BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-30-2018, 03:59 PM   #1
mega156
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

M40i Vs X6 50i

Hi everyone,

I live in Egypt where the X3 M40i costs around 91,600 USD while the X6 50i is around 111,000 USD. Taxes and customs are high in here but both cars are locally assembled so the pricing is way higher compared to US.
Both cars are great and fully loaded with full M packages, adaptive LED lights, premium seats package, etc...
One of the main reasons I'm a bit reluctant to buy the X6 is that it will change its shape soon while the X6 will stay around for at least another 4 years. Moreover, the X6 will be a stretch in terms of cash.
Did anyone here try driving both and came up with a conclusion that can help me take a decision. Personally, I prefer the looks and the size of the X6 but the interior seems a bit outdated compared to the M40i.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2018, 01:13 AM   #2
RichM50d
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ‘22 8 Series Gran Coupe

It depends what you want from a car. The X3 is more involving to drive, is more of a drivers car, and goes back to BMW’s roots. It’s the most fun you can have in an SUV from BMW right now. The driving experience in the current X6 is a bit removed, in comparison. The X6 is probably the more comfortable cruising alternative, whereas the M40i is FUN!
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2018, 01:46 AM   #3
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichM50d View Post
It depends what you want from a car. The X3 is more involving to drive, is more of a drivers car, and goes back to BMW’s roots. It’s the most fun you can have in an SUV from BMW right now. The driving experience in the current X6 is a bit removed, in comparison. The X6 is probably the more comfortable cruising alternative, whereas the M40i is FUN!
The X3 also looks like a proper SUV, no offense to any X6 owners, but its a bit to hunchback and has too much of a bull-like face. The X3 M40i is sooo much fun to drive, and the exhaust note is awesome, and the X6 will be updated next year, so I say you should get the X3, its just a far better car, and the cheaper of the two.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2018, 03:15 AM   #4
mega156
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuastein55 View Post
The X3 also looks like a proper SUV, no offense to any X6 owners, but its a bit to hunchback and has too much of a bull-like face. The X3 M40i is sooo much fun to drive, and the exhaust note is awesome, and the X6 will be updated next year, so I say you should get the X3, its just a far better car, and the cheaper of the two.

The only drawback with the M40i is that it has M suspension which is not adaptive, roads in Egypt are mostly rough so it might feel harsh driving it in the city, while the X6 suspension is M as well but adaptive.

On a side note, we also have the M40i smaller buddy, the X3 30i, which is 15,200 $ cheaper than the M40i, it excludes the following:
M aerodynamics kit, M suspension, M brakes, M steering wheel, Head up display, 6 speakers instead of 12, variable sport steering and the instrument display is also digital but different than the M40i. Would you consider it? I haven't had the chance to test drive any of them yet.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2018, 03:39 AM   #5
verysideways
Lateral grip estimator
Rep
Drives: i4, M2

Garage List
Can you not add adaptive suspension to the M40i on your market?
Or delete the M suspension?
Both of those options are available in the European market.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2018, 03:50 AM   #6
mega156
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by verysideways View Post
Can you not add adaptive suspension to the M40i on your market?
Or delete the M suspension?
Both of those options are available in the European market.
Unfortunately not. This is the drawback of local assembly, you don't get to choose much as everything is preset.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2018, 04:35 AM   #7
nogren
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: G01 30d

Quote:
Originally Posted by mega156 View Post
Unfortunately not. This is the drawback of local assembly, you don't get to choose much as everything is preset.
What do you mean with local assembly? I thought X3 was assembled only in Spartanburg (US), and Rosslyn (SA).
Perhaps you mean that Egypt is only importing a small set of "preordered" specs?
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2018, 06:30 AM   #8
swestland85
Second Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW G01 + F21

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nogren View Post
Quote:
What do you mean with local assembly? I thought X3 was assembled only in Spartanburg (US), and Rosslyn (SA).
Perhaps you mean that Egypt is only importing a small set of "preordered" specs?
Probably it's shipped in parts to Egypt and will be assembled together there. This is usually a tax reducing thing. It's the case with other products as well that they put on less import duty if the goods are 'raw materials to be further processed'. I think this happens in more countries like Algeria for example. (At least in my business FMCG)

I was in Egypt beginning of the year but to drive an expensive car like an X3 over there in the most insane traffic I've ever encountered must not give you any shivers. I would never drive there, in any car. 😂
Previous cars: E91 330d High Executive, Sapphire Black | F21 120i M Sport, Sapphire Black | F31 320dA Efficient Dynamics Edition, High Executive, Imperialblue, Luxury Line, Style 392 17" | E90 325i Montego blue, saddelbrown leather, V-style 285 17" rims
Appreciate 3
      08-31-2018, 02:49 PM   #9
mega156
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swestland85 View Post
Probably it's shipped in parts to Egypt and will be assembled together there. This is usually a tax reducing thing. It's the case with other products as well that they put on less import duty if the goods are 'raw materials to be further processed'. I think this happens in more countries like Algeria for example. (At least in my business FMCG)

I was in Egypt beginning of the year but to drive an expensive car like an X3 over there in the most insane traffic I've ever encountered must not give you any shivers. I would never drive there, in any car. 😂
hahahaha ur probably right, driving near city center is crazy, this is why everyone is heading to outskirts where it's far less crowded, commuting is a lot easier and majority of roads are highways. Anyways if you would consider, would it be M40i or X6 50i given the price diff.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2018, 01:58 AM   #10
swestland85
Second Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW G01 + F21

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by swestland85 View Post

I was in Egypt beginning of the year but to drive an expensive car like an X3 over there in the most insane traffic I've ever encountered must not give you any shivers. I would never drive there, in any car.
hahahaha ur probably right, driving near city center is crazy, this is why everyone is heading to outskirts where it's far less crowded, commuting is a lot easier and majority of roads are highways. Anyways if you would consider, would it be M40i or X6 50i given the price diff.
Difficult to answer but I would choose a X3 over the X6 but mostly because I don't really like the X6 design, it's to big and if I was shopping in that price segment I would always go for the new X5. Same price, newer and better.
Previous cars: E91 330d High Executive, Sapphire Black | F21 120i M Sport, Sapphire Black | F31 320dA Efficient Dynamics Edition, High Executive, Imperialblue, Luxury Line, Style 392 17" | E90 325i Montego blue, saddelbrown leather, V-style 285 17" rims
Appreciate 0