E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > new ignition pack but more problems

09-12-2018, 07:29 AM   #1
Jhml
Rep
Drives: E92 335is

new ignition pack but more problems

I jus changed out the spark plugs and ignition coils but now the car wont start or will crank for a long time. The car slightly bounces at a regular interval and there is white smoke coming out (didnt happen before)

is it because the plus and coils arent in correctly? I dont understand what the problem wouldbe please help
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2018, 08:29 AM   #2
msjt
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

I'm assuming the bouncing is the car misfiring. Make sure the electrical connector is pushed all the way into the coil. It requires a little force.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2018, 09:23 AM   #3
Bimmer_Engineer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhml View Post
I jus changed out the spark plugs and ignition coils but now the car wont start or will crank for a long time. The car slightly bounces at a regular interval and there is white smoke coming out (didnt happen before)

is it because the plus and coils arent in correctly? I dont understand what the problem wouldbe please help
I noticed the last time I took my coils off that they can get slightly misalinged making it difficult to get the seated. There is a recess in the conduit that the coil slides into...the coil has a tab meant to fit in this recess...make sure they're aligned and push down until the tab bottoms out in the recess...
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2018, 10:48 AM   #4
MysticRob
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i E90

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhml View Post

I find it so odd we continue to see posts like this so often. I swear some of these questions must be troll posts. How are we supposed to know if your 'plus and coils' aren't in correctly if we're not hovering over your engine bay with you?

"I changed something and now it's worse. What could the problem be?"

99.9% of the time it's the work that you've done that has caused the problem.

OP, recheck your work, ensure the plugs are correct and at correct gap, coils are correct, seated and connected properly, etc. There are a 100 different things you could've done wrong so verify the work you did 1st then worry about and troubleshoot other potential issues afterward.

Also, since you changed those items out recently, are we to assume you were already having issues previously?

Last edited by MysticRob; 09-12-2018 at 10:59 AM..
Appreciate 1
Jklad421.00