BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > M2C suspension / small upgrades

09-26-2018, 10:30 AM   #1
vale007
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e82 1 M coupe

M2C suspension / small upgrades

hi, i want to lower the car a little bit ( approx. 20mm) and install semi slicks, michelin pilot sport cup2 or pirelli trofeos. what kind of small-budget big-impact suspension mods are recommended? less roll, less chassis movement wanted..

anti roll kit / sway bars:
- there are Eibach, H&R, Dinan and other sway-bar sets, which is the best?
- is the roll-bar-diameter at the M4 CS / GTS different? will it fit at the M2C?
- or is it possible to fit the OEM M4 convertible anti-roll-bars? higher diameter?

what kind of spring setup is tested at the M2 with sway-bars?
- height adjustable version? vs standard spring..

best,
c
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
HS_M2C118.50
      09-26-2018, 10:46 AM   #2
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 CSL Turbomeister

Garage List
Interested! Following...

I think an adjustable suspension kit is a definite go. I would love to know what you guys would fit additionally.

MR
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2018, 11:42 AM   #3
vale007
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR. View Post
Interested! Following...

I think an adjustable suspension kit is a definite go. I would love to know what you guys would fit additionally.

MR
i think installing a whole adj. coilover suspension kits is not clever, because you need to spend min. 4k (for intrax or kw v3/v4/clubsport or any 3-way) to be significant better than a 2k bmw performance suspension which is 2k for 2018 BMW M2 (it is a kw v1 suspension?)

a friend install height adjustable kw springs at Nissan GTR and Porsche 911.2 all the time and tell me it is the best improvement for your money for sure..

but, height adjustable springs + sway bars (anti roll kits) is i think 1.5k.. therefore a discussion is needed IMO, i'd like to hear your experiences...
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2018, 12:02 PM   #4
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 CSL Turbomeister

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatWhiteM2 View Post
Im going AST coilovers. AST are fitting them and setting them up first week of October.
Same here! Are you going 5100 or 5200?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vale007 View Post
i think installing a whole adj. coilover suspension kits is not clever, because you need to spend min. 4k (for intrax or kw v3/v4/clubsport or any 3-way) to be significant better than a 2k bmw performance suspension which is 2k for 2018 BMW M2 (it is a kw v1 suspension?)

a friend install height adjustable kw springs at Nissan GTR and Porsche 911.2 all the time and tell me it is the best improvement for your money for sure..

but, height adjustable springs + sway bars (anti roll kits) is i think 1.5k.. therefore a discussion is needed IMO, i'd like to hear your experiences...
I am definitely doing a suspension kit instead of the standard system. I am just not sure if I need sway bars, especially not since there is the massive strut bar at the front. It could all be a bit too much for my liking and I am not that often on the track with the car to also go and fit sway bars. Just not convinced yet this would make a hell of a difference for daily that ends up on a track once or twice a year. Also I don't need it on mountain roads. The AST kit offers just a touch more comfort and a less jumpy set up. That is why I want it, next to a better stance. Also price wise you already have a AST kit for around 2K.

MR

Last edited by MR.; 09-26-2018 at 12:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2018, 12:06 PM   #5
vale007
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Im going AST coilovers. AST are fitting them and setting them up first week of October.
this one? are camber plates available or do any other camber plates fit?
http://www.ast-suspension.com/websho...-m4-f82-detail
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2018, 12:22 PM   #6
vale007
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR. View Post
Same here! Are you going 5100 or 5200?

I am definitely doing a suspension kit instead of the standard system. I am just not sure if I need sway bars, especially not since there is the massive strut bar at the front. It could all be a bit too much for my liking and I am not that often on the track with the car to also go and fit sway bars. Just not convinced yet this would make a hell of a difference for daily that ends up on a track once or twice a year. Also I don't need it on mountain roads. The AST kit offers just a touch more comfort and a less jumpy set up. That is why I want it, next to a better stance. Also price wise you already have a AST kit for around 2K.

MR
my previous car BMW E82 1 M was cornering like a boat with a lot of roll even when braking with semi slick with OEM suspension.. after i made a compromise, back to less grip michelin pilot super sport and springs only.

michelin pilot sports cup 2 will improve the grip level of the M2C for sure. with sway bars you should feel better cornering even every entering or leaving the highway, otherwise is not worth it..

but i do not know about traction, acceleration out of corners .. if the rear axle become more rigid ..

in my country min. 100mm ground clearance is needed, so for optical and technical reason i want approx. -20mm and most important for me avoiding bodyroll
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2018, 12:48 PM   #7
vale007
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Going for the AST/Litchfield 5100 that were fitted to my OG M2.

Great minds hey
Litchfield / AST BMW M2 suspension kit look very good! but that is top end.... the control arms for the rear suspension are nice..

i guess same expensive as kw clubsport!? that invest is 3x as expensive as springs and sway-bars?!

if the result is significant faster or significant better handling as "springs and sway-bars"???
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-26-2018, 12:54 PM   #8
vale007
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
£2300 for the AST kit.
ok thanks! including camber plates? (and control arms I'm afraid to ask that hahah)

that is not that far from kw height adj. springs approx. 750 euro + sway bars approx. 550 euro...
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2018, 12:56 PM   #9
vale007
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
If you want to lower your car then springs are fine.

If you want to improve the handling then coilovers are the best idea. My old M2 was awesome on the road with the AST's fitted.
i want to deal with higher grip of Michelin Cup2 and avoid roll.... but not lower than 100mm from ground left, -20mm maybe -25mm max.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2018, 01:02 PM   #10
vale007
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
If you fit sway bars without changing the bouncy rear dampers your M2 will handle like a boat in a storm mate. Stock dampers are twitchy at speed mid bend if they hit a bump or dip in the road. The AST coilovers got rid of the bouncy/twitchy rear end on the M2. Sway bars will not do much at all.

You will need to ask for the price of the control arms. Plates are £400 I think.
ok understood, no big handling gain without full suspension meant.. have you sold your M2 with AST installed or will you fit it again (used or new or neither) to your M2C?
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2018, 01:06 PM   #11
vale007
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Mine was lowered 25front 20mm rear.

Unless you are on track, Cup2's will get out performed by a M2 on MP4S tyres on the public road mate. Just me I used both and the Cups took too long to come to temperature.
copy that for daily driving but not if you aim some corners... if you load the tyre a lot it gains temp. fast, 1550kg and OEM size .. is no alfa 4C or lotus elise/exige mate
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2018, 01:14 PM   #12
vale007
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I kept the AST kit to go on my M2C

My old M2 wearing the AST's and my new M2C waiting for them.
stunning car, congrats man!!!

i ordered hockenheim silver, after BSM 1 M, and E82 123d.. my E82 135i N54 was silver too, it was nice to hide in traffic ^^
Appreciate 1
M2C_PLUS1774.00
      09-26-2018, 01:22 PM   #13
vale007
Private First Class
Rep

BSM suits the M2C well... hope i'll be happy with HSM after BSM E82s.. sorry i am of topic.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
M2C_PLUS1774.00
      09-26-2018, 01:26 PM   #14
vale007
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Cheers. You can see the Cup2's in the bottom picture.

Love the 1M's
wasn't paying that much attention to detail ... yes cup 2s, what a nice shoulder!

that was 1er M against e92 GTS.. pirelli corsa system was....
Attached Images

Appreciate 0