Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > USA - Great Lakes

09-09-2018, 03:28 PM   #1
M4LHR
Rep
Drives: M8

M4 owner moving to greater Detroit :-) from CA

I just moved to greater Detroit, MI from CA :-)
Can I get any recommendations from fellow owners as to where to get my m4 washed and what to do during winter !!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2018, 08:17 PM   #2
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Condolences man! I moved from the Detroit area, where I was born, to San Diego in 1989. I would never, ever consider moving back. Michigan as a whole has declined significantly since then. Hopefully it's only short term, maybe a job relocation and they're paying you a shit ton of money.

Summers can be nice, but muggy, and there's lots of recreational opportunities. Winter completely sucks, even if you ski. Snowmobiles are an option.

I remember it being virtually impossible to keep your car clean in the winter, especially if it's below 25 degrees. i had a membership to a car wash and ran it through once a week, but get prepared for swirl marks.

With a rear wheel car, just get a complete set of winter wheels and snow tires and just use them from the first sign of snow until the last possible storm. Better yet, get a cheap front wheel drive or AWD winter beater that you don't give a crap about. Store your M4 all winter.

Appreciate 0
      09-09-2018, 08:23 PM   #3
cnofar
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3, Jerez Black/Fox Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4LHR View Post
Can I get any recommendations from fellow owners as to where to get my m4 washed and what to do during winter !!!!
Hello,
I'm born and raised in Michigan, and while it's not the weather of San Diego, California, it's still beautiful each season.

I live in Rochester Hills, about 30 minutes north of Detroit. I have driven rear wheel drive cars my entire adult life, through the winter, and nothing is more important than a dedicated set of winter/snow tires (not all seasons) mounted on a set of wheels for the winter. Don't waste your money on a winter car unless you're that concerned about rain/snow/salt on your car.

Regarding washing your car I go to a do-it-yourself carwash and spray the car down once a week or two to get the slush and snow removed. Works fine, costs about $3-4 depending on where you go.

Feel free to hit me up if you want to get together or need recommendations on food/hanging out/shopping/schools/etc.

Regards,
Christopher
Appreciate 2
      09-09-2018, 08:35 PM   #4
Teeone
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Detroit has changed tremendously since 1989, so I would not be concerned with such feedback. Winters can be rough in SE MI if all you do is commute to work. I would encourage you to get involved in some winter activities.

I live in canton, which is a western suburb. Work for Ford in Dearborn. Born and raised in northern Michigan, which is beautiful year round. If there is anything I can do for you, let me know. The one aspect that I really enjoy about Michigan is that we enjoy the distinct four seasons here.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2018, 09:13 PM   #5
captainaudio
World's Foremost Authority
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Cab - Cayenne GTS - Jag XK
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton FL - Lime Rock CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4LHR View Post
I have no advice for where to get you car washed in Detroit but as for the part about what to do in Winter - go back to CA.

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center - Society of Automotive Historians - Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (0nly a VP) - BMWCCA - Porsche Club of America - M Gruppe - Polish Race Drivers of America (PDRA) - Glen Club (Watkins Glen International) - Jaguar Club of Southern New England
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2018, 09:56 AM   #6
Agent11br
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 6MT

Garage List
Have lived in Metro Detroit area my whole life aside from college. It's an awesome spot!

A lot has changed in 29 years since SD ///M4 was here... for the better!

The four seasons are great, including winter. Would highly recommend getting SNOW tires as cnofar stated, and if possible a second set of wheels to mount them on, to make it easy to get around. Feel free to PM me if you want help with this.

Unsure what sports/activities you are into, but there are a slew of options here. Adult softball, golf, boating and water sports, biking (inc some great mtn biking), hiking, canoeing, hunting, hockey, skiing, soccer, etc.

Michigan is also home to a ton of craft breweries and wineries. I'd highly recommend any of the local beer festivals, in particular, the Zoo Brew in spring and fall at the Detroit Zoo.

For winter upkeep, I will wash my car on mildy warm days (ie 45') or take it to the self wash and powerwash it down. Avoid the car washes if you are anal about your paint, in particular with a dark car, as they ruin your finish with swirls and RIDS.

The Woodward Dream Cruise on the third weekend in August is a good time for any auto enthusiast. Especially the few days prior with the locals. Some awesome classic cars.

If you are into sports, this is a rough time to be here...

Tigers - in rebuild
Red Wings - in rebuild
Lions - new coaching, but theoretically on the upswing
Pistons - I'll let someone else chime in as I don't follow basketball
MLS - hoping to get a team

Best of success, we'll see you around!
      11-07-2018, 01:28 PM   #7
aalsayye
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5

Teeone, I work for Ford as well and will be looking into getting an M4 by next summer.
Any chance we can chat? I want to learn about your experience driving an M car in the winter
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2018, 08:08 PM   #8
Teeone
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Aalsayye,
Sure, give me a call at work. My cds is skahrs1. I have not driven my m3 in the winter, but did drive my amg which was rwd, so very similar.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2018, 08:34 PM   #9
mlozano
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 6MT

Get a set of snow wheels and tires. Driving in snow can be a ton of fun but get acclimated before going crazy.

Auto Europe in Birmingham is a great place to have your extra set stored and swapped out for a small fee.

9 Mile in downtown Ferndale has a great do it yourself wash. If not that, I go to Pop's detail shop for a $8 hand wash on Jefferson. Pop's looks shady but I've been going there for 15 years with no problems. Jax car wash will give you swirls but once in a while might not hurt.

Cars and coffee is every Saturday at Woodward and 14 Mile. The biggest C&C takes place the end of every month at M1 track up in Pontiac.

Let me know if you need more info. Below is my winter setup.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0