAINS ENFORCEMENT

As much as I want to support our law enforcement community, I am disturbed when communities decide to use the law for ulterior motives. Recently, I received this from one of our members:

Recently, the Oregonian's Washington County edition carried an article (http://blog.oregonlive.com/breakingn...n_north_p.html) examining the risks of pushing the speed limit on Highway 26 through the city of North Plains, west of Hillsboro. This article may not have been seen by members living in other counties.

It seems that without an adequate tax base to support its operations, North Plains has turned to the next-best method of raising revenue - writing lots of expensive traffic citations. A portion of 26 passes through North Plains, and the city has become adept at writing a vast number of traffic citations to motorized (and non-motorized) evil-doers. What's worse, the city's part-time municipal judge convicts nearly everyone, including those who go to court to plead their cases, and does not reduce fines. Those fines are much higher than the state-wide norm, although within the legislatively-imposed maximum limit.

A related problem is that if a North Plains cop stops someone on the freeway and both vehicles pull to the right-hand shoulder, the officers are also aggressively citing anyone who does not slow w-a-a-a-y down or move to a more-distant lane when passing the scene of the crime. Again, the infraction brings an expensive ticket.

Finally, and this applies to automobiles as well as cyclists, if you come to a stop sign or light in North Plains, you'd better stop behind the white line that marks the "stop"...or you'll be cited. Ka-ching!

Bottom line: When driving to or from the coast on 26, drive safely, obey the speed limit, and be wary of police activity in the North Plains area.

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2008, 08:13 PM   #2
IceCold1906
Private
Rep
Drives: E46 ///M...I finally did it!

Man, that is a little excessive.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2008, 01:28 PM   #3
schadenfreude
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 E90 M-DCT M3

Garage List
2009 E90 M3  [0.00]
Drove from Portland to Cannon Beach on 26 last week, and saw about 4 people pulled over, with more police bikes/cars ready to go. On an overpass there was a cop on a bike tagging people with a laser/radar.

Made the drive much less enjoyable, but the coastal highway was clear.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2008, 10:43 PM   #4
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
US26 overenfrocement

Quote:
Originally Posted by schadenfreude View Post
Drove from Portland to Cannon Beach on 26 last week, and saw about 4 people pulled over, with more police bikes/cars ready to go. On an overpass there was a cop on a bike tagging people with a laser/radar.

Made the drive much less enjoyable, but the coastal highway was clear.
Well, July 4 weekend is the worst as far as enforcement, Was this in the area described in my post?

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2008, 01:54 AM   #5
schadenfreude
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 E90 M-DCT M3

Garage List
2009 E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post
Well, July 4 weekend is the worst as far as enforcement, Was this in the area described in my post?
Yeah, it was. It was actually the weekend before the 4th, so I can't imagine how bad it would've been for the holiday!
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2008, 10:03 PM   #6
alpinecoupe
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Coupe

Greg,

Living in Beaverton I have known about the North Plains "zone" for some time.
I ALWAYS slow down when I get near that area.

I was not aware they were getting this aggressive however.

US26 is monitored pretty heavy as is. They often hang out near the zoo or coming down from Sylvan toward the 217 ramp. They also like to park just before the Murray BLVD exit off to the right, headed westbound at night. I have seen many cars pulled over in these areas as I drive it everyday.

Thanks for the heads up.
Appreciate 0