E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Gas Gauge - Full Tank only reads 3/4 full

07-03-2008, 11:34 AM   #1
SteveMondragon
Seaman
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 | I01 | G30

Gas Gauge - Full Tank only reads 3/4 full

I did a search and didn't find anything specific except for some people saying that their gas gauge was stuck at 1/2 tank and were told to take the car into the dealership.

What's happening is that the gas gauge seems to be working fine, and when I get to the 1/4 mark (approx est. 40 miles left to go), my fuel light comes on just fine. When I fill up the tank, regardless how many times I reseat the gas nozzle when filling up, making sure no vacuum is created and causing it not to pump anymore (a couple of times I slightly overflowed it so I know it's full) but when I get into the car and start it up and drive away, it never shows past 3/4 full on the gas gauge.

Has anybody else had this problem? Is this a sensor that'll require me to take the car into the dealership to fix?

EDIT: Since I did an initial search and didn't find anything about this problem, here's some additional info.

From what I found out, it's actually a common problem found on ALL bmw cars, not just the 3-series. The service rep at the dealership said they usually get the 7-series in with the same problem.

What happenned was, according to the diagnostic tests they found the fuel level sensors were bad and also found that the fuel sending unit was dislodged. When they pulled up the rear seats, they found the sending unit was not secure. So they just decided to replace the entire fuel tank.

The sensors actually stopped me from filling more than 3/4 of the tank, and basically making the gas pump think that the tank was full. Funny thing is, when I was picking up my car from the dealership, there was another car there with the same problem except he couldn't put more than 4-5 gallons into his car each time before the tank was 'full' and wouldn't take anymore, so they're also getting a new tank with new sensors.

Last edited by SteveMondragon; 07-25-2008 at 09:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2008, 01:36 PM   #2
Marsch52
Type A - BMW Concours Judge
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 328i xDrive

I had a similar problem on my previous BMWs. Seems there were two fuel level sensors in the tank. BMW has an issue with these sensors, and they usually need to be replaced after about 1 or two years. They blame it on the sulfur content of our gasoline.
      07-04-2008, 10:37 PM   #3
trion20001
Registered
Rep
Drives: 325

Yup, had that happen with my car when I went to pick it up. Dealer had filled the tank and found the issue so gave me to option of letting them fix it first before taking delivery or instead of draining the tanks to drive it for a few days bring it back when the tank was near empty and they would change the sensor.

Was a couple of hours worth of work as they had to remove the rear seat. Has been fine ever since.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2008, 12:49 AM   #4
SteveMondragon
Seaman
United_States
Rep

UPDATE: car is at the dealership. The entire fuel tank needed to be replaced! Car only has 2800 miles on it (I don't drive it much)

But whatever, at least I have a fully loaded IS350 as my loaner car and it's not bad to drive around in.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2008, 01:08 AM   #5
simp0man
Not looking 2 SPEED, just looking GOOD
Cambodia
Rep
Drives: 07 328i

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMondragon View Post
UPDATE: car is at the dealership. The entire fuel tank needed to be replaced! Car only has 2800 miles on it (I don't drive it much)

But whatever, at least I have a fully loaded IS350 as my loaner car and it's not bad to drive around in.
Luck you, I had standard model mustang, in white too
      07-23-2008, 09:34 AM   #6
nasdakboy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08' 328i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMondragon View Post

Just had my gas tank replaced last week as well for the same problem. My car had 900 miles on it when the problem first occurred.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2008, 09:12 AM   #7
SteveMondragon
Seaman
United_States
Rep

Since I did a search and didn't find anything about this problem, here's some additional info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasdakboy View Post
Just had my gas tank replaced last week as well for the same problem. My car had 900 miles on it when the problem first occurred.
From what I found out, it's actually a common problem found on ALL bmw cars, not just the 3-series. The service rep at the dealership said they usually get the 7-series in with the same problem.

What happenned was, according to the diagnostic tests they found the fuel level sensors were bad and also found that the fuel sending unit was dislodged. When they pulled up the rear seats, they found the sending unit was not secure. So they just decided to replace the entire fuel tank.

The sensors actually stopped me from filling more than 3/4 of the tank, and basically making the gas pump think that the tank was full. Funny thing is, when I was picking up my car from the dealership, there was another car there with the same problem except he couldn't put more than 4-5 gallons into his car each time before the tank was 'full' and wouldn't take anymore, so they're also getting a new tank with new sensors.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2008, 08:01 AM   #8
JTBurn
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i Coupe

My gauge has not worked for a month. I'm taking it in next week.

With my car, I can fill it up all the way. Last time I put in 14 gallons. But the gauge indicates slightly over half full.

In reading these posts, it seems like their are two issues going on. One is like my situation where I can fill it up, but the gauge reads wrong. The other seems to be that the sensors read wrong and won't let you fill the tank. Or is this one in the same?
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2011, 07:28 PM   #9
bsleek
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i ZSP ZPP Terra/Black

Fuel Sender

Same problem here. The car is new to me but has been on the road for 3 years /w 55K CPO. Cronology so far:
Filled April 10 – ¾ full (Petro Canada)
Filled April 10 after driving for 1.5h ¾ full (Pioneer)
Filled April 10 after driving for 1.5h ¾ full (Petro Canada)
Fuel Sender replaced by BMW Toronto April 13
Smell of gas in car April 13
Filled April 14 after empty tank ¾ full, click click click…. Full tank (Canadian Tire)
Smell of gas in car April 14
Filled April 17 – reached full (Petro Canada)
Smell of gas in car April 17

My SA thinks I may need to replace the gas tank. Any advice?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2011, 12:53 PM   #10
Barbera2Slow
Rep
Drives: 335 x-drive

This happened to me, my car had about 13K miles on it, I bought it used. They told me it was the fuel sensors as well.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2011, 02:09 PM   #11
RaceBlood
Going nowhere fast.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2 wheels

My last 2 fill ups the pump turned off at $50.00, I though it was credit card/ or something with a limit, you mean its the car? ayy ayy ayy
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2011, 10:35 PM   #12
bsleek
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i ZSP ZPP Terra/Black

Fixed

Gas Tank replaced under warranty. Problem solved.

It's worth noting that they found the carbon filter canister was full of gas. If the car was out of warranty that's the first thing I would have replaced to start the process.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2011, 09:32 AM   #13
E92_328i_Boston
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 328i

Overfilling will cause the carbon canister to fill with gas. That's one reason topping off is a really bad idea.
Appreciate 0