BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-21-2018, 03:08 PM   #1
pcmike
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

Talk about disappointment. All of a sudden my car can't hear me. If you hit the voice command button it registers and waits for a command but after 10s it just says say things slowly, blah blah. It never actually registers anything. To make things worse, bluetooth calls from my side are extremely low. Also, the car just randomly now is saying emergency call system malfunction. Of course the genius line is useless, they just say goto the dealer. Who has time for that? Brand. New. Car.

Anyone have any ideas aside from "lock the car and let it sit for twenty minutes" ... obviously, I've done that.

Fully Loaded
Appreciate 1
      08-21-2018, 05:39 PM   #2
Aaaaaaaaa
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: The other M3

Damn that sucks. This car has some serious QA issues. Mines been ok so far but it's definitely being returned when lease is up.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2018, 05:41 PM   #3
pcmike
Captain
United_States
Rep

FYI, it now works fully. Again, out of nowhere it's now perfect. I have no clue what the issue was. Perhaps the tint guys accidentally sprayed a microphone when they fix the tint on the sunroof earlier today? Not sure. Hopefully it doesn't act up again.

Fully Loaded
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2018, 05:45 PM   #4
ParadigmDawg
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 AMG GLC63s

Quote:
Originally Posted by pheerIx View Post
Damn that sucks. This car has some serious QA issues. Mines been ok so far but it's definitely being returned when lease is up.
I am having a lot of fun in mine and tuned, it is fun and fast but I won't likely keep mine either.

I don't seem to ever keep cars past 1-2 years so no biggie.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2018, 06:53 PM   #5
skier219
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i, M2C, Ferrari 328

I have heard a lot of stories where tint install caused a wide range of problems. They are just not very careful or meticulous. I once rejected a new car order because the dealer installed tint without my asking, and the guys mad a mess of the window seals.

That said, in this case I'd suspect it's a software bug, especially since it resolved on its own. These cars are way too dependent on software. Compared to some products I have owned, like Android phones and Garmin marine electronics, at least BMW seems to test their stuff in the field. I swear some of the other manufacturers code it and ship it and the developers obviously have no real world experience. Pet peeve of mine since I am an app developer who tests every thing thoroughly.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2018, 07:01 PM   #6
thestuarts
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I suspect it was the window tinting. Have you ever watched someone tint windows? They spray water everywhere. Check this video out, for example.
Appreciate 0