E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Car won't start, clicks, starts after a bunch of tries

10-05-2018, 07:30 PM   #1
E92_James
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 440i | 2020 X3 X30i

Garage List
2019 F36 440i  [0.00]
Car won't start, clicks, starts after a bunch of tries

Okay let's see whats going on.. my (e92 of 1 month) is starting to be a bit temperamental with me, Let's start from the top:

Replaced the ugly halogen H8 bulbs for LUX H8 180,
Got a wierd adaptive light malfunction that went away after leaving the car off for a bit (hasn't come back for over a day now),
and my main issue, my car has been doing this every single time now...

What happens is that when I go to start it, foot on brake, push the start, I just hear a click and nothing, no cranks, nothing.. I try again, click, nothing, third time, it starts! Sometimes it takes 4 tries to start it but it's been doing this every single time I want to start the car, I even tried it right when I shut it off.. what could possibly be the issue now
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2018, 07:35 PM   #2
Nguyenhu0106
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by F32_James View Post
Okay let's see whats going on.. my (e92 of 1 month) is starting to be a bit temperamental with me, Let's start from the top:

Replaced the ugly halogen H8 bulbs for LUX H8 180,
Got a wierd adaptive light malfunction that went away after leaving the car off for a bit (hasn't come back for over a day now),
and my main issue, my car has been doing this every single time now...

What happens is that when I go to start it, foot on brake, push the start, I just hear a click and nothing, no cranks, nothing.. I try again, click, nothing, third time, it starts! Sometimes it takes 4 tries to start it but it's been doing this every single time I want to start the car, I even tried it right when I shut it off.. what could possibly be the issue now
Sounds like your battery is low, try throwing on a tender or jumping it to see if it starts.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2018, 08:41 PM   #3
bushwa
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

That or starter. Do these car store any codes in the ecu if the starter malfunctions?
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2018, 09:15 AM   #4
mecheng77
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i / 2014 M235i

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Yes they store a code for the starter from what I recall when my car would not start at all
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2018, 04:44 PM   #5
E92_James
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 F36 440i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mecheng77 View Post
Yes they store a code for the starter from what I recall when my car would not start at all
Checked the battery, batteries fine, tried jumpstarting, same outcome.. I think my starter may have died (overnight? really? )
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2018, 05:04 PM   #6
racermp
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 330i

Si starter
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2018, 08:47 PM   #7
ryan stewart
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 328it

Mine was starter and didn't throw any codes until it gave up for good, they literally day my replacement parts arrived.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2018, 11:27 PM   #8
DriveBikeRun
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i E90 M Sport

Has your car had the battery cable to fuse box recall done? Plenty of threads on here about it. Primary symptom is no start. It probably has, but just checking before you spend money on parts.
      10-07-2018, 09:52 AM   #9
tylerboland01
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 335i

Sounds like the starter solenoid is starting to stick.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2018, 10:21 PM   #10
PhaseP
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 325XI

Replace the starter. It won't start at all soon.

On mine the autopsy revealed the positive battery side brushes had gotten stuck on the brush holder tracks, not pushing down on to the commutator on the rotors, wear, dirt, plus heat. Negative side brushes weren't stuck because they are cooled better by being connected to the body of the starter as ground.

No codes thrown.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2018, 10:58 PM   #11
E92_James
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 F36 440i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhaseP View Post
Replace the starter. It won't start at all soon.

On mine the autopsy revealed the positive battery side brushes had gotten stuck on the brush holder tracks, not pushing down on to the commutator on the rotors, wear, dirt, plus heat. Negative side brushes weren't stuck because they are cooled better by being connected to the body of the starter as ground.

No codes thrown.
Yup, starter completely died on me I guess, oh well, getting towed to BMW tomorrow, good news is it's under warranty still.

p.s. how come my starter is a denso, isn't it supposed to be Bosch? I've never really seen a denso starter on an e92
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2018, 11:00 PM   #12
E92_James
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 F36 440i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveBikeRun View Post
Has your car had the battery cable to fuse box recall done? Plenty of threads on here about it. Primary symptom is no start. It probably has, but just checking before you spend money on parts.
Yup, the car had that recall done with the previous owner
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2018, 06:54 PM   #13
Josegut303
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 Bmw 335i E90 N55

I have a 2011 Bmw 335i e90 N55

I went in and did my spark plugs, and decided to change my oil. But before that I replaced my oil filter housing gasket. After I did all of that and set the car on the ground, i noticed I still had a small leak. So I let the car idle for a few minutes to let the oil heat up and run through the engine. Suddenly the oil leak got significantly worse. There one oil all over the front end of my engine. And on my hood and a little puddle of oil building next to the oil filter. I lost about 1 quart or 2 of oil. So after this I realized it was my oil cooler gasket. But now my problem is my car won't start i got a warning to turn off the car due to low oil so I did. Then when I went turn on the car again it didn't start. Just clickes and the dashbroad flickers then stop a second later. Any ideas on my my car won't start?
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2018, 09:15 PM   #14
PhaseP
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josegut303 View Post
I have a 2011 Bmw 335i e90 N55

I went in and did my spark plugs, and decided to change my oil. But before that I replaced my oil filter housing gasket. After I did all of that and set the car on the ground, i noticed I still had a small leak. So I let the car idle for a few minutes to let the oil heat up and run through the engine. Suddenly the oil leak got significantly worse. There one oil all over the front end of my engine. And on my hood and a little puddle of oil building next to the oil filter. I lost about 1 quart or 2 of oil. So after this I realized it was my oil cooler gasket. But now my problem is my car won't start i got a warning to turn off the car due to low oil so I did. Then when I went turn on the car again it didn't start. Just clickes and the dashbroad flickers then stop a second later. Any ideas on my my car won't start?
Can't help much with why it doesn't start, but your oil leak sounds very much like the black large o-ring that goes on to the oil filter cap rode up from its grove and is not sealing. It may not be your oil cooler gasket. It is not uncommon. The black large o-ring that seals the oil filter cap has to be fully inside and not visible at all when oil filter cap is screwed on, and it has to be on its correct groove at the filter cap. If you search you will find a good number of stories on this.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2018, 08:59 AM   #15
Josegut303
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 Bmw 335i E90 N55

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhaseP View Post
Can't help much with why it doesn't start, but your oil leak sounds very much like the black large o-ring that goes on to the oil filter cap rode up from its grove and is not sealing. It may not be your oil cooler gasket. It is not uncommon. The black large o-ring that seals the oil filter cap has to be fully inside and not visible at all when oil filter cap is screwed on, and it has to be on its correct groove at the filter cap. If you search you will find a good number of stories on this.
Okay so want do you recommend should i just tighten the cap more or unscrew the cap.and and reposition the O ring. Or should I replace it even through it's new.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2018, 02:26 PM   #16
mang.vang
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 09 335i m sport

Definitely starter. Had the same issue.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2018, 02:40 PM   #17
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 08 328xi Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josegut303 View Post
Okay so want do you recommend should i just tighten the cap more or unscrew the cap.and and reposition the O ring. Or should I replace it even through it's new.
you need to pop that cap, inspect the o ring.

if undamaged, make sure it's in the right spot and correctly install the cap.

since you're now unsure how much oil is in the car, and there's no dipstick, You're probably going to want to drain the remaining il so you can measure it and put back the correct amount.

I can't imagine that you lost enough oil in that time period to have run it dry and caused oil starvation, but maybe.

as to the no start, well it's possible you sprayed all the connections down with motor oil, and you need to clean them all. Starters also don't take well to being hosed down in oil. So othat's another possibility. You're gonna have to get in there and have a look at what got hosed with oil.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2018, 04:24 AM   #18
PhaseP
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsjames View Post
you need to pop that cap, inspect the o ring.

if undamaged, make sure it's in the right spot and correctly install the cap.

since you're now unsure how much oil is in the car, and there's no dipstick, You're probably going to want to drain the remaining il so you can measure it and put back the correct amount.

I can't imagine that you lost enough oil in that time period to have run it dry and caused oil starvation, but maybe.

as to the no start, well it's possible you sprayed all the connections down with motor oil, and you need to clean them all. Starters also don't take well to being hosed down in oil. So othat's another possibility. You're gonna have to get in there and have a look at what got hosed with oil.
What he said plus if you are not using oem or Mann filter which what oem is, buy a Mann filter and replace it along with the o-rings that come with the Mann filter. Make sure the big o-ring goes into the correct place on the cap, which is the second groove from top. Put some oil on the o-ring so it doesn’t bind and ride up as you are tightening the filter cap.
This is all assuming your leak is from oil filter cap, but really sounds like it, since it has pressurized oil there and on top of engine will spray everywhere including the under side of the hood. Only you can judge exactly where the leak was from though.
If your serpentine belt got oil on it, have to clean it good or better yet replace it. It can slip off with oil on it, especially if the tensioner is old. If it slips, it gets sucked into the engine from crank shaft seal under the crank shaft pulley. Hard to believe but lots of stories happening to people like that too. It is better to replace the belt in doubt and the tensioner also if it is cocked off and the belt is running off of its edge. Not worth taking the risk of engine damage. Search the forum for this you will find a lot of information.

When cleaning the engine bay from oil cover the alternator to not let any fluid get to it especially the back side of it where the brushes are located. Any fluid, oil or cleaning fluid, getting at brush area will prematurely wear out the brushes and the slip rings of the alternator. If the oil made it’s way to the Starter brushes inside of it, this may have caused it not work also, if it was already old.
You can try hitting the starter with an iron rod or something similar to free up the brushes if they got stuck and get it working. It is not easy though to reach the started, it is under the intake manifold towards the firewall. You can reach it between intake manifold tubes, but not enough clearance to hit it good.

Last edited by PhaseP; 10-11-2018 at 04:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2018, 05:52 AM   #19
juld0zer
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Prev 135i 7DCT, Now 130i 6sp

You'll be surprised how much oil can leak out within a minute. Never ever keep the engine running if it develops a noticeable leak. A leak won't seal up the longer you run the motor. The oil filter housing area receives full oil pressure. Never leave an engine running unattended after doing a major repair.

Personally i think your engine may have run out of oil if the warning came on. Since it doesn't crank and the dash flickers, it might actually be seized.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2018, 01:41 PM   #20
redblackbmw
Private
Rep
Drives: red/black 328i

Car wont start no noises no clicking..

Someone rear ended me..

A few days later my car wont start..

First thing i did was replace B+ cable, Car still wont start ..

did a read of codes all the codes using ob2 scan adapter are

U111A - NETWORK
U110F

How do i know for sure its starter..

The Red Airbag indicator comes on and Red brake light comes on when i press key in ignition, then an yellow explamation sign.

I checked fuses in the junction box..nothing is bad.

07 e90 328i ,

Please help
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2018, 04:11 PM   #21
PhaseP
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by redblackbmw View Post
Someone rear ended me..

A few days later my car wont start..

First thing i did was replace B+ cable, Car still wont start ..

did a read of codes all the codes using ob2 scan adapter are

U111A - NETWORK
U110F

How do i know for sure its starter..

The Red Airbag indicator comes on and Red brake light comes on when i press key in ignition, then an yellow explamation sign.

I checked fuses in the junction box..nothing is bad.

07 e90 328i ,

Please help
Most probably battery safety terminal pyro fuse went off at the battery plus terminal post. Search for BST, battery safety terminal.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2018, 05:43 PM   #22
737mechanic
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i

Here is the best video on starter troubleshooting.

Appreciate 0