BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

07-03-2008, 07:32 PM   #1
drvai
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 AW

iDrive not recognizing MP3 ID

Hi to everyone,

I have been having trouble using my pen drive with the idrive in the sense that it doesn´t recognize all the id tags, so its not able to organize all the sings by Artist/album, etc...

What could be happening?

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2008, 03:39 AM   #2
Mickb
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: AW/FR E92 M3 DCT

Drvai,

Do the songs appear but with nonsense names like "adfh, adgj, afhk" etc etc?

If so there is a problem with the encoding of your mp3's, specifically the id3 tags are faulty. I had the same thing when I started using my Ipod.

Initially a load of songs were just dumped in "Various artists" with garbage song titles like the above. I couldnt understand it, because they looked fine in iTunes, and on the ipod itself.

What program do you use to organise your music on your pc?

Mick
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2008, 07:16 PM   #3
drvai
Major
United_States
Rep

Thanks Mickb!!!

The songs that th idrive don't recognize go to the "various artists". I use itunes, but the Tags of the mp3 have been done with various programs. For example CDEX, with which I have ripped my CD collection.

Is there any way of solving this?

Thank you so much.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2008, 04:34 PM   #4
Mickb
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: AW/FR E92 M3 DCT

There are a few ways of solving it. There are some freeware utilities I believe that can correct the id3 tags properly but they didnt work for me. I managed to correct it by re-encoding the files in iTunes.

If you havent used iTunes to create the Mp3's in the first place, you need to make sure the encoding engine is set to MP3 (I think it defaults to aac).

1) open iTunes. (make sure you ahve the latest version)

2) Select Edit > Preferences

3) Click on the advanced tab, then the importing tab

4) Change the "import using" drop down box to "Mp3 encoder"
YOu can also change the bit rate encoding here to make sure it is the same quality your mp3's have been encoded with.

5) Click ok

6) Now go and select some of the problem tracks. Right click on them and you should see an option "convert selection to mp3". CLick this and it will create new mp3's for you with the id3 tags properly encoded.

Note that this process will create new files for you. Once you have verified it has worked, you can delete the original files.

I suggest you test a few different albums to make sure this is working. It has solved 99% of my problem files. I have one or two albums which still mysteriously wont appear, but I will find a solution soon!!

Let me know how you get on.

Mick
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2008, 02:02 PM   #5
drvai
Major
United_States
Rep

I had the time to do it and WORKED!!!
Thank you.

I just took all the mp3 to another computer (just in case) and re-ripped all the files to mp3 with iTunes. Now everything is organized.
Appreciate 0