F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Sorry - another tyre thread - Michelin
Studio RSR

10-06-2018, 08:52 AM   #1
Witney
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model-Y LR

Sorry - another tyre thread - Michelin

I have looked at lots of the threads and remain a bit confused, so hopefully the forum can help.

Just found a puncture in one of my original RF tyres which is annoying as I was hoping to keep for quite a while longer and then swap all across to non run flats. (I did this on my last BMW 3 series coupe and the difference was amazing although I know the RFs have improved in recent years.)

Car is 335D with X so:

Fronts 225/40/19
Rear 255/35/19

So I am looking at maybe swapping them all off, or just replacing one Bridgestone. The single replacement choice is probably the sensible financial option.

Looking at the Michelin I think everyone goes for the Pilot Super Sport? But if I got that route there are BMW approved ones and Xtra Load tyres.

My reading is that I can get the MPSS (BMW) for the rears, but they do not appear to do the MPSS in the front as BMW rated. Therefore is there any point in paying the premium for the BMW rears on their own or should I just go generic MPSS all round?

I also have seen that I can get the Michelin Pilot 4 Sport S or Michelin Pilot 4 Sports, again sometimes in BMW approved???

I was probably going to plump for the MPSS XL Generic all round unless I am missing something? Or are the MP4SS' now the way to go???

Confused!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2018, 09:13 AM   #2
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Definitely don't get MPSS, MP4S are better tyres and no more expensive.

But honestly Goodyear Asymmetric 3's are probably just as good for road use and a fair bit cheaper, I've got them on mine and they are great tyres!
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2018, 09:26 AM   #3
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

First cold and wet day of the autumn here and suddenly the back end is very playful. Must be getting towards new tyre time for me. Thanks for the tip on the Goodyears, they do look well priced.

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2018, 09:35 AM   #4
GEP77
Major
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model 3 Long Range.

I'd avoid mixing RFT and non-RFT on the same axle to start with.

Many on here have run MPSS tyres over the last few years and they are excellent tyres, however they are typically very expensive. The feedback from those who have used the Gooodyear tyres either as RFT or regular is very positive and they are normally very well priced.

As for the BMW markings on the MPSS. The 255/35R19s are one of the standard fit tyres on the front of the M3 and M4 hence the star mark.

I used to run the MPSS tyres on my 335d and they were excellent. They inspired so much more confidence in the car compared to the Bridgestones it came with, the only thing to note though is that they weren't that much quieter than the Bridgestones, this is something I believe the Goodyears excel at.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2018, 10:21 AM   #5
lethbridge
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 CP YMB

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 CP  [10.00]
No point in going with star marked if all four tyres can't be as the point of them amongst other things is to ensure the same rolling circumference front and rear. Many move to non runflats and hence non star marked on xDrive and I've not heard of many transfer box issues and none from what I recall that were blamed on correct sizes that just weren't star marked... Obviously don't end up with a mix of runflats and non... Personally I always found runflats to be fine and was happy to keep them as I spent most of my time on the m-way and didn't want the journey delay/risk that would be caused by a non runflat puncture. I get why people do change them out - ETTO.
      10-06-2018, 10:22 AM   #6
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEP77 View Post
I'd avoid mixing RFT and non-RFT on the same axle to start with.

Many on here have run MPSS tyres over the last few years and they are excellent tyres, however they are typically very expensive. The feedback from those who have used the Gooodyear tyres either as RFT or regular is very positive and they are normally very well priced.

As for the BMW markings on the MPSS. The 255/35R19s are one of the standard fit tyres on the front of the M3 and M4 hence the star mark.

I used to run the MPSS tyres on my 335d and they were excellent. They inspired so much more confidence in the car compared to the Bridgestones it came with, the only thing to note though is that they weren't that much quieter than the Bridgestones, this is something I believe the Goodyears excel at.
Yes the Goodyears are quieter and much better in the wet.
Appreciate 1
GEP77409.00
      10-07-2018, 09:17 AM   #7
Witney
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model-Y LR

Thanks all, really helpful and appreciated.

I ended up with a straight Potenza replacement, but I will be getting MPS4S when it is time to change. I know others rate the Goodyears, but my personal experience over many years of the outstanding performance and longevity of Michelin makes me very loyal to the brand!

The forthcoming swap to winters was also on my mind. Out of interest when are folks looking to make the change. I was thinking mid November unless the temperature plummets?
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2018, 10:31 AM   #8
NickyF
Rep
Drives: 458 Spider, Panamera Turbo ST

Another vote for PS4Ss. I haven’t got my F31 yet (few more weeks to wait - get on with it BMW..I’m bored of waiting now), but I have PS4Ss on my Alfa and they are the best tyres I’ve ever had. The standard fit P Zero Corsas melted after a few laps on Bedford Autodrome, but the Michelins have survived two full track days and 14000 miles, and still have a few mm left. They also work well in the cold and wet. Magic tyres.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2018, 01:00 PM   #9
GEP77
Major
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model 3 Long Range.

The Winter swap over is more dependent on where you live and whether or not you'll do it yourself.

For me (South East of England) I aim to swap sometime mid November. I do it myself so if there is a sudden awful forecast I can be fully wintered up in half an hour.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2018, 04:29 PM   #10
lethbridge
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 CP YMB

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 CP  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GEP77 View Post
The Winter swap over is more dependent on where you live and whether or not you'll do it yourself.

For me (South East of England) I aim to swap sometime mid November. I do it myself so if there is a sudden awful forecast I can be fully wintered up in half an hour.
Agree - all down to where you live and how critical your car is to you - for me in the SW winters are borderline pointless except in exceptional weather when the traffic will be gridlocked anyway so taking a taxi/train is by far the better investment (especially as I don't want some muppet without winters on - most won't - wiping out my new M3)... Other than that the rule is when the road temp is below 7 degrees when you are out on it you will stop sooner with winters when above you won't (assuming good tread on tyres)... Of course if your summers are below 3mm they will be outperformed by winters with good tread in heavy rain almost any time of year... The point is putting ice/snow to one side winters can make your car just as less likely to stop as summers if they are not used in the conditions they are designed for - it is down to wear and temperature...
      10-08-2018, 08:28 AM   #11
1966-TR4
Captain
Scotland
Rep
Drives: F31 330D xDrive MPPK ACS

Quote:
Originally Posted by lethbridge View Post
No point in going with star marked if all four tyres can't be as the point of them amongst other things is to ensure the same rolling circumference front and rear. Many move to non runflats and hence non star marked on xDrive and I've not heard of many transfer box issues and none from what I recall that were blamed on correct sizes that just weren't star marked... Obviously don't end up with a mix of runflats and non... Personally I always found runflats to be fine and was happy to keep them as I spent most of my time on the m-way and didn't want the journey delay/risk that would be caused by a non runflat puncture. I get why people do change them out - ETTO.
Yes, the * marked/xDrive/transfer box argument often gets brought up but there is nothing in the user manuals about using * marked tyres on an xDrive. What it does say is that * marked tyres will give the best handling and performance (I paraphrase) which I imagine is exactly what it says in sDrive manuals.

Gone but not forgotten: 1967 Triumph GT6 Mk1 (6 pot 2 litre widowmaker) 1966 Triumph TR4A (4 pot 2.2 litre, huge torque, lovely car) 2004 Audi TT 3.2 DSG Quattro (weak springs & nose heavy) 2006 VW Golf GTI (brilliant on good tyres)
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2018, 01:19 PM   #12
M2Andy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G01

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1966-TR4 View Post
Yes, the * marked/xDrive/transfer box argument often gets brought up but there is nothing in the user manuals about using * marked tyres on an xDrive. What it does say is that * marked tyres will give the best handling and performance (I paraphrase) which I imagine is exactly what it says in sDrive manuals.
I’m currently going through this myself as the spare set of wheels for my x3 are 19” and my preferred tyre is non * marked.

I contacted Bridgestone and Continental to ask if I was ok with non* and after consulting their technical departments, both came back and said I should only go with the * marked homologised tyres so

Now I have no idea if I’ve got any come back should my transfer box have a wobbly
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2018, 03:03 PM   #13
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

I've always found MPSS superb tyres once warmed up. MP4S the new replacement and therefore better I assume. I actually didn't think you could get MPSS anymore?

*runs to check what came on my car....

LoL ok MPSS still it is on M3/4
      10-08-2018, 03:07 PM   #14
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
I've always found MPSS superb tyres once warmed up. MP4S the new replacement and therefore better I assume. I actually didn't think you could get MPSS anymore?

*runs to check what came on my car....

LoL ok MPSS still it is on M3/4
Yes M3’s won’t have MPS4’s as they’ve only been homolagated for Gxx cars so far.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2018, 03:47 PM   #15
Liquidfox
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by lethbridge View Post
Other than that the rule is when the road temp is below 7 degrees when you are out on it you will stop sooner with winters when above you won't (assuming good tread on tyres)...
I disagree, the reference summer tyre in most winter tyre tests always beats the winters in dry and wet braking, it's usually only the aquaplaning and snow tests where the winters come up top.
Appreciate 0