E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > My JB1 Review

07-01-2008, 03:44 PM   #1
ATSR
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1977 Honda Civic

My JB1 Review

I had a JB1 installed a couple of weeks ago on my E92 335xi, and let me tell you that I couldn't be more surprised how much faster the car has become

The power delivery is identical as it was before the installation, but there's just A LOT more of it at any RPMs. Any gear.

IMO the biggest improvement has to be the insane amount of torque. This thing feels like getting launched on a roller-coaster, again it doesn't matter what gear you are using at the time.

The Wile E. Coyote-on-a-slingshot feeling gets even more dramatic since my car has AWD, and I dare to say that I wouldn't be surprised if I encounter a stock E9X M3 and I kick his a$$ at least on the first 3 gears. And if the road is wet I could start it in second gear and I would still kick his a$$ (maybe even 3rd ).

The other thing I have noticed (maybe its only me) but the exhaust note is louder and deeper. I have the plug disconnected to have both pipes open all the time (a great free mod by the way) and IMO the car now sounds as it should've from the beginning. Not "rice" AT ALL.

Some of the best things regarding the JB1 that I haven't mentioned are:

- Cost me $100 (yes, one hundred) during the bimmerfest special.
- Very easy to install even though I paid someone ($25) to do it for me.
- Terry (guy that makes the JB1) provides GREAT customer service and will answer every question you ask him in a few minutes
- It is "invisible" to the new 29.2 software upgrade.
- Easy to remove before taking the car to service (don't want to risk it).

As you can see I am a VERY happy customer and I strongly recommend everyone that owns/leases a 335 to do it. As Terry says on his website (www.burgertuning.com), "This is how the car should have come from the factory".

Just to let you guys know, I don't have any affiliation whatsoever with Terry or his company. I am just THAT happy
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2008, 03:45 PM   #2
Siciliano611
Major
Rep
Drives: SMB M6GC

Great price on a good product, but in no way with only a JB1 will u even be close to a E92 M3.....
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2008, 04:16 PM   #3
ScotyH
Bimmer me up
Rep
Drives: 08 M3, 2010 GTR

Should be taking the world by storm for $99
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2008, 04:18 PM   #4
ALPINE6SPD
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 328i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by alejotrujillo View Post
I had a JB1 installed a couple of weeks ago on my E92 335xi, and let me tell you that I couldn't be more surprised how much faster the car has become

The power delivery is identical as it was before the installation, but there's just A LOT more of it at any RPMs. Any gear.

IMO the biggest improvement has to be the insane amount of torque. This thing feels like getting launched on a roller-coaster, again it doesn't matter what gear you are using at the time.

The Wile E. Coyote-on-a-slingshot feeling gets even more dramatic since my car has AWD, and I dare to say that I wouldn't be surprised if I encounter a stock E9X M3 and I kick his a$$ at least on the first 3 gears. And if the road is wet I could start it in second gear and I would still kick his a$$ (maybe even 3rd ).

The other thing I have noticed (maybe its only me) but the exhaust note is louder and deeper. I have the plug disconnected to have both pipes open all the time (a great free mod by the way) and IMO the car now sounds as it should've from the beginning. Not "rice" AT ALL.

Some of the best things regarding the JB1 that I haven't mentioned are:

- Cost me $100 (yes, one hundred) during the bimmerfest special.
- Very easy to install even though I paid someone ($25) to do it for me.
- Terry (guy that makes the JB1) provides GREAT customer service and will answer every question you ask him in a few minutes
- It is "invisible" to the new 29.2 software upgrade.
- Easy to remove before taking the car to service (don't want to risk it).

As you can see I am a VERY happy customer and I strongly recommend everyone that owns/leases a 335 to do it. As Terry says on his website (www.burgertuning.com), "This is how the car should have come from the factory".

Just to let you guys know, I don't have any affiliation whatsoever with Terry or his company. I am just THAT happy
you will NOT kick any new M3 coupes ass trust me as I have driven both. It would be close but you woudl not even beat him with identical drivers. By time the M3 was in 3rd you will be behind by a least 1-2 car lengths. Video eveidence just proves its the driver in the race. Same driver in both cars and the M3 will win.
2008 AW X3 3.0si: 6 speed Returned
2006 AW e90 330i: 6 speed Dinan Stage 1 Returned
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2008, 04:41 PM   #5
daves335i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

I completely agree with you! had JB1 for about 6 months, and now have moved on to JB2 about 3 months ago, and then I just installed the H pill the other day (both bought at same time, but wanted to separate the experience).

Great price, great product, no worries about turbos, engine wear or anything else.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2008, 05:39 PM   #6
RiXst3r
Rep
Drives: M235i

Thanks guys!
JB1 is a great little product at a great price!
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2008, 06:38 PM   #7
ATSR
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1977 Honda Civic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sicilianoNJ View Post
Great price on a good product, but in no way with only a JB1 will u even be close to a E92 M3.....
JB1, AWD, standing start... ok and a damp road
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2008, 06:55 PM   #8
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by alejotrujillo View Post
JB1, AWD, standing start... ok and a damp road
try JB2HHR, AWD, 100 octane..and a damp road.
      07-02-2008, 12:37 AM   #9
mmmotornutz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Montego 335i

I too have the JB1, to pacify me until the JB3 comes out. At first I didn't feel that it improved anything. I was bummed until I saw my DSC blink more frequently.

My buddy with a 2006 Porsche Carrera S ran me the other night. I was pleasantly surprised that I was able to hang with him. Well I was 3/4 car lengths ahead because when we gunned it, my car jumped ahead (> Tq?) but he couldn't catch up. We shut down at 130 mph.

Now I will be purchasing a set of UR DPs...to relieve some stress from the turbos when I get the JB3.

All in all I am in the same boat as you, happy and satisfied!
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2008, 04:33 AM   #10
yzfman
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i E90

Thanks for the great review. I have been on the fense with this mod and the SSTT, but for the money this seems to do a good job of giving a little more thrust to the car while staying invisible.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2008, 08:44 AM   #11
Accel Junky
High on Acceleration
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3, 90 GTR, 21 Gladiator

Nice review! My...friend is thinking about the JB1 as a cheap upgrade to hold over until some better options come out for the MSD81.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2008, 08:46 AM   #12
RiXst3r
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accel Junky View Post
Nice review! My...friend is thinking about the JB1 as a cheap upgrade to hold over until some better options come out for the MSD81.
If he gets a jb1, he would get a full credit towards a v81 compatible jb3
Appreciate 0