E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > RD Motoren Inc.

07-02-2008, 09:05 AM   #1
TSM330i
2006 330i, TSM, Black, manual, sport
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 C2, GTI, Z4 3.0si Racecar

RD Motoren Inc.

Hello All,

I'm not usually on this board for obvious reasons, but getting work done on my car at Bimmerworks introduced me to RD Motoren.

He is a tuner that is starting up his business tuning 3-series (specifically the 335). The website is very new, but you can email Eric or Ryan to find out more of their developments.

So far, I've seen a switch that will be cockpit mounted to go from high to low boost. A custom front mounted intercooler with all the associated duct work is being developed now. An additional oil cooler mounted under the hood using duct work from the front airdam to cool the engine oil. He also carries Brembo brakes and a host of original wheel designs and exhausts.

One quick note: if you like chrome exterior pieces, you're out of luck as everything is powdercoated black. The black 335 in the pics is Ryan's car and you can see his wheel design and some of the other work he's done.

Again, he is relatively new, but the work I've seen is incredible. He also does HIGH end audio. I don't think anything is out of the question for Ryan and his crew. If you can think of it...contact them.

http://www.rdmotoren.com/
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2008, 09:30 AM   #2
WCM3
Î canŧ főcus mŷ attėntĭon
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 Rubicon

Funny..I saw this shop at the bimmerworks meet on saturday. Then I thought Ryan Dunn Motoren. Sounds pretty cool, maybe I can pick something up for the 335i sooner or later.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2008, 09:54 AM   #3
ezatnova
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG

It's not Dunn's place though, is it?? That would be a little scary.

I had to leave the meet at like 1:45 pm, but I did not see RD Motoren there...I either missed them time wise or just didn't see them there.

So is there some affiliation with Steve and Bimmerworks or not really? For their boost modulation, I suspect they aren't using Steve's shop and having Dinan as a base tune...that wouldn't make much sense I guess.

Are these guys WC local? I can't tell anything from that website since it's just pictures bouncing around and that's all.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2008, 10:30 AM   #4
TSM330i
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezatnova View Post
It's not Dunn's place though, is it?? That would be a little scary.

I had to leave the meet at like 1:45 pm, but I did not see RD Motoren there...I either missed them time wise or just didn't see them there.

So is there some affiliation with Steve and Bimmerworks or not really? For their boost modulation, I suspect they aren't using Steve's shop and having Dinan as a base tune...that wouldn't make much sense I guess.

Are these guys WC local? I can't tell anything from that website since it's just pictures bouncing around and that's all.
Yes, it is Dunn and he's much more than you think. He attended Princeton for crying out loud! Trust me, he knows what he's doing.

He's doing his own tune. He hooks up the laptop and does it right there. His shop is located on the left side of Bimmerworks to the back, so yes, local to WC for sure.

Just stop in and talk to him about what he's doing. You can see his black 335 and all the work he's done to it.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2008, 10:34 AM   #5
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep
Drives: 4 Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by AW325xi View Post
He attended Princeton for crying out loud! Trust me, he knows what he's doing.
Nothing personal, but that really implies nothing about a tuner. Cars running problem free for years says a lot about a tuner.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2008, 11:33 AM   #6
satakal
Major
Rep
Drives: e46

Ryan Dunn? The same guy that stuck a hot-wheel up his pooper and got an x-ray of it?
________
AnalMania

Last edited by satakal; 08-16-2011 at 05:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2008, 11:39 AM   #7
hotrod2448
grand poobah
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, F10 535i

Garage List
2011 335d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by satakal View Post
Ryan Dunn? The same guy that stuck a hot-wheel up his pooper and got an x-ray of it?
That would be the one.
<insert hot wheels car

How bad would it suck to send your car there only to have Bam decide to screw with Dunn by wrecking your shit?
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2008, 11:47 AM   #8
BMWdmk
*Rollin 3rd*
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something fast

brand new car

they got the money to fuck around all day
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2008, 11:49 AM   #9
satakal
Major
Rep
Drives: e46

:-D I would hope Bam understands the give and take. I wouldn't mind him burning my car down if it got replaced with a lambo.

Well, I wish RD all the luck in the world. It must be difficult to run your own business. I'm assuming he's doing what he passionate about.
________
Live Sex

Last edited by satakal; 08-16-2011 at 05:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2008, 12:25 PM   #10
ezatnova
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes, it is Dunn and he's much more than you think. He attended Princeton for crying out loud! Trust me, he knows what he's doing.

He's doing his own tune. He hooks up the laptop and does it right there. His shop is located on the left side of Bimmerworks to the back, so yes, local to WC for sure.

Just stop in and talk to him about what he's doing. You can see his black 335 and all the work he's done to it.
Oh wow. So did Ryan show up at the Bimmerworks meet later?
I did not know about the Princeton thing either...interesting.

Anyway, I wish their website gave mroe details rather than just those moving pictures....like...ANY details.

Also, I really don't understand the "hooks up the laptop" thing...I mean, if it were that simple, you wouldn't have Dinan spending a year+ and countless $ with a team of experts cracking the code, or Jim C spending many months and his intricate knowledge of BMW's that is needed to crack the code.

Cool stuff though!
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2008, 12:59 PM   #11
WCM3
Î canŧ főcus mŷ attėntĭon
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 Rubicon

Quote:
Oh wow. So did Ryan show up at the Bimmerworks meet later?
He was there for practically the entire show. I got there around 12:20, and he got there around 12:30-40 on his aprilia. Didn't get a chance to talk to him..just saw the shop and his cars.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2008, 01:06 PM   #12
ezatnova
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCM3 View Post
He was there for practically the entire show. I got there around 12:20, and he got there around 12:30-40 on his aprilia. Didn't get a chance to talk to him..just saw the shop and his cars.
DOH, I had to physically move my ass to avoid getting run over by the Aprilia when he was pulling into the lot around 12:30....I had no idea that was him. lol
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2008, 01:31 PM   #13
TSM330i
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod2448 View Post
That would be the one.
<insert hot wheels car

How bad would it suck to send your car there only to have Bam decide to screw with Dunn by wrecking your shit?
You have to understand that it's a TV persona. Bam is a really down to earth, very polite person. April (his mom) would KILL him if he acted that way all the time. Bam is not like that at all. Neither Ryan nor Bam would mess with anything that isn't theirs.

Ryan, from what I understand, has worked with some good programmers to come up with his tuning capabilities, so you're correct, it's not as simple as plugging in a laptop. He is very passionate about his business and what he does. The nice thing is he is local to us and we can talk to the owner of the business.

Like I said, this is in the start-up phase. Contact them directly if anything I've said interests you.

P.s. I saw Bam's purple Lambo yesterday. It's VERY purple!
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2008, 02:38 PM   #14
ezatnova
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You have to understand that it's a TV persona. Bam is a really down to earth, very polite person. April (his mom) would KILL him if he acted that way all the time. Bam is not like that at all. Neither Ryan nor Bam would mess with anything that isn't theirs.

Ryan, from what I understand, has worked with some good programmers to come up with his tuning capabilities, so you're correct, it's not as simple as plugging in a laptop. He is very passionate about his business and what he does. The nice thing is he is local to us and we can talk to the owner of the business.

Like I said, this is in the start-up phase. Contact them directly if anything I've said interests you.

Well, I hope they do well and we see some intersting things from them.

Do you mean the purple one with the sunroof (which was spawned from the sawzall incident), which was at the BW meet? I thought that was not his anymore, for quite some time now. He has an orange one or something now.
I've seen the purple one around a good bit, including at Tattersall (Broad Run).
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2008, 03:47 PM   #15
hotrod2448
grand poobah
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, F10 535i

Garage List
2011 335d  [0.00]
Quote:

I was joking. I figured no one could be like that all the time and not have someone choke the life out of them for something by now.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2008, 03:55 PM   #16
ezatnova
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod2448 View Post
I was joking. I figured no one could be like that all the time and not have someone choke the life out of them for something by now.
Lol - yeah, that would be ...a lot.

Bam does seem fairly subdued when hanging out in WC, albeit, he can barely actually move anywhere with the mob of, dare I say, posers, that crowd and follow him everywhere. Frankly I feel bad for the guy. That's got to get old sooner or later.

Maybe the boys will start taking the modded 335 out on the town. Usually it's one of the bigger vehicles like the black S class or a truck. There's a nice black X5 with red painted calipers that runs in that crowd, I believe...it's been with the purple lambo before.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2008, 04:41 PM   #17
TSM330i
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Lol - yeah, that would be ...a lot.

Bam does seem fairly subdued when hanging out in WC, albeit, he can barely actually move anywhere with the mob of, dare I say, posers, that crowd and follow him everywhere. Frankly I feel bad for the guy. That's got to get old sooner or later.

Maybe the boys will start taking the modded 335 out on the town. Usually it's one of the bigger vehicles like the black S class or a truck. There's a nice black X5 with red painted calipers that runs in that crowd, I believe...it's been with the purple lambo before.
The black X5 is Ryan's. His 335 is around. It's all black with a CF hood.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2008, 08:06 AM   #18
ezatnova
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The black X5 is Ryan's. His 335 is around. It's all black with a CF hood.
Ah, I had a hunch it was. Like I said, they were parked at Broad Run (then Tattersall) where I play all the time. I figured it was that group and was contemplating just driving the cart to catch up to where they were and see if they were doing amusing things, or just playing seriously.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2008, 11:35 AM   #19
OO---OO
Nekid Bandit
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

I Spoke With Ryan For A Little While At The Pa Meet.. He Knows His Stuff Dealing With Tuning! His Black 335i Is Pretty Sweet Too! He Wasnt There The Entire Day Though... I Still Got That Audi R8 Stuck In My Mind!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2008, 12:13 PM   #20
ezatnova
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OO---OO View Post
I Spoke With Ryan For A Little While At The Pa Meet.. He Knows His Stuff Dealing With Tuning! His Black 335i Is Pretty Sweet Too! He Wasnt There The Entire Day Though... I Still Got That Audi R8 Stuck In My Mind!!!
I'd take the red 456 Ferrari first, the blue GT3 second, and the R8 third.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2008, 12:37 PM   #21
E82tt6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 Black Saphire Z4 MC

Wait, so his tune is a direct flash to the ECU? Not a piggy back?
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2008, 12:43 PM   #22
Mr. 5
Modder Raider
Scotland
Rep
Drives: M3

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [8.00]
What's up with that web site man?
There's nothing but the panning of different cars.

Best 60-130-------------9.15 Seconds------------------WWW.MR5RACING.COM
Appreciate 0