E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Stacking tuners?

06-30-2008, 03:31 AM   #1
LAbeemer
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 3351

Stacking tuners?

ok cost aside whats the boards feeling of doubling up tunes? Hugely popular in the diesel world (fuel pressure tunes & boost tunes). My question would be could you have the dealer install the dinan flash for the warranty then install on top a procede or similar piggyback with multiple maps to enhance the power gains for race fuel or mods. discussion of the new program 29.2 sensing the piggybacks to help void the warranty might be overthrown with the dinan flash. Also with the dinan flash already raising boost and such boost creep and spike (stuck wastegate actuator) can easily explain how lets say a huge rise in boost blew your engine (lol). just thinking out loud here, not saying it would work!!! So any seasoned tuners have an opinion on this type of stacking?
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2008, 04:37 AM   #2
judec
born to be turbocharged
Slovakia
Rep
Drives: Not a bimmer yet

it was discussed already when the first Dinan flash was released to the market. Dinan does not recommend it. Piggy vendors dont recommend it. 100% certainty of N54 going caboom... Forget about it.

Appreciate 0
      06-30-2008, 04:46 AM   #3
LAbeemer
Private
Rep

my thoughts:

standard dinan tune is sufficient for good power. Lacks detune ability, lack the low boost removal on first and second gear, lacks some fine tuning for added parts. I'm not looking to double up power, more so looking to custom tune and make the dinan base maps more effective at maximizing the complete setup. SO that said it would take custom tuning with something like the procede. currently there isn't a open tuner available for BMW ecu so thats not an option. Also my idea is that the DINAN flash would also keep everything under warrenty seeing as computers like the Procede are invisible to the stock ecu. (debate is open about v29.2)
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2008, 07:53 AM   #4
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo

you could probably have someone like Helix custom tune an Attache (piggyback) for you, but honestly I think its more risk and more trouble than its worth.
      06-30-2008, 07:55 AM   #5
jcarlucci1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 335i

This is a pretty good idea..dinan(or other flash) as a base tune, then a piggyback for valet, map switching, traction control, etc.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2008, 09:49 AM   #6
ezatnova
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarlucci1 View Post
This is a pretty good idea..dinan(or other flash) as a base tune, then a piggyback for valet, map switching, traction control, etc.
Brilliant! In fact, the way to go might be:

Get the Dinan flash
Get the Shark Edit, and dload the Dinan and edit it for more powa, and reflash the car with Shark Dinan
Get the Vishnu PnP V3 and clip that baby in.
Get the JB2HR and wire that in with the V3 harness
Get the SSTT and clip that puppy in.

I mean, that car would be pushing 600+ hp I would think!!!
Shiv, thoughts!?

Appreciate 0
      06-30-2008, 09:53 AM   #7
danniexi
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 F97 X3M Comp LCI

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezatnova View Post
Brilliant! In fact, the way to go might be:

Get the Dinan flash
Get the Shark Edit, and dload the Dinan and edit it for more powa, and reflash the car with Shark Dinan
Get the Vishnu PnP V3 and clip that baby in.
Get the JB2HR and wire that in with the V3 harness
Get the SSTT and clip that puppy in.

I mean, that car would be pushing 600+ hp I would think!!!
Shiv, thoughts!?

would this void the warrant??
BMW MY06 E46 325XI - GONE
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2008, 10:27 AM   #8
ezatnova
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by danniexi View Post
would this void the warrant??
I think if you install an odd number of tunes stacked on one another, probably, yes. If you install an even number, maybe the warranty voiding cancels out and you're ok.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2008, 10:34 AM   #9
jcarlucci1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I think if you install an odd number of tunes stacked on one another, probably, yes. If you install an even number, maybe the warranty voiding cancels out and you're ok.
You're doing a great job of being completely useless. If you would actually take the time to read the OP you would understand that he is not asking about putting two tunes on top of each other for more power.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2008, 10:36 AM   #10
ezatnova
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You're doing a great job of being completely useless. If you would actually take the time to read the OP you would understand that he is not asking about putting two tunes on top of each other for more power.
Thanks, maybe when you actually understand how these cars work and have read about how each tune works, you'd realize the complete stupidity of stacking ANY tunes for ANY reason.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2008, 10:40 AM   #11
Mr. 5
Modder Raider
Scotland
Rep
Drives: M3

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [8.00]
Here's what I have to say about doubling up tunes:

The maximum amount of power that these turbos can have is aproximately 15 psi. If you add a Turbo tuner to a procede, then you will exceed the amount of psi, your engine will pull timing, and you will have less power than only a turbo tuner installed.

Best 60-130-------------9.15 Seconds------------------WWW.MR5RACING.COM
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2008, 10:49 AM   #12
jcarlucci1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Thanks, maybe when you actually understand how these cars work and have read about how each tune works, you'd realize the complete stupidity of stacking ANY tunes for ANY reason.
Yeah..I'm the stupid one..there is no reason why you cant flash the dme with a tune for more power and use a piggyback for o2 sims, traction control, valet options, switching between maps..And I am not talking about stacking an off the shelf piggyback with another tune, but one specifically programmed to work along with the tune to offer functionality that the flash cant offer..
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2008, 10:53 AM   #13
Hunter399
Major General
Rep
Drives: F90M5

Really bad idea
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2008, 10:56 AM   #14
Mr. 5
Modder Raider
Scotland
Rep
Drives: M3

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [8.00]
Quote:
Yeah..I'm the stupid one..there is no reason why you cant flash the dme with a tune for more power and use a piggyback for o2 sims, traction control, valet options, switching between maps..And I am not talking about stacking an off the shelf piggyback with another tune, but one specifically programmed to work along with the tune to offer functionality that the flash cant offer..
I can understand what you're talking about.
You can add different tunes if they are not stacked.

For example, The race gas juice box can be switched on when using race gas, but it is still installed on the car.

Best 60-130-------------9.15 Seconds------------------WWW.MR5RACING.COM
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2008, 11:30 AM   #15
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep

you CAN use multiple tuning items. In fact, I spoke with Helix about using a custom Attache to control different things in teh car that a Shark edit tune can not.....of course this is only a possiblity if the Shark is ever realeased, which doesnt look promising.

Example - New big turbo's on car...use Shark to tune those. then add Meth to the car, you cant tune for Meth w/ the ECU, it doesnt have the option. Use a piggyback to tune for the Meth when its activated.

So yes, You can use multiple tunes, just not 2 different maps or 2 different types of tunes are both controlling boost,timing, etc.
      06-30-2008, 01:24 PM   #16
jcarlucci1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniz View Post
you CAN use multiple tuning items. In fact, I spoke with Helix about using a custom Attache to control different things in teh car that a Shark edit tune can not.....of course this is only a possiblity if the Shark is ever realeased, which doesnt look promising.

Example - New big turbo's on car...use Shark to tune those. then add Meth to the car, you cant tune for Meth w/ the ECU, it doesnt have the option. Use a piggyback to tune for the Meth when its activated.

So yes, You can use multiple tunes, just not 2 different maps or 2 different types of tunes are both controlling boost,timing, etc.
+1 Don't understand why this is such a hard concept for everyone
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2008, 02:48 PM   #17
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
+1 Don't understand why this is such a hard concept for everyone
who knows
      07-01-2008, 10:55 PM   #18
LAbeemer
Private
Rep

OK back to the original post! "DINAN" only as the base flash 100% because of the warranty!!!! Now with that said the stacking isn't simply for MORE POWER so delete those ridiculous posts talking about a completely different idea! The reason to stack is for detuning or valet, traction control, driveability (automatic transmission), possible more HP for race gas, and so on and so on. A Dinan flash give us plenty of power but no control or adjustability, its beauty is its warranty and lack of hardware to wire in. With it being a flash and not a piggy back stacking a SINGLE piggyback will now give some adjustability. I honestly don't need uneducated opinions anymore we got enough, time for someone who knows how these ECM's work and the capability to use a piggyback for fine tuning and not to add horsepower. This forum is to learn and share so I am voicing a very reasonable question and a intellectual answer is now requested.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2008, 02:00 AM   #19
StarrDlux
Pussycat's Meow
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i montego | Stock

basically you want more boost from dinan and to keep the warranty. makes sense
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2008, 04:03 AM   #20
LAbeemer
Private
Rep

no i want more control, witch includes being able to detune it for valet or long boring drives to improve gas mileage. All things you can do in the diesel world when you stack two specifically different style tuning tools. But No one can do it and get a new car warranty to boot! still waiting for a intelligent answer to a real question. Vendors? Shiv? Any tuners.....
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2008, 06:30 AM   #21
StarrDlux
Pussycat's Meow
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i montego | Stock

only one tuner gives a warranty. all others have warranty delete

and that tuner woudl delete their warranty if they caught you with a device to modify their code since that increases their risk of loss greatly.

from a tuners' perspective its quite rude to stack. just ask the tuner for what you want.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2008, 06:36 AM   #22
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep
Drives: 4 Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAbeemer View Post
no i want more control, witch includes being able to detune it for valet or long boring drives to improve gas mileage. All things you can do in the diesel world when you stack two specifically different style tuning tools. But No one can do it and get a new car warranty to boot! still waiting for a intelligent answer to a real question. Vendors? Shiv? Any tuners.....

You do realize why you are being made fun of? These tunes do the same thing. If you double intercept the signals what do you think will happen? If one microprocessor piggy is attempting to fight another, then what do you think will happen? I don't think you realize the marvel that BMW created in this DME. It is extremely advance and very thorough in its detection. This is truly one of the kings of the "headache ecus" for tuners.
Appreciate 0